Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 9:45pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I appreciate his post as a summation. I don't appreciate the patronisation.

If the guy wanted to play by the rules we should have been stood up three or four times by the time the clock ran out. But he didn't. Hence the OP.

Either way, I'll take the advice and avoid the guy from now on.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 9:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He curled up in my guard for the whole time, didn't attempt to pass guard, didn't attempt to choke, hardly fucking moved! So I tried submissions and sweeps to get him to make a move and possibly capitalise on a mistake but he just fucking laid on top of me.
    All **** aside, I get really annoyed when people stall in training.

We're there to learn, so work a technique so we can both continue to.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 9:53pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I appreciate his post as a summation. I don't appreciate the patronisation.
    Really? You let these Internets bother you WAAAAAAAAY to much. This is about the 6-7 thread where you flipped out about some trivial post.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 10:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields
    Am I wrong?
    What do you think? Is he acting to help you, protect his ego or something else?

Should I just play his game and let him lay on top of me?
    I'd note how I got into the bad spot and research and practice the techniques that would prevent it in the future.

Or should I become a prick and slam him to the tatame and rip his arm off while going at 1000% intensity next time we roll, then stand over him going "you really should play defense while I'm smashing you all over the mat"?
    Would you really ask if you could?

How would you deal with this?
    I'd avoid training with him. If you don't feel like it's a productive experience, you might not stick with it. I don't know if there's any sense in risking your motivation and future in the art to prove something to someone who sounds petty.

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 10:06pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand how it goes, IiF, I don't flip out, I just have a good job where I can spend time on the net and write verbose responses to vaguely worded insults that have hidden references/ meanings, what can I say?

I know the lay of the land now to a degree on Bullshido and although I'm not flame retardant, I am not a retard. Fortunately the majority agreed with my OP and I agree with their advice. This little derail into my post history has been fun.

EDIT: I imagine one of my problems is I try and gussy up the story a bit, with all that "slam him to the mat" stuff, I might do away with that in the future, it seems to give people the wrong impression.
    Last edited by battlefields; 3/24/2010 10:10pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 10:22pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I understand how it goes, IiF, I don't flip out,
    Yes, you do. I can point out this same reaction in 6-7 threads.

I just have a good job where I can spend time on the net and write verbose responses to vaguely worded insults that have hidden references/ meanings, what can I say?
    The fact you think his post has a hidden meaning means you flipped out.

Upa post is fairly blatant in its simplicity. Your current level of finding weird faults and adding missing context is strange.

I consider that flipping out.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 10:23pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, you're probalby a spazz. Your comments make it clear that this is not about his inactivity but rather his ability to sit on top of you with impunity.

Pinning happens to be part of the rules of judo.

If he's "sitting in your guard" try rolling him or open your guard and sit back up.

If he's "waving" an arm in your face, do something about it. take that arm and use it.

Why are you people talking about cracking the turtle? He had the guy IN GUARD.

You don't know if he competes? Is this a pattern he has or is this ONE ROLL? If it's one bad roll, you should see if it's a pattern before you run to the internet or "go 1000 percent" on the guy.

You describe him as of "slightly higher rank" and started a thread called "Dealing with people of slightly hire rank" as though this is some sort of routine issue...

It could be that what your trying is so unpolished he doesn't feel the need to move (he's better than you)

It could be that he's just good enough to stay there and not good enough to do much (He's just slightly better than you)

or it could be that he's not better than you at all and can't execute from in your guard (his comment would seem to indicate this)

The simple solution is to ask him and/or your coach

Say "were the things I was trying working or not? It felt like I could move you[him] out of guard"
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 3/24/2010 10:30pm at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 10:29pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I should have said and put much better.

Talk to the guy when you are not as angry. You might lose a good training partner because of your ego.

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 11:18pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    OP, you're probalby a spazz. Your comments make it clear that this is not about his inactivity but rather his ability to sit on top of you with impunity.

No, it is about his inactivity. Pass my guard, do something, guard is defensive by nature and definition, telling me to play defensive is moot if you aren't doing anything offensive.

Pinning happens to be part of the rules of judo.

I was under the impression that a pin in Judo isn't a pin if you are in either half or full guard. So under the rules, which this guy seems to prefer when I am controlling him, we should stop and restart if it is over 20 seconds. Is my understanding of Judo rules correct in this instance?

If he's "sitting in your guard" try rolling him or open your guard and sit back up.

I probably wasn't clear with this, he basically crouched over my body with his elbows in my torso. But I admit, I didn't try sitting up, I did more shrimping to get to butterfly guard for sweeps. Thanks for the reminder about sitting up, I'll employ it next time the shrimping doesn't work.

If he's "waving" an arm in your face, do something about it. take that arm and use it.

This was taken out of context. I will never let a flailing arm go unbarred voluntarily.

Why are you people talking about cracking the turtle? He had the guy IN GUARD.

You don't know if he competes? Is this a pattern he has or is this ONE ROLL? If it's one bad roll, you should see if it's a pattern before you run to the internet or "go 1000 percent" on the guy.

Its been a few rolls. The 1000% was an exaggeration, an attempt to elicit an emotional response from the reading audience, I wouldn't do something so overly dramatic in real life, just thought in the comedy forum some would want to throw out a few jokes.

You describe him as of "slightly higher rank" and started a thread called "Dealing with people of slightly hire rank" as though this is some sort of routine issue...

Headings are not my strong point.

It could be that what your trying is so unpolished he doesn't feel the need to move (he's better than you)

It could be that he's just good enough to stay there and not good enough to do much (He's just slightly better than you)

or it could be that he's not better than you at all and can't execute from in your guard (his comment would seem to indicate this)

Cool, cheers.

The simple solution is to ask him and/or your coach

Say "were the things I was trying working or not? It felt like I could move you[him] out of guard"

Alright, now I have two options.

1) Avoid him- my feeling of unproductivity while rolling with him may slow my progress.

2) Talk to him (when I am not angry *nods to IiF*)- find out what his go is, he might be a good sparring partner for the future and our styles just aren't "meshing" at the moment.

The class isn't that big, so now I am leaning towards talking to him next time we roll.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 11:24pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've learned in life that most disconnects, in any mutual endeavor, are very seldom personal. Most people are too wrapped up in what they are doing to piss you off on purpose, so when someone pisses you off, it's decent to assume they are doing it accidentally.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast