Sponsored Links Spacer Image

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 9:48am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    I agree the rating seem high but there is a competition video on their website. Looks like several solid amateurs in Sanda and Grappling tournaments.
    But amateur events do not equal a ten. I think the example for a ten was something like ATT Orlando, huge facility, golden gloves boxing coach, Muay Thai fighters with awesome records, etc. etc. etc.

Just bothers me when I see ratings with tens, tens should be incredibly rare.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 9:59am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gongfu has such a poor rep around here that I think anyone who walks into a school and experiences actual, you know, gong, gets a little too happy and inflates the grades.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't put the gym size as a 10. You are looking at the wrong one. I put gym size as a 6.

As far as grappling tournaments, they have video of their grappling tournaments and San Da competitions.

The instructors have competed in kickboxing and Master Coughlin has verifiable leniage in instruction. To me that means that he is legit and there is no reason to drop that raiting scale. I would not rate a Kung Fu school based on MT or Boxing coaches because it is not a MT or boxing school. The do push hands and compete, San Da and Compete. That is enough for a 10 in my opinion. However anyone is welcome to visit the school and adjust the ratings based on their experience.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 11:00am

Style: tae kwan do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curios as to what weapons they train with, and how?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 12:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure about the weapons. I saw a bunch of them there, mostly bo and some crazy looking staff that had a blade on the end of it. I'm not sure what kind of training they do with them. I will have to ask later.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 3:38pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Gongfu has such a poor rep around here that I think anyone who walks into a school and experiences actual, you know, gong, gets a little too happy and inflates the grades.
    and some people just go in looking for things wrong that they will be harsher too than a "mediocre" boxing gym or something else similar.

it all depends on the individual which is why we should hope more than one person rates a gym to get multiple opinions and takes.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 4:59pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Rupture Clothing: American Made MMA Gear and Apparel Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would actually love to see a second rating on this school (not that I don't trust diesel_tke) but for another opinion or perspective. As an aside, I think it's great that a TMA (especially Kung-Fu) school focuses on aliveness, striking and grappling.

Diesel_tke, which parts of the training did you find physically demanding? When I was a kid and did Vovinam for a while, the warm-ups alone were brutal. Just curious.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 6:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the warm ups was a thing called "Fuhu Gong". We only did 3 sets because they were teaching me as they went along. But they said that sometimes they will do up to 21. That is ridiculous to me. Then we went through some Qi Gong(I believe) which was pretty cool but tired out my legs even more. We did some stuff where you walk around in a circle and there are kicks and punches that are done as you walk. There was also some moves that were similar to Thai Boxing like shin checks, tepes, and roundhouse kicks. But it was all incorporated into this constant motion and movement. It was actually a lot of fun. We went on from there to do other stuff like Tai Chi Chuan and Xing Yi.

I hope that more people will rate the school. But I will also come back regularly and change stuff as I get more familiar with the school and systems. This is the first real Kung Fu school I have ever been to, and based on this experience, I am not sure why the Kung Fu gets such crappy reputation.

But yes, everyone has to also take into consideration that I just started here. But they do have a video on you tube that shows other stuff too.
    Last edited by Diesel_tke; 3/31/2010 8:31pm at . Reason: spelling
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 10:26pm

Style: Standup, Ground-fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you say the instructor is a bad push-puncher?

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 10:28pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am very curious about the grappling system that turns out champions by teaching "body mechanics" instead of spending "hours drilling on the ground"
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast