Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/29/2010 9:43pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Pensacola Kung Fu School

So I went in expecting the worst and hoping for the best. I read the bio of Master Coughlin on various web sites. I spoke to the instructor, Jared, who is a senior student. He was very inviting and offered for me to come in and check them out. I was a little reluctant after 10 years of kickboxing and 5 years of grappling, but figured I would try them out.

So I went early, as is my nature, and Master Coughlin was there with Jared. I recognized both of them from the website, and was a little taken back to be meeting such a high level master on the first day. I was hoping to be able to practice for a few months that way I wouldn't look like the idiot that I did!! So we talked for a while as he was sizing me up and making sure I wasn't a psycho(I guess). He told me a lot about his history and what he does currently, which was even more humbling.

Master Coughlin showed me some stuff on his senior student, that was very impressive. Not jumping-flying-twist-kicks. When he put his weight into Jared, to demonstrate a strike, Jared flew a couple of feet back. Not chi flying which was evident when you heard a loud thump of flesh contacting flesh.

Then we got down to what I was there for. To see what this Kung Fu is all about. We went through a warm up for them, which is called a work out where I'm from. I was exhausted, and they were hardly breathing! Then we did some techniques, which were awesome! Not what I thought Kung Fu was like. It wasn't secret hidden techniques. I could see the combat application as soon as we started. Very effective.

A lot of the stuff was similar to stuff I've done in wrestling and BJJ. Then striking was directly applicable to any kickboxing that I have done. The training was fun and difficult at the same time. It left you tired and yearning for more.

The only thing that was bad in the whole experience was the knowledge that I could have been training here for years and wasn't. But, better late than never. I'll be going for more training on Wed, and I hope to be there for a long time!!!
    Last edited by Diesel_tke; 8/01/2010 9:47pm at .
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    3/29/2010 10:14pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool.

They compete out of that school?
    I see you rated Aliveness a 9, what would you change to make it a '10' like when you used to instruct?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 2:36am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tell us more about the grappling.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 5:53am

Style: sambo, stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually had to check my calendar when I read this.

But seeing as today is the 30th of march, and posting an april-fools joke two days too early would be epic fail... I am sure you are way above such trivial failure.

There can never be too many good kung-fu schools. Someone has to make up for all the bullshit. Rock on!
    Last edited by kwan_dao; 3/30/2010 6:02am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 7:46am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main reason I didn't change it to 10 was because there is not an active MMA team competing. And I actually feel that they are more restrained in the sparring. Sparring is done and there is equipment to do it with, but it is not the only focus of the school. It is not done every lesson and it is not done imediately. Master Coughlin does have a group of people that go to his school in Destin on weekends to train in full contact sparring.

But mainly it was just because there is no active MMA team. Otherwise I would have made it a 10.

As far as grappling goes, the teaching is based on body mechanics, movement, and motion. It is not the way a BJJ school does it, with drilling on the ground for hours. The mechanics of why a technique works is shown and then the individual is able to use it with their own body composition to make it their own. I will probably talk more about this when more grappling is done. I can tell you that they think very highly of BJJ, Sambo, and Judo as far as grappling focused training. Also many of the members have competing in local grappling tournaments and done well.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 8:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What comps has this school done well in?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 8:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wait, did you observe the grappling training? did you HEAR about it? Or did you PARTICIPATE in it?

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 8:45am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the school really 10,000+ square feet? That's what a size of 10 refers to. If so, damn. If not....

Is the striking really a ten? Given this definition: 8-9: Pressure-tested, full range striking and proven success in limited restriction, top level competitions or high level self defense situations.
    10: Superior excellence including A-level competitors/instructor

I'm not saying you are wrong, I do not know the school, it just surprises me.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 9:24am

Style: tae kwan do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    interesting, I was thinking of checking out this school in the next few weeks myself.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 9:27am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree the rating seem high but there is a competition video on their website. Looks like several solid amateurs in Sanda and Grappling tournaments.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast