Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 10:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OOOOAY!

Good **** Sang, lookin like a fuckin gangsta. Props to you brotha.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 11:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OiScout View Post
    Man elbows are some baller ****.

I'm in no place to critique you or anyone, but I think you could take advantage of the "break" more. By that, I mean when both of you actively break/disengage from clinch or throwing combos. Like I would see both of you just relax for a little and reset while you're both in range. But like I said, I might be missing some important variables such as conserving energy or straight up getting punished for trying to continue.

Eh, this isn't really good advice. When the ref breaks you, you have to be ready to go right back at it so you can be first to control the engagements. You want to take advantage of that space you're given by setting up your next advancement. That space just gives you room to take control and have room to attack.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 11:20pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that's what he was saying, his wording was just bad. i think what threw me here was having a ref break up the clinch, in sparring it'll usually break up naturally with one person pushing the other person off. As soon as that happens i like to try and kick their head off or step up knee.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 11:50pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    I think that's what he was saying, his wording was just bad. i think what threw me here was having a ref break up the clinch, in sparring it'll usually break up naturally with one person pushing the other person off. As soon as that happens i like to try and kick their head off or step up knee.
    I was actually thinking he meant dirty-MT styles, not after a ref break...

AH, damn! That sucks about your shin! I'd always wondered after those checks if that came out, in training I'll still be covered in bruises and was wondering when I get the "Immortal Shins Of Non-bruising (EVAH)".
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 11:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do they allow throws/trips in your deal?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 12:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    edit: d'oh, I misread and thought you were referring to the ref breaking you up. Even still, you want to make sure to be always controlling the offensive. That being said, the idea of recomposing after an exchange has merit, as you don't want to just charge back in as soon as you break. Break, get your stance back, but get right back on putting them on the defensive.

In a 5x 3 minute fight, it's a bit different since the first two rounds are typically going to be more paced for feeling each other out, but the idea is the same.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 12:16am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    Do they allow throws/trips in your deal?
    At the high professional level judges/refs get VERY anal about what throws or trips are legal (to the point of no boot-to-boot sweeps). In the amateur contests here, anything pretty much goes. I see multiple hip throws a night (which should be illegal) and i've seen full blown suplexes.

In terms of points most judges will award you a lot more points for a good sweep than a trip like i used in that fight, if i didn't suck so badly at Judo I'd be crosstraining in it now. Even if the throw you use is illegal and the ref actually picks you up on it you get two warnings, and you've taken a lot of morale out of the other guy by slamming him to the canvas.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 12:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the high professional level judges/refs get VERY anal about what throws or trips are legal (to the point of no boot-to-boot sweeps). In the amateur contests here, anything pretty much goes. I see multiple hip throws a night (which should be illegal) and i've seen full blown suplexes.

In terms of points most judges will award you a lot more points for a good sweep than a trip like i used in that fight, if i didn't suck so badly at Judo I'd be crosstraining in it now. Even if the throw you use is illegal and the ref actually picks you up on it you get two warnings, and you've taken a lot of morale out of the other guy by slamming him to the canvas.
    Since we're both south paw, I'd suggest learning de ashi barai and getting it down good.

I use that a lot in MMA practice to great success. Having your left side as your power side makes this throw really easy.

YouTube- De-ashi-barai

The other one I generally use is tani otoshi

YouTube- tani otoshi

You'd be surprised at how poor a right hander's base is on their left leg. My cousin who fights in Europe uses these two to great success despite not formally ranked in Judo.

If you watch his video here, he uses variants of tani otoshi and de ashi barai, when catching people's kicks. I've seen him use it in clinching as well in full Muay thai fights. It's great to catch someone when throwing a knee as it totally takes all the power out of their knee strike.

YouTube- Cousin Vang Sanda

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 12:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kidspat - I always welcome your critique :). I've been working on ring generalship since my first fight and have had some good progression in sparring with this but it hasn't transferred over to my fights yet. I was WAY too worried about his pressure to take a deep breathe and think strategically. Do you see anything terribly wrong with the width of my stance? Maybe i should post up a picture tomorrow for you to evaluate, I had a similar problem with losing my footing in my 4th fight.
    Post a picture, I love critiquing stuff :P

From the video, your stance looks fine to me. The problem I see is you have a tendency to bring your feet together a lot. When you advance, when you set your foot down after kicking, and when you clinch your feet come together and each time this happens and he attacks you get knocked back. That all goes back to staying relaxed and composed and not getting over eager. I had this problem too up until my last fight.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 12:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, I'm not critiquing, I'm just sharing ideas.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast