Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2010 6:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tai chi, silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

teaching police UDT after many years layoff

I was recently asked to teach unarmed defensive tactics to local police in Thailand. The problem is, although I was a defensive tactics instructor for department back in US, that was a long time ago. I have been retired now for 4 years, and prior to that I was supervisor and, although I have never stopped training in martial arts and work out regularly, I have not taught others in years. Also, I now suffer from herniated disk and do not really want trainees throwing me around onto the ground. On the one hand, I feel I could contribute something worthwhile to these guys, as their current training seems to have much to be desired, but on the other I don't know if I have been away from training for too long.Has anyone out their been through a similar situation, or have some suggestion about what to do, as I have been thinking maybe I should tell this department to try to find someone younger and who has taught more recently. Thanks.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/31/2010 6:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're genuinely capable of teaching these guys stuff that will keep their asses out of coffins then go for it imo.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    3/31/2010 6:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with Mickey on this.

I've had instructors who were pretty old, and obviously I didn't go around craking their spines over my knee. (They would have kicked my ass anyways...) But I learned more from those old guys than I did from any of the younger dudes I've worked with.

It's your experience, and knowledge that give you the power to teach. Not your physical prowess. Just cause your not in peak condition, doesn't mean you can't be a good teacher. (Doesn't mean you wouldn't kick some asses if you had too either!)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 5:23am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys for vote of confidence. I was thinking sort of the same things you are saying here. I remeber some of my old instructors, some of whom were as old as I am now, and I learned a lot from them. Have nothing to lose really so I decided to give it a shot. Beats playing golf. At least for me since I suck.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 11:19am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have taught DT classes at the Prison before and helped instructors as well. I know when I was coming up through years of DT training, we always used to joke about the new instructors that would come in that never had a Logged use of force, or had never even walked the compound. Yeah, they know what the book says to do, but they have never eperienced the "O ****" factor. Those instructors suck because you can't believe a word they say.

If you have been there and done that, then you are a better instructor just because the guys will respect you more and your personal experiences will add more to the training.

Also, as soon as you get on the matts and start teaching, it will all come back to you pretty quick. Trust me the new cocks love learning from that old salty instructor, even though they know they can toss you at will. Something in the back of their mind says, "maybe I can't". That is why they called you.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 6:12am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Diesel. You obviously have been there yourself and know what you are talking about. One good thing about teaching these Thai cops is they are mostly little guys, although they can really bust your legs up with the muay Thai. The other good thing here is that the Asians are real big on respecting their elders, so maybe they will take it easy on an old man.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 8:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do it. I'd bone up on some stuff like weapons retention, unarmed combative techniques, joint/wrist/arm locks, takedowns, use of batons, dealing with getting peppered while using it on someone else, knife/stick defense, and maintaining proper situational awareness.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/03/2010 5:59am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All of the things you mentioned will be in the program, except the pepper spray. For some reason they do not use that much here, preferring instead to just bash the arrestees in the head or shoot them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2010 10:58am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the herniated disk would be a concern to me, too, but you said you've never stopped working out in MA. So, find a nice, compliant, young guy to act as your training dummy. Otherwise, don't worry about it. You've taught before, and that's a bit like a bicycle - once you get back into teaching mode, it'll all come back to you, what works and what doesn't. Have fun!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/03/2010 3:26pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a shame about not using peper spray. It sure has been effective for me!!!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast