I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Grip development for combat sports

Oh yeah, I have an excellent grip and have one of those. I also use a gyroscopic dynaflex ball, they are amazing.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    Oh yeah, I have an excellent grip and have one of those. I also use a gyroscopic dynaflex ball, they are amazing.
    What number are you up to on the grippers?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 5:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shame on you Tripp, for labeling out Karate secrets like so much broth at a homeless shelter.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 9:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    What number are you up to on the grippers?
    No idea. I just use whatever's available. I don't have that specific one. I have an old one that my dad gave me from the 90's. The dynaflex ball I can use for about 30 minutes though before I have to switch hands.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 7:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    No idea. I just use whatever's available. I don't have that specific one. I have an old one that my dad gave me from the 90's. The dynaflex ball I can use for about 30 minutes though before I have to switch hands.
    Yeah, sporting goods store grippers are ****. I reccomend the Captains of Crush grippers because they're insanely more difficult. If you build up to the 2, you'll have a grip very few people on the planet can break. Only 5 people on earth can close the 4.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 9:59am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to derail this into a PT thread, but towel/gi chins and wrist rollers also are good grip tools. Dirt cheap too. You're kind of light so you should be able to do the towel chins easily.

I agree that the CoC grippers are awesome. (And was just inspired to order a #2).

Don't just train grip endurance -- you want a strong crushing grip too as Emevas implied (your hand has several different gripping functions that you can train). Closing a wimpy gripper or the ball 1000x won't do all you want.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 1:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Yeah, sporting goods store grippers are ****. I reccomend the Captains of Crush grippers because they're insanely more difficult. If you build up to the 2, you'll have a grip very few people on the planet can break. Only 5 people on earth can close the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Not to derail this into a PT thread, but towel/gi chins and wrist rollers also are good grip tools. Dirt cheap too. You're kind of light so you should be able to do the towel chins easily.

I agree that the CoC grippers are awesome. (And was just inspired to order a #2).

Don't just train grip endurance -- you want a strong crushing grip too as Emevas implied (your hand has several different gripping functions that you can train). Closing a wimpy gripper or the ball 1000x won't do all you want.
    Thanks!

I'll check out the captains of crush. I have visions of me DESTROYING apples and little toddler's skulls now.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 11:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Storytime: When I was in college and had recently worked up to closing the #2, my ROTC detachment decided to teach us self defense by having a local Shotokan guy teach us how to reverse punch and move back and forth in a straight line. He then decided he was going to show us how to defend against a deadly wrist grab, and wanted a big guy from the audience to grab his wrist. I was selected, and was told to get a "good grip"

I squeeze the everloving christ out of his wrist like it owed me money, at which point he attempted to break my grip by delivering hammerfists to my wrists. He did this for about a solid minute, while the audience remained silent, the only sound cutting through the awkward moment being his fist smacking my wrist. After this time, he says "You can let go if it's hurting, I don't want to break your wrist" and I said "I thought there was going to be some sort of trick"

I released my grip and saw the imprint of my fingers wrapped around his wrists practically burned into his skin.

The moral of this story: These grippers are awesome, and with it you will beat Shotokan.
    "Emevas,

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 11:21pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Captains of Crush grippers are awesome, I can nearly close the 2 (I have the full set), though I have been out of practice for quite awhile. The functional strength they build for everyday life activities is pretty sweet as well.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 11:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The functional strength they build for everyday life activities is pretty sweet as well.
    I was going to make a crack about functional strength, but instead I'll talk about how I was the only one in my office taking apart cubicle furniture without tools.
    "Emevas,
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast