Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Untouchable Grappler, aka GSP's Takedowns

So we know that grapplers are at their most vulnerable when they're trying to get the fight to the ground, whether by shoot or by clinch. But looking at GSP's last two fights (against two of the best strikers at 170), he only took three significant strikes to the head against Alves, and absolutely NO strikes when facing Hardy. No elbows to the spine, no knees to the face, nothing to catch him as he's coming in.

Is there something special about GSP's takedowns? What can I do to make my doubles and singles as good as his?

I'm not a great wrestler, so I don't know if there's something to his technique, or if it's just conditioning, or if it's some genetic gift. All I know is that I want to grapple and not take any strikes for my troubles in a fight.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 3:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Timing+Speed+technique= takedown.

He is an elite wrestler. I don't see any other way to explain it
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 3:20pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    Timing+Speed+technique= takedown.

He is an elite wrestler. I don't see any other way to explain it
    Shouldn't the fact that he's up against an elite striker come into it tho?? Against an average striker then sure,walk all over them,but against someone who strikes well, who KNOWS that he has good takedowns and STILL can't hit him???

In theory?? should an average grappler be able to reproduce the same success against an average striker?? I would have thought "yes". The obvious answer seems to be ..... repetition?? practice over and over and over and over ad nauseum until perfection is achieved??

Sorry i can't be more help.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 3:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess what I'm wondering is if GSP is doing anything differently than other wrestlers. No one else in the UFC (or the sport of MMA, I'd wager) hits takedowns as accurately or consistently as he does, and I can't think of anyone else that has avoided getting hit as much as he has. Even top grapplers like Aoki and Maia get tagged, but GSP seems untouchable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 3:47pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it is more of a matter of a great wrestler fighting good strikers. Also Hardy has 0 take down defense from what I have seen.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 6:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiPhil889 View Post
    Shouldn't the fact that he's up against an elite striker come into it tho??
    No. Unfortunately there are precious few 'elite' strikers in MMA, and Hardy is not one of them. tbh I can't actually think of any in the Welterweight division, except maybe daley but I have no idea of his muay thai record.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 9:10pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only seen Daley a few times and I don't remember him seeming that technical, but maybe it was just the particular fight or i was drunk or something. But yeah I think practice the shoots until you puke and look at his setups. GSP usually strikes just enough to lure them in and then BAM shoots under their strikes or when they are open.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 9:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Daley has trained with Dutch K1 fighters so he has to have at least some technical striking skill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 9:48pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, I didnt mean to say he was a Kimboesque brawler, but I just see his name thrown around with the elite strikers at 170 lots and I haven't really seen evidence myself. I could be totally wrong on this though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 10:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I really like Daley even though he is new, I hope he does well. But I don't want him to fight GSP until he is actually ready. As a Canadian I love GSP, but I really can't stand his new wrestling, "don't pass guard approach".
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast