Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/29/2010 1:27pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This problem is only compounded by the fact that i need a really low guard for kyokushin or i'll be bodypunched to death. After this tourny i'll go back to listening to my coach and give the forehead high guard a 6 month trial.
    How do you find training both influences each of the styles?

Posted On:
    3/29/2010 6:37pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They compliment each other really nicely, Muay Thai provides the basics and the more realistic sparring rules while Kyokushin provides a bigger range of kicks plus superior body and hand conditioning. I'm picking up the kicks very quickly so i should be able to bring them over to my Thai boxing soon.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/29/2010 8:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    I'm picking up the kicks very quickly so i should be able to bring them over to my Thai boxing soon.
    i can't wait to see you cut someone in half with an axe kick.

Posted On:
    3/29/2010 8:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    i can't wait to see you cut someone in half with an axe kick.
    Came back pretty much just to post this.

Also, are you noticing any significant difference in the way they both do roundhouses? My MT coach generally likes us to take the 45 degree step out except in a few situations, where both kyokushin dojos I trained at didn't make any mention of the step at all.

Posted On:
    3/29/2010 8:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should be learning how to kick without stepping at your MT gym as well, if you can't you are really handicapping your striking. The roundhouse kicks are very similar, its just the chamber which is different and some of the karate guys don't even use it in sparring. Brazillian kicks, spinning back kicks, reverse roundhouses, axe kicks and jumping kicks on the other hand are mostly new to me.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    3/29/2010 9:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should be learning how to kick without stepping at your MT gym as well, if you can't you are really handicapping your striking. The roundhouse kicks are very similar, its just the chamber which is different and some of the karate guys don't even use it in sparring. Brazillian kicks, spinning back kicks, reverse roundhouses, axe kicks and jumping kicks on the other hand are mostly new to me.
    We're learning both ways, it's just a personal preference of his that we be able to get that extra power from the step wherever possible. Have they busted out that weird reverse-flip-kick-thing yet?

Posted On:
    3/29/2010 9:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be more specific about the flip flop kick?

I don't step for power, i step to change the angle of the kick and have it hit the front of the body instead of the side or i step to counter my opponents kick thereby moving me out of the way of his. If you are kicking with correct technique stepping doesn't add any power imo.
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    3/29/2010 9:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be more specific about the flip flop kick?

I don't step for power, i step to change the angle of the kick and have it hit the front of the body instead of the side or i step to counter my opponents kick thereby moving me out of the way of his. If you are kicking with correct technique stepping doesn't add any power imo.
    Flip flop kick- YouTube- Kyokushin karate fighting (wheelkick)

Watching someone pull that off in a fight is the damndest thing I've ever seen.

I have absolutely zero doubt that my technique isn't really "correct" yet, so that probably helps. Also might be a mental thing- I probably turn it over more and drive through harder if I feel like it's supposed to be stronger.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 1:22am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That kick is retarded, as are all those stupid ass kicks where you fall on the ground after throwing them.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 2:58am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think a lot of people who love that move would also say "NEVER EVER GO TO THE GROUND IN A STREET FIGHT"
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345