Sponsored Links Spacer Image

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 10:30pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also, please understand that we try to keep ratings empirical - a 10 for "competing" just isn't the system. If you want kung fu to be treated fairly, don't inflate the score of a kung fu school for standing out by doing what they ought to be doing.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    3/31/2010 12:24pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah! There are kung fu schools like that here and there. The local kung-fu guy here in gainesville is Sifu Desmond Jackson teaching Whirling tiger Kung-fu.

He is able to teach students to apply internal techniques to improve power in many ways. He came out to UF Kickboxing as a guest once, and showed the students the same "he goes flying" demonstration on me. I did go flying.

Funny, his standard of whether the strike was sufficiently powerful or not is whether the target "went flying"

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2010 8:41pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was not inflating a scoring system for anything. I was giving actual values to what is an objective rating system. Just because I am not a BJJ or MMA nut hugger like everyone else, doesn't make the school any worse. I lowered the striking from a 10 so you can suck off about it. Why keep bringing the same **** up after it is resolved?

If you don't want people using the 10 button unless you are GSP or Anderson Silva, then say it. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you are sweating a school that is located no where near where you are. But if you want to visit the school, and make your own rating, feel free to do so.

You know this would be a pretty good school database for everyone to be able to look at what training is like for different schools. Except for the fact that every time someone posts a school review they get flamed if it is not a BJJ or MMA school. I hate to break it to you, but some people just don't give a **** about training in BJJ or MMA.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/31/2010 10:47pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    I was not inflating a scoring system for anything. I was giving actual values to what is an objective rating system. Just because I am not a BJJ or MMA nut hugger like everyone else, doesn't make the school any worse. I lowered the striking from a 10 so you can suck off about it. Why keep bringing the same **** up after it is resolved?

If you don't want people using the 10 button unless you are GSP or Anderson Silva, then say it. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you are sweating a school that is located no where near where you are. But if you want to visit the school, and make your own rating, feel free to do so.

You know this would be a pretty good school database for everyone to be able to look at what training is like for different schools. Except for the fact that every time someone posts a school review they get flamed if it is not a BJJ or MMA school. I hate to break it to you, but some people just don't give a **** about training in BJJ or MMA.

Yes, if you rate the instruction at your school a 10, it should be a prominent national competitor/trainer, ie a household name. if you rate in an 8, it should be a very prominent competitor/trainer. "Royce Gracie" would be a 10 in grappling. A guy like SamboSteve - a prominent figure in his sport, with his own stand-alone skills and record to go with that prominence - would be an 8-9.

a 6,7,8 is a good, great, acceptable. a 9-10 is a truly exceptional/absolutely superlative school for pros or people for whom cost is no object.

The object of the ratings system is to place EVERY school on one continuim. YES, Anderson Silva, GSP, etc - those people and their trainers DO teach and they ARE on the scale with the school you ranked.

The majority of the people we have to have this conversation with are school owners who post ONLY thier review thread and you're clearly a more interactive member than that. Please don't make this into a personal or TMA/MMA thing.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/31/2010 11:06pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This complaint is kind of ironic considering the specificity of your current style field.

It is kind of quick to develop the CMA Shoulder Chip.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 10:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    Yes, if you rate the instruction at your school a 10, it should be a prominent national competitor/trainer, ie a household name. if you rate in an 8, it should be a very prominent competitor/trainer. "Royce Gracie" would be a 10 in grappling. A guy like SamboSteve - a prominent figure in his sport, with his own stand-alone skills and record to go with that prominence - would be an 8-9.

a 6,7,8 is a good, great, acceptable. a 9-10 is a truly exceptional/absolutely superlative school for pros or people for whom cost is no object.

The object of the ratings system is to place EVERY school on one continuim. YES, Anderson Silva, GSP, etc - those people and their trainers DO teach and they ARE on the scale with the school you ranked.

The majority of the people we have to have this conversation with are school owners who post ONLY thier review thread and you're clearly a more interactive member than that. Please don't make this into a personal or TMA/MMA thing.
    No I definately don't want a TMA/MMA thread atleast not here. It has been talked about plenty. When I did the review I had the guideline thread pulled up right next to it and was trying to use that to make my numbers accurate. If your guidelines would have been on there next to striking, then I would have rated it accordingly. I adjusted the striking, but at least now everyone knows where I am coming from just from reading the thread. I have no issues, with people questioning my motives, because I can justify my self well, as I have no alterior motives.

My main motive is that, I had been looking at this particular school for a while but was not able to get much information about it. So I wanted to make it easier for other people. If you had ever visited this area, you would know that we have Mcdojos almost as much as we have Baptist Churches. So it is hard to weed through the BS.

IIF- If you read any of my posts, you will see that I was put off from BJJ pretty quick into my training. I've trained in BJJ, wrestling, and Combatives for Law Enforcement which I taught at the Prison. I have trained with people of many different styles. I've seen a lot of competent fighters from lots of different styles. I am not promoting CMA as much as this particular school/people/training style. Irony or no irony, whatever. It is what it is.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 1:17pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I definately don't want a TMA/MMA thread atleast not here. It has been talked about plenty.
    This and your earlier post about not wanting MMA vs CMA discusion makes it ironic. Also, your style field doesn't help.

IIF- If you read any of my posts, you will see that I was put off from BJJ pretty quick into my training. I've trained in BJJ, wrestling, and Combatives for Law Enforcement which I taught at the Prison. I have trained with people of many different styles. I've seen a lot of competent fighters from lots of different styles. I am not promoting CMA as much as this particular school/people/training style. Irony or no irony, whatever. It is what it is.
    I don't care about your other posts at this time. All it does is hurt your review and has you showing bias right now.

You have ex-mma, Xingyi (With an H can't remember) that's the irony. You are arguing against the BULLSHDO RATING system using the BJJ vs CMA argument while, trumpeting it form your style field. I have Xingyi in my style no "ex-<insert Style>.

That's the irony.

Look I love when people review CMA schools that are legit. I'm also right in there when they inflate ratings. Sorry, until there are recognized Pro competition venues, like they have in China, a CMA school will never get a 10 according to Bullshido rating criteria in certain areas. That's what many people fail to understand. If Bullshido is based on a specific competition criteria, for 10's, we can't tweak it because CMA school X trains like ATT MMA school but, they only compete at an Amateur level.

Now, wait, don't go but they'd kick your ass route. This is not a denigration of their skill level. It is putting perspective on Bullshido competition criteria and reviewers perceptions.

The school sounds good but, what the teachers did in their past has no bearing on the quality of the competition of his students.

If you need an example think of the TUF season with Shamrock. He was a respected fighter but, his coaching sucked. So, if he ran a school and his students never got above amateur evens, Shamroc'ks school would not deserve a 10 even though he competed regularly in the UFC.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 4/01/2010 1:21pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 1:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I understand that and actually it is funny because Master Caughlin actually brought up the same point when I was speaking to him. He emphasized that lots of good competitors make bad teachers and vis versa.

The reason I put ex-MMA, Present-Kung Fu (not Xing Yi) in my style field is because that is what I am doing and have done. Not as an afront to MMA, but because there are a few threads where people were asked to change their style field so that it doesn't look like they are talking out of there arse when they say something about a style that they are not doing.

No worries about me saying somethig about CMA on a CMA board becuse I really don't have the background to education to talk about CMA. But I have a pretty good back grount o talk about MMA and grappling, so I put that up there so someone wouldn't say, "why are you talking about wrestling and omoplata's when you study Kung Fu".

So if you are saying that a CMA school will never get a 10. Why don't you be a little clearer about that when you put up the rating system? I read the sticky's and didn't see that listed there. I also rated the school based on the rating system that was in the thread. Maybe someone should be a little clearer on that system?
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    10: Superior excellence including A-level competitors/instructors

The sticky is pretty clear. Who are the A-level competitors (top pro ranks, Olympics, whatnot) coming out of the school? If there are none, then it isn't a 10. A slash mark is often equivalent to a hyphen, an ampersand, or serves to juxtapose two elements. It generally doesn't mean "one or the other."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 1:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I didn't understand what A level competetor was. My bad.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast