Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/30/2010 7:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I especially like bringing them to work and using them to trick people into bets for snacks at the snack bar. Betting someone that can't close a #1 when they think it's just a sporting goods store gripper is funny ****.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/30/2010 9:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I especially like bringing them to work and using them to trick people into bets for snacks at the snack bar. Betting someone that can't close a #1 when they think it's just a sporting goods store gripper is funny ****.
    Yeah, I like challenging bigger guys to pinch pennies in the grippers for time. "C'mon, man. Just pinch the penny & don't drop it. You're big, I bet you can do it for longer than me... it hasn't been very long, why are you shaking?" :laughing8
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 12:45am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't move up to the next gripper until you're SURE you're ready!
    The $0.89 'Next Level C.O.C.'

"Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/04/2010 12:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    That being said, like I previously noted, I find 3 grippers enough to take care of whatever your goal is. I can't imagine necessitating that many increments unless you're specifically a grip athlete, but even then, most I know use the CoCs.
    I have started training seriously with handgrippers for a few months now, since I felt I needed more grip strength. You see, I have these delicate "pianofingers" that tend to do well playing with the ladies :smile: , but to my great annoyance all to frequenty failed me in my martial arts training (e.g. holding someone's Gi or wrist) or when greeted with a firm handshake at work. So I decided it was a time for a change in that department. I allready condition my knockles for several years on makiwara and the punchbag, but now I wanted a more firm grip for my hands.

After waisting my time on two different grippers (first a set of vanilla softfoamed ones which broke on the inside all too soon and then afterwards when I bought Rucanor handgrippers those also tore very fast with some dedicated training.

I figured that this couldn't be because of my gripstrength, since the lack of that got me started training with grippers in the first place. So I decided to start to digg deeper into this matter online to find myself some decent durable heavy duty handgrippers.

Soon I found out that the Captains of Crash handgrippers indeed are like the lamborghini's of grippers. But these also come at a hefty pricetag. So the complete set was not and option budget-wise but since I had no clue what level of handstrength I had, I decided to look further first.

Then I read about the Heavygrips handgrippers. Those got good reviews too on sites like Tnation.com and HGB.com. Quality/ durability-wise they seem to come close to the CoC's, but are a lot cheeper.

So eventually I decided to buy myself the full set of all six of them.

Now after a month or two I feel comfortable with the HG150 and my new challenge is the HG200. And like it. For reading I reffer to and advise GripFAQ.com which is maintained by Scott Styles. And further reading: Gripboard.com/

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/04/2010 2:15pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Don't move up to the next gripper until you're SURE you're ready!
    The $0.89 'Next Level C.O.C.'

I've done that before. It works fairly well.

And Shenandoah's page that you linked is full of homemade grip WIN.

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/04/2010 5:07pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just curious but seeing as we have so may grip aficionados has anyone here done any nail bending? I've been out of the practice for a few years now but it was definitly an interesting (and effective) strength training tool not to mention a pretty cool party trick ;)

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 12:25am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    Just curious but seeing as we have so may grip aficionados has anyone here done any nail bending? I've been out of the practice for a few years now but it was definitly an interesting (and effective) strength training tool not to mention a pretty cool party trick ;)
    I've never done any bending stuff, nails & coins etc. You're right, thought, it does seem pretty cool, and just tricky enough so it doesn't look like you're showing off.

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 12:33am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love nail bending. I was very big into John Brookfield's stuff a while back. I also use to have all the MILO journals and I loved all that grip training stuff. I think I may just have to get back into it.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789