Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 11:36pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't say I agree, I would like him to be more aggresive on his feet, but he passed guard all over the place on Hardy. He just never managed to finish. I don't want to derail this thread though, anymore then we already have haha.

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 11:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Athleticism + supplements + world class training + A SOLID FUCKING GAME PLAN

He has the money to afford all of these and the intelligence to use them. Guys don't train like GSP and they don't fight like him either. In a long enough fight he could finish practically everyone he could out wrestle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 11:55pm

Style: CSW BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli View Post
    Athleticism + supplements + world class training + A SOLID FUCKING GAME PLAN
    This.

His wrestling is superb, but id like to see more of an aggressive ground game. I was hoping he would start slamming and suplexing Hardy after he refused to tap to that Armbar. But he had a plan and stuck with it, took his back -every- time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2010 12:14am

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    No. Unfortunately there are precious few 'elite' strikers in MMA, and Hardy is not one of them. tbh I can't actually think of any in the Welterweight division, except maybe daley but I have no idea of his muay thai record.
    How about Alves??

Honestly? i'm not really up on the whos who of strikers in MMA. Is it that GSP hasn't come up against a serious striker/takedown defense guy??

or is it,as has already been said....

..Athleticism + supplements + world class training + A SOLID FUCKING GAME PLAN?...

.. and the intelligence to use them??

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/03/2010 12:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always thought it had a lot to do with his setup. I don't think his shot is so much better than anyone else in MMA, he just times it so perfectly everytime. His opponents almost always get taken down during a striking exchange. GSP either slips their punches or straightens them up with quick punches to the head, then shoots incredibly fast while they're either worried about striking or being struck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2010 2:01am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How exactly is Dan Hardy not a world class striker? Just look at the accuracy of his punches and kicks, and look at his mma record. I think its just hard to punch someone when they're going for takedowns. The moment Hardy gets close enough to deliver a good punch or kick, GSP is a step outside of takedown range. And I'm no fighter but it sure doesn't look easy to strike someone when they're going for a takedown. You can't punch very well, and if you try and kick or knee it had better count or you can bet you'll be on your back.

Also what does being a world class striker have to do with good grappling defense? Cheik Congo is a world class striker, and until recently his ground game was practically non-existent.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    4/03/2010 2:22am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know the OP recalls this, but when GSP first appeared in the UFC he was considered primarily a striker. ie Training out of the Wat w/ Phil Nurse, knocking out Matt Hughes with an awesomely timed kick. I believe is just GSP using his striking skills to completely avoid prolonged striking exchanges

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2010 3:39am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, there was a pretty good article on GSP's technique in "Fighters Only" a few issues back - http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.u...em.php?pid=121 ("Fight like GSP").

FWIW.

It deals a fair bit with how GSP develops speed and generates power in takedowns.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/03/2010 4:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiPhil889 View Post
    How about Alves??
    he is a GOOD striker. He is not an ELITE striker.

I would class those who are elite in their field as being able to compete in top level competition in their area of experise outside of mma.

these include:

cro crop (long ago)
    McSweeney
    Lesnar
    Hughes
    GSP (although no previous wrestling record has considered going for the olympic team)

..see what I'm going for here?
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2010 12:21am

Style: Christopher Hitchens-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have trouble accepting that GSP is an 'elite wrestler', if by wrestler, people mean freestyle wrestler.

GSP is an amazing 'takedown artist', but he is unproven in freestyle type wrestling. freestyle wrestling is a very complex sport, and GSP hasn't displayed qualities of an elite 'wrestler' in MMA, in my opinion. granted, other high caliber wrestlers don't display all their wrestling specific moves in MMA either, because of the greatly different ruleset, but guys like couture, henderson, severn, and the host of others, have proven themselves in wrestling first, in greco and folk.

we hear that 'oh, he trains with the national team' , 'he considered trying out for the olympic team', etc., but i am certain that he'll have his ass handed to him if he went to the trials. being an amazing athlete, and a grappler, he certainly has a shot, but only with at least couple of years of full-time freestyle training.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast