Yours truly

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 12:20pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My kickboxing club needs a ring

That guy in white is the closest thing I have to a coach aside from my boxing coach even though he is more like my training partner in this small town of G-ville.

Please critique, except on my choice of music and my hodge-podge color combination. (yellow blue red and black. whats to hate??)

I'm going easy on everyone except guy in white, though guy in grey shirt lands a good hook on me while I thought I was being all smart. Contact level is medium.

Videos:
    YouTube- UF Kickboxing needs a ring (1/3)
    YouTube- UF Kickboxing needs a ring (2/3)
    YouTube- UF Kickboxing needs a ring (3/3)

Improvements since my last video:
    my lefts are a bit more solid
    setup for kicks better
    Leg kicks back in my game

Things I see:
    Backing up too much (I do use more lateral movement when in a ring)
    Ducking too much when shelling up
    Hands drop too much, especially lead hand

And in general, just thought you guys would like to see how my college club is doing. We'd do better, but that guy in white shirt and myself are all we have for instructors. (BTW if you want to be a guest instructor for a day and help a bunch of kids out please let me know)

PS: flying sidekick was choreographed. Thinking about using it in an exhibition.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 4:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I need to redo the title to the thread. "My Kickboxing club needs a ring - please critizue"

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 4:10pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One ring to guide them?

Yours truly

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 4:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    One ring to guide them?
    YES!
    or multiple in this case.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/27/2010 2:14am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/27/2010 4:48am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    havent watched all of it but first thing ill say is that you should be punishing grey shirt with leg kicks after he whiffs those moves. throwing for the sake of throwing isnt a great plan.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/29/2010 3:48pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even going "easy" you can exploit peoples weaknesses and do the right thing for you. You don't have to KO people but respecting power that isn't there is stupid. You build bad habits and falsely encourage other people's bad habits.

For example in video 1/3 you are giving a ton of space and respect to the guy in long white pants. If someone bounces in front of me like that they are going to be on their ass. Jam those kicks and punch him in the face when his hands are down. Don't encourage his TKD chicanery.

You should always be trying to do the right thing for you and your style. Just hold back on pulling the trigger. For example when trying to "take it easy" I like to punch right on the headgear at the forehead. You can protect your partner and still practice accuracy. If you are fighting someone a little better choose to hit them in the nose or jaw instead.
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 3/29/2010 3:53pm at .

Posted On:
    3/31/2010 6:42pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are still using distance as defense too often and in the incorrect way, lateral movement is great but running straight back every time someone engages you is a very bad habit to get into.

Stand your ground, check or parry and counter shot. You are trying so hard to avoid every shot with distance that you are compromising your balance and taking any followup shots they take. Especially with beginners you should be able to stand still with a good guard and take anything they want to throw without letting anything through.

Your leg kick checking needs some serious work, this probably ties in with the distance problem since your first thought is to move the leg out of range rather than check. The times you do actually manage to check it looks like you aren't turning the leg fully to meet the kick, this results in them hitting your leg anyway and in several cases I've seen - leg breakage.

You are circling the wrong way often, when you are in striking range try to mainly circle outside his lead leg. I like to circle inside when I'm outside his range or when the ring needs it but if you do this inside his range you are walking right towards his power shots (rear roundhouse, straight right). A trick i like to use is to throw a wide hook with the sole intention of getting the other guy to move straight into my rear bodykick.

I like that you are not switching between orthodox/southpaw so randomly anymore but i did notice that the times you do you get caught. I particularly don't like that big straight left where you step into orthodox, mainly because someone is going to chop that leg out on you big time. If you are not in range to throw the straight, don't throw it.

These two drills really helped me fix similar distance problems:

Line sparring:
    Two of you pick the same line of the ground with feet less than an inch away from eachother and assume a normal stance with hands close to face. Boxing only start light but build up, both throw combinations. Work on defending every shot without leaning back or taking a step. Small slips are ok but mainly blocks/parrys. Make sure beginners are not closing their eyes when they get hit or putting their chin in the air to lean back away from a shot.

Leg sparring:
    Only roundhouse kicks allowed, any target area, minimum movement (maybe none since your guys have a problem here). Work on firing off a kick every single time you get hit or check. Let people catch kicks but don't work on dumps since its easy as hell to catch kicks in leg sparring only. What we do is catch and as soon as its secured drop and fire back own kick. If people are dropping their hands when they kick, take their head off with a headkick.

We do at least 2 rounds each of these per training session and its caused some pretty serious improvements over just the last 3 months, i highly recommend them.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Yours truly

Posted On:
    3/31/2010 9:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh ****, the two drills sound like the exact stuff we need.
    Today we worked on learning the opponent's range, and everyone was busy running the hell away from the opponent. I have tomorrow also so I'll be working these drills.

Thanks everyone for the tips. Like WS said, I worked with the little dude again and did what WS said; realized this is much better for him, by the end of the session he wasn't so scared of the hits anymore.

Posted On:
    3/31/2010 9:44pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alive drilling is really under-rated imo, those two drills have directly impacted on my sparring abilities, particularly counter hitting. Just make sure everyone is in close with the first drill and not leaning back to avoid shots, everyone does this wrong at first. Let me know how it goes.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast