Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 3:42pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Grappling in Korea

I just got to Korea a few days ago. Does anyone know a place to train in the Seocho or Gangnam area? Judo, BJJ, Sambo, anything?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 3:52pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is easy to find in Korea. Find a dojang yourself or ask someone to find one for you or google it. For BJJ, it's pretty limited if you want legit instruction. Contact John. The address is not the school. I think it's his mailing address.

41-303 Hanyang Apartments
    Apgujeong-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
    Tel: 011-82-10-6233-4752, (From Korea, it's 010-6233-4752)
    Email: johnfrankl@yahoo.com

There are enough MMA gym you can join too. Good luck.

Edit: You can also try university Judo clubs or ask in Judoforum. Anyway finding judo club is easy in Korea. BJJ is tougher.

Edit 2: You sure you don't want to try TKD in motherland to find some TKD Chicks? hahaha jk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 4:46pm

Style: Christopher Hitchens-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    John Frankl is pretty well known in korea.
    i think he was one of only 2 or 3 BBs in korea.
    he is an actual professor at a university and have a lot of foreigners at his club.

if you want to look into judo, post your address or PM me your address. i can look up a club closest to you. there are quite a few judo clubs in seoul.

have a look the this place. the head instructor's name is YOON, Yong Bal, a pretty well known judo fighter during his prime. he's got 3 gyms so one of them might be close to you. he used to have foreigners come to his club as well. he has CRAZY judo... many people has he should have been a world champion.
    http://yoonjudo.com/main/down2.html

and the list of sambo gyms in seoul
    http://www.koreasambo.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=m24&sca=%BC%AD%BF%EF
    Last edited by kenikim; 3/26/2010 5:03pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 7:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EDIT: why is this in the throwdown forum???
    are you just visiting korea or made a long-term move there???

frankln teaching in korean
    YouTube- korea bjj (johnfrankl bjj) korea: triangle

he has a korean site his student maintains.
    http://cafe.daum.net/jfbjj

he claims to be the 'founder' of bjj in korea in the youtube account. i'm personally not too comfortable with the word choice. 'introduced' or 'pioneered' would have been better.

as far as i can tell, he started teaching in 2003-ish.
    i was in korea in 1998 and i remember seeing ads in the english newspaper about bjj. the ad read something like, 'learn bjj, first time in asia.' but didn't have a name though. it doesn't look like the same person, because i don't think frankl was in korea at the time. so maybe frankl didn't know that someone else taught bjj in korea before him, or that the first guy wasn't legit.

if you want to try something little more 'korean', have a looks at these.

Yong Moo Do.
    developed by Yongin university (aka, korean judo university) it is a hybrid of judo, tkd and hkd. there are couple dozen clubs in seoul. little bit of a propaganda vid for you below.
    YouTube- Intro: World Yongmoodo Federation

Gongkwon Yusul
    kinda like yong moo do, but developed by this dude. i read somewhere that he's been giving away ranks though, in order to spread the style. did a quick search and it's been discuss here before.
    YouTube- (24)Gongkwon instructor training (Korean jiu jitsu hapkido)

if you want to try something TRULY korean,,,

Taekkyun.
    it looks like a cross between ssireum korean wrestling and taekwondo with a dash of capoeira. yes,,, i did say capoeira........ it is because the fighters are supposed to sway their hips and do this funky foot steps between engaging. looks a bit weird, but you are supposed to do that apparently. but i've seen fight clips where the fighter totally forget to do that as the fights get more intense.
    there is no punching allowed. at all. ever.... and no ground work. one of the ways to win is if you kick your opponent in the head with force, it will warrant a win. and if you end up clinching, you can throw your opponent for a win, so in a way, it is somewhat similar to san shou.
    taekkyun was very popular in old korea, and there is a record of the government banning taekkyun at one point, because people were gambling on it too much...
    it is most certainly the influence in TKD kicking. matter of fact, i've read TKD propaganda long time ago claiming direct lineage from taekkyun to TKD.
    it almost died in modern korea, especially due to japanese colonialism, but it is slowing enjoying a revival as the recognition of being a truly authentic korean martial art grows.

YouTube- Taekkyun #1

taekkyun gyms in seoul.
    http://www.taekkyonkorea.com/gym/gym...n=%BC%AD%BF%EF
    Last edited by kenikim; 3/26/2010 7:54pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2010 3:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am in Seocho 1-dong. I was gonna check out Frankyls this week, but if I could find something closer that would be good. You don't know any Judo schools in my dong do you?

I may take a gander at the more Korean places. Thanks for the info.

And I am here long term, do the ESL thing for at least a year. I put a topic in here because its the throwdown/training partners forum. I figured it was the best place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2010 9:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsobrien View Post
    I am in Seocho 1-dong. I was gonna check out Frankyls this week, but if I could find something closer that would be good. You don't know any Judo schools in my dong do you?

I may take a gander at the more Korean places. Thanks for the info.

And I am here long term, do the ESL thing for at least a year. I put a topic in here because its the throwdown/training partners forum. I figured it was the best place.
    it the first korean judo place i mentioned, that's the closest
    윤용발체육관 (Yoon Yong Bal Che Yook Kwan)
    서울특별시 서초구 서초동 1717-4 (Seoul Seochogu Seochodong 1717-4)
    02-593-8882

i don't think mr. yoon speaks english, so i guess it is best to just drop by.
    hmm, weird, his website isn't working.
    mr. yoon is a well educated man, i believe he has a doctorate. very rare for a korean judoka, he studied in japan for a few years and speaks fluent japanese. he is pretty high ranking now. i think 7th or 8th dan. can't verify quickly because his site isn't working. if you end up going there and mr. yoon is teaching, tell him that john ross' old student sent you. he knows my mentor john well.

edit: it was a bit funny watching them talk sometimes. john spoke japanese and that's how they communicated.

Posted On:
    3/27/2010 11:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do ssireum, it's genuine Korean and grappling

YouTube- Ssireum: Korean Wrestling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2010 6:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Do ssireum, it's genuine Korean and grappling

YouTube- Ssireum: Korean Wrestling
    that would be pretty hard to do, especially in seoul.
    i don't think there are any recreational clubs for ssireum. in the southern region, near Busan, there are some, but problem with ssireum is that it was never promoted as an activity for the general public in its modern form. only the kids in school teams really trained, and they only did that in hopes of breaking into the pro scene.

just did some net-fu, and there might be ONE recreational club in seoul, in Yang Chun Gu. you can call them at this number 02-2648-7330, if you are really interested. but going the route of Yudo, or BJJ will probably provide you with more well rounded grappling. but i gotta say, taekkyun looks interesting. but i hate their demo clips with weapons and joint locks. i am not certain if that was actually part of taekkyun, or they just did that for demonstration purposes only.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2010 12:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kenikim, you're not in korea are ya? feel like rollin?

see, now its a throwdown thread

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2010 4:04am

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your in Seocho OP?....cool welcome to land of morning calm. im at dongducheon.

im also looking for sambo, but in the meantime, started taking up taek'kyeon. taek'kyon guys dont seem to be too fond of tkd guys, which is amusing.

"tkd sucks, look at how ugerly theyre keeks awre.......No powa!..just teep tap sheet, iiiissshhhh.....shibal!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast