Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 11:59am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sang's fifth MT fight.

The last time I made one of these threads it was for my first win, so itís only fitting that I make the second one about my first loss. This fight was at 71kg (156lbs) against a guy with a record of somewhere around seven wins, no losses. Full muay thai rules including knees and elbows to the head but with the standard amateur 3*2 minute time restriction. Iím the one with the green shorts, I lost the fight 30-29, all three judges.

Itís hard to see on the tape but I landed an elbow to the top of his head at the start of the third round which cut him up rather badly. Strangely it didnít bleed much but he needed 5 stitches after the show. I know exactly what I need to work on before my next fight. Enjoy seeing me elbowed in the teeth:

YouTube- CM Vs IM Fight 5
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 6:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know nothing of Muay Thai.

That first round appeared rough. The second seemed more even; you had some good exchanges. The third I can't tell at all what to think; he appeared to be losing steam--but what a barrage at the beginning!

It sounds like you're doing as Fedor says: "I don't talk about my weaknesses, I work on them."
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Weak

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 7:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice work.
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 7:21pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good fight, Sang! Looks like it was a battle! Your hands a looking better (but kinda looked like you forgot about them for a little while, unloading some nice kicks), and you seemed to be a bit more comfortable later in the fight, the dude seemed to be putting pressure on quite hard.

Was this the first one you've done with full MT rules? Other guy looked more comfortable throwing those elbows from clinch.

Once again, good fight!
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 7:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. Yeah he was definitely more comfortable throwing elbows, if some of those big ones had landed in the first round I'd be looking like Frankenstein today. I agreed to them because i assumed I'd be fighting a short-ass and have a good reach advantage but we see how well that works out. That was the first time I've done full muay thai rules but I've had knees to the head allowed for all of my fights, i intend to fight 5*3 min from now on since my cardio and conditioning is usually my competitive advantage.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 8:42pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy **** -- the elbows came out early.

Good fight, man. Nice clinch.

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 9:18pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll watch the fight tonight, youtube is blocked at work. Good onya though, bro, sometimes a loss is actually a win. .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 9:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exciting fight, lots of action :) Of course, that also meant it turned into a mess, but that's how it goes some times when you have a super aggressive opponent. For the most part though you seemed to keep your composure well, typically being ready to nail him with a kick at the end of an exchange. Lots of good counter shots in the mix.

One thing that I basically always have to say about people that post their fights/sparring: ring generalship. For the most part you move around the ring only with your opponent in mind. You have to take control of the ring, therefor controlling the flow of the exchanges. You back off and give your opponent room to come forward, which is why he dictated the majority of the action. You have to work on getting your opponent to corner himself, and keep them on the defensive. Don't just move straight at him, move at an angle which forces them in the direction of the ropes/corner. If you move defensively, cut around and escape to center ring. This skill is so vital to winning fights and something that gets neglected by most every amateur kickboxer/mma fighter.

Another thing is that you seemed overly excited to get in and get your shots in, so you'd end up compromising your stance, stepping your feet together, then get hit with something and get knocked across the ring or knocked on the ground. I know it's always easier said then done when it comes to keeping your head together in a fight, but getting over eager makes you lose your composure and everything goes to hell.

Anyhow, despite my critiques (sorry, I'm compelled to give my 2 cents whether people want them or not) I think that was a pretty nice fight. I look forward to seeing the next one :)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 9:25pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man elbows are some baller ****.

I'm in no place to critique you or anyone, but I think you could take advantage of the "break" more. By that, I mean when both of you actively break/disengage from clinch or throwing combos. Like I would see both of you just relax for a little and reset while you're both in range. But like I said, I might be missing some important variables such as conserving energy or straight up getting punished for trying to continue.

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 9:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kidspat - I always welcome your critique :). I've been working on ring generalship since my first fight and have had some good progression in sparring with this but it hasn't transferred over to my fights yet. I was WAY too worried about his pressure to take a deep breathe and think strategically. Do you see anything terribly wrong with the width of my stance? Maybe i should post up a picture tomorrow for you to evaluate, I had a similar problem with losing my footing in my 4th fight.

Oiscout - nicely spotted, I'm trained to throw a headkick at the break when their hands are still low but didn't use it.

After watching this video myself and comparing it with my first fight I'm rather happy with the progression of clinch and leg kicking, some other areas need obvious improvement but its good to know my skill gains haven't all been in my head. My right shin is still completely stuffed a month later from all that kicking.
    Kenny Weldon
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast