Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 8:39am

Style: Standup, Ground-fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    This leads me to believe no one reads the explanation threads.

You do know this exact phrase led to the creation of the aliveness FAQ with videos right? I was explaining it to someone just like this thread and went to get a few videos to define the differences.

So, no, words can be misinterpreted just like the numbers.
    Yes, but at least you have to actively misinterpret them. With the numbers you just need to not bother looking at the stickies and assume "I love it so it's a 10." Maybe we could have a system where you describe the school and a robot picks the numbers! Or maybe a robot that visits schools and reviews them objectively. Or an x-ray satellite that looks through the gyms' roofs and

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 8:48am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You just said 13 1/2 so now, I can't take you seriously.
    i suspect we may be at cross purposes.

do you feel that a purposely arbitrary number thrown out as an example somehow contradicts, rather than supports, my point that purposely arbitrary scales are superior?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 8:58am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing-Kwan-Fu View Post
    Yes, but at least you have to actively misinterpret them.
    No, you don't. People have issues with descriptions all the time. Full Contact Vs. Hard Contact is one. Fight vs Fght is another. That's why we added videos. Your definition of medium contact most likely doesn't match mine. We may even split hairs. I have seen people argue about the video descriptions before.

You also have to factor in contact levels according to how you train. When I started posting, I thought we did full contact sparring in my former school. We did hard to medium-hard contact. Funny thing is, I have seen videos here with titles like "Full Contact, Hard contact, Fight" that is at a level far below my McDojo school.

I personally think the number system should go away and it should be a purely written review system

do you feel that a purposely arbitrary number thrown out as an example somehow contradicts, rather than supports, my point that purposely arbitrary scales are superior?
    You said you were serious about the 131/2 point system which, would make the problem worse. Now, it is an arbitrary number you threw out to say an arbitrary system is superior?

I have no clue where you stand at all.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 4/02/2010 9:04am at .

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 9:20am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i believe i said "thirteen and a half or so." the idea is not tied to that specific number, but that number suits the idea well. blue judogis didn't need to be blue, per se, but blue suited the purpose as well as another color would.

go to a chain restaurant. find a customer satisfaction survey. chances are, they ask you to rate things on a scale of 1-7. why? cause it's NOT 5 or 10. it sets out to make you think "well, sure, but did they go the extra mile? i mean, seven." that sort of thing.

13.5 - which, i assure you, was a completely arbitrary choice, simply a prime number larger than 10, with a fraction added for good measure - has the same purpose. with luck, it will get at least a few people to think about the ratings they assign, and maybe use some decent granularity.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 9:41am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli View Post
    i believe i said "thirteen and a half or so." the idea is not tied to that specific number, but that number suits the idea well. blue judogis didn't need to be blue, per se, but blue suited the purpose as well as another color would.

go to a chain restaurant. find a customer satisfaction survey. chances are, they ask you to rate things on a scale of 1-7. why? cause it's NOT 5 or 10. it sets out to make you think "well, sure, but did they go the extra mile? i mean, seven." that sort of thing.

13.5 - which, i assure you, was a completely arbitrary choice, simply a prime number larger than 10, with a fraction added for good measure - has the same purpose. with luck, it will get at least a few people to think about the ratings they assign, and maybe use some decent granularity.
    I understand that and I'm saying this isn't about numbers at all. It is about ego. Even when it is explained people still flip out. I have seen the reviews you are talking about and it is funny because, people tend to do one of two things everything is high or everything is low. I did surveys and it is pretty funny. When they replace the numbers with words it is the same thing.

Like I said the system is broke and numbers, phrases, definitions, are going to get in the way regardless of what system we use.

People rarely think when they write reviews. The ones that do have three posts.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 11:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a question about the scoring system as it comes to the instructors, according to the website, Richard Alvoid who's one of the senior students handles the daily instruction is a "a multiple time international push hands champion" if this can be verified (my googlefu is failing me when it comes to doing this) would that allow for a 8-9 rating?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 11:33pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, the push hands would not help at all.

If the video highlight is an indication of the Push hands no.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 11:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great, helps me understand a bit more about how the rating system is meant to work.

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 7:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have done push hands every night that I have trained there. But I will note that last night, while we did a lot of push hands, it was emphasized that push hands is used as a drill and not to be considered fighting.

Also to note is that members of the Pensacola Kung Fu school will be competing at the World Sanda Qualifier next month. And they have class A,B,and C fighters in that competition.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 9:24pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And really, I've seen as many of you undoubtly have, push hands principles at work in 100% fighting situations. Talk about incredible power. I've only met one person in my life who can do this, however.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast