224779 Bullies, 3729 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Which of the following is most damaging to Martial Arts?

Voters
1180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mc Dojos

413 35.00%
  • Charlatans / Bullshido Artists

387 32.80%
  • Bruce Lee

31 2.63%
  • MMA Events

41 3.47%
  • Mysticism

180 15.25%
  • Technology (internet, games etc)

28 2.37%
  • The Karate Kid

50 4.24%
  • All other MA films

40 3.39%
  • MA-based childrens' toys

10 0.85%
Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960 61 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Weak

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 5:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelpong2
    My friend, check this out as a prime example:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=ninjer+lover

Note the immediate bullrush on the comments section of the you tube vid
    Colonel - hahahaha, that vid made me laugh :D

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 1:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say Mysticism

That includes those Discovery Channel and BBC Documentaries where they show those martial artists who suddently get possessed and start training or Ninjas who are pretty much LARPing

That also includes MA films where one guys beats up 100+ guys (ie Tony Jaa, Bruce Lee, Jet Li)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 11:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Still Choosing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say McDojos since they are those that endanger people's lives seeing that those people believe and have the confidence to use a badly taught martial art against some one with a knife or a gun and believing it works.

I also don't really like over protective parents since they are mainly a reason why some instructors doesn't spar or teach their students have to fight in a self-defense situation. Not many parents would like to see their kid learning how to really fight since some think martial art is some kind of day-care.

P.S. Anime shows like Naruto also attracts some pretty weird kids into martial arts..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 7:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was torn between McDojo's and Charlatans, and then I realized if the various Frank Dux's of the world were gone that it would also get rid of a majority of the McDojo's.

yes....

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 8:02pm

Style: drunken bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i didn't vote... but i'd say it's a combination of all the options.

martial arts has become viewed as glamour as opposed to discipline.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 8:52pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glaive
    I was torn between McDojo's and Charlatans, and then I realized if the various Frank Dux's of the world were gone that it would also get rid of a majority of the McDojo's.
    I disagree, I think the majority of McDojo's are run by people who really don't know any better and just kind of go along with things. It's amazing how much things can slowly change over the years, for example...

You start out with an instructor who did a lot of farily decent karate (etc.) in the '70s and '80s, no ground game, but you'd always come away with a few bruises (i.e. no soccer-moms). And he sets up shop, and teaches in much the same way he was taught, and the years go by. And as the years go by you get Karate Kid, TMNT, Power Rangers so the demand to teach the kids increases. Kid classes are added, but it's still pretty seperate to what the adults are doing. And the years go by, there's much more said about parents and kids doing activities together, and as there are kid and adult classes (as opposed to other organized sports) so naturally the number of families increases. As that happens, the standards from back in the day slowly give way to accomodate middle aged men and women. And out of that environment new students who were trained in that environment go off to start schools...forms are growing increasingly important given the American attitude that things should be easy and only give the impression of hard work (and in some cases meditation...I've tried actual zazen meditation before, and that **** is really hard, a far cry from sitting still for 2 mintues at the end of class). Fighting is less important than confidence and fitness (for both kids and adults), and a lot of back-patting is introduced more out of ignorance than a willful disregard of reality.

I think that's where most crappy MA is at the moment. If people could get past the ignorance and accept where they're at with respect to reality many would be much better off...though it's anyone's guess as to how far away that is, and my guess is 'a while'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2007 3:53pm

Style: Taijutsu/Karate/Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what pisses me off is when some idiot is watching martial arts movies(bruce lee, jet li, jackie chan) and he automatically classifies them all as karate...

To me movies sometimes over-do martial arts and make them seem more mystical than they are. One other thing are those people that think they can shoot chi or whatever, that seems pretty crazy.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    5/21/2007 8:13pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Buddha Palm move in Kung Fu Hustle was based on fact, so you can shut the **** up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2007 8:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well there are also accounts in old scrolls or whatever of buddhist or shaolin(cant remember) monks flying...but thats not the point.
    go to youtube and look at MMA fighter vs fake aikido master then come talk to me...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2007 8:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!