232564 Bullies, 3979 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Which of the following is most damaging to Martial Arts?

Voters
1180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mc Dojos

413 35.00%
  • Charlatans / Bullshido Artists

387 32.80%
  • Bruce Lee

31 2.63%
  • MMA Events

41 3.47%
  • Mysticism

180 15.25%
  • Technology (internet, games etc)

28 2.37%
  • The Karate Kid

50 4.24%
  • All other MA films

40 3.39%
  • MA-based childrens' toys

10 0.85%
Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 414748495051 52535455 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 4:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beneath Contempt
    Which factor has caused the most damage to the practice / credibility of martial arts?
    Aikiguy.

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 12:23pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No Touch nok-out BS!

After seeing a Discovery Channel documentary on Dillman and and why his no-touch nok-out did not work on a scientist, his response was if you don't beleive it won't nok-you out. Guess you must be mugged by someone who believes in his no-touch nok-outs! I tried to write a letter to Black Belt magazine about it and what BS Dillman is pushing of on people and they always change the words so that it does not make Dillman look like a quack. If I say it's BS they change it to say "too Complex to use easily".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 1:00pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think the most damaging thing to martial arts is intolerance. its fun to poke fun at other arts, but to turn your mind off and act like nothing and no one in the world, of any discipline can offer you anything, is retarded. with the exception of chi attacked and the hadouken'ing going on in those Chi arts, those i think should be wiped off the planet. chi is cool, you can do tai chi, and its good for your body, your not dropping people left and right with Chi, thats for sure. but every art can bring something to the table. other then ignorance, i'd say those old kung fu movies they made 10 million of, thorougly distorted kung fu for everyone. im on a mission to find the ultimate truth of kung fu, and those popular kind of movies back in the day turned a country into bullshido overnight.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 1:19pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiki-shugyo
    mysticism is to help spread bullshit over either a) the real stuff, or b) nothing. In the case of a), that is an Asian thing, keeping secrets from all but the most close and trusted; b) is a Western thing, to make up for the fact that they didn't get the goods. Can you see any bullshit in an art that is open, like boxing or wrestling???
    I think that's a very valid point. Peer review. Science uses this process to prove and dispell theories or what's fact and what's fiction. It's one of the problems with martial arts. Many where closed off to only to practictioners and supporters and as such there was no outside scrutiny in the training, techniques, etc. Keeping it open to review, letting new ideas flow in AND out to other martials arts. One martial art may not have the answer but if they pose the question then another martial art my come around with the answer. Can't find that out if you keep your doors and your mind closed.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/16/2006 6:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon

Shoot....does this mean my BB isnt any good? All that fucking training I did with that kit too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2006 3:38am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i

hate

bruce

lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2006 3:46am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kintanon
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4016266

Nothing further.

Kintanon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

haha it says "comes with inflatible heavy bag"

i love it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2006 7:08am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy
    In lieu of reading 51 pages of stuff, I will answer simply: money. Money makes the McDojo. The McDojo waters down the art. The watered down art makes Black Belts of they who would not be Black Belts. They who would not be Black Belts open their own McDojos. Repeat ad nauseum. And ignorance is the lube that makes the machine work.
    Total agreement, I do Wing Chun and wanting to maintain my progress through the system, there are times I feel like a salmon trying to get upstream in the face of so much BS heading in the wrong direction. :deadhorse

The flak I get in forums I can understand as there is so much BS out there and so many of the McDojo money makers that the market is flooded and any talented martial artists who have an interest in NHB competition are rightly attracted to those clubs that already have the set-up in place and the reputation, like BJJ.

Not feeling sorry for myself or the style as I believe in time the good Wing Chun will shine through but until then it is a matter of being patient and having a thick skin for all the grief I get :XXsunsmil

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2006 1:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bahh..I voted charlatans, but seeing now that mysticism is down in the count, I would've voted mysticism, for it is the main enabler for the charlatans and therefore, is what I see as the core problem.
Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 414748495051 52535455 ... LastLast