Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 6:54pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do deal with slightly higher rank?

There is this one ranked guy at Judo who the first time we rolled newaza (important, this whole thing is just newaza), due to my limited jiu jitsu, I took his back and gripped for a collar choke. The guy defended by grabbing his own collar, didn't attempt to escape but then told me in an annoyed tone to give up when I tried for better grips because I had lost and the ref would have stood us up.

This is how I found out about this particular rule in Judo and at first I thought, good, I learnt a Judo rule, but then I thought, that sucks, this isn't competition, this is newaza training and this guy just didn't want to be choked the **** out by a white belt. I mean, yeah, we are learning for a ruleset but the way I see it, if you are in a bad position, try to get out of it using something you have learnt, don't cry that the ref would've stopped it when there is no ref. This is a learning time, you have that extra time so you can figure out how to get out of holds, how to put on subs, how to work pins, basically to get the "vibe" of your opponents actions and reactions. I could be wrong, but thats why I roll, to gain the feeling of an opponents intentions, even if it means it is heading me straight to a tap out.

Last night I thought I'd let him into my guard (bullshit, I tried a throw that failed), so I thought I'd try some sweeps. He curled up in my guard for the whole time, didn't attempt to pass guard, didn't attempt to choke, hardly fucking moved! So I tried submissions and sweeps to get him to make a move and possibly capitalise on a mistake but he just fucking laid on top of me.

Anyway, I'm a nice guy and when I'm being taught, I shut up and listen. After a few minutes time was called and this guy then said to me, "you have to play defensive in that position, you can't really do submissions from guard". At first I was like, "yeah dude, cheers, I'm not flexible enough to pull off those submissions, you're right, thanks for the information" later I was like, "****, I should have told him to play some offense so I had something to defend against!"

Am I wrong?

Should I just play his game and let him lay on top of me?

Or should I become a prick and slam him to the tatame and rip his arm off while going at 1000% intensity next time we roll, then stand over him going "you really should play defense while I'm smashing you all over the mat"?

How would you deal with this?

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 7:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd recommend you play on the ground with people who want to do the same. This guy obviously doesn't want to learn much more newaza than how do turtle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 7:04pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I agree. It sounds like this guy doesn't care about getting better on the ground. Find a new partner and let him waste his time on somebody else.

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 7:09pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Train cracking the turtle better. I suck at it myself, but it's always a good opportunity.

Also, He's a dick. Kata Guruma him when you're doing tachi waza.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 7:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does he compete regularly? Does he have a competition coming up? Do you ask questions or just flail, like a beginner, for submissions?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 9:08pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get used to attacking him from his stupid balling up. Once you can do that, well, everything should be in the proverbial bag!

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 9:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my third judo lesson ever, i'm still trying to grasp this whole "o soto gari" thing, and i'm paired up with a yellow belt to practice fitting.

this yellow belt decides to start defending my uchikomi. like a dick, he says something along the lines of never just letting anybody throw you, or some mishegas like that.
    this went on for the whole uchikomi session, then when we were actually throwing eachother, he started sweeping me when i leaned back during o soto. the sempis asked him to step aside and let me partner with them.

later that night we did newaza randori. i forgot that an achilies lock is illegal in judo. i haven't seen him since.

anyway, i don't think i handled the situation so well. i should have just sat out instead of playing with him and hoped he took the hint.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 9:30pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    Does he compete regularly? Does he have a competition coming up? Do you ask questions or just flail, like a beginner, for submissions?

Nice. Patronising. Feel better now? I have no idea if he competes, nor do I care. You want to go to class and lay in someones guard because you don't want to mussy up your hair for competition on the horizon. It is your responsibility to tell me you are competing soon and to take it easy, I might even be able to give you a noob to practice some of your technique on. But I am there to train, not figure out who has a dance recital tomorrow.

But yeah, good advice. While I'm at it, **** defending against subs and moving from half guard to mount, or that arm he's waving in my face, **** it, leave it there, that armbar that seems like he's presenting it on a platter might tear a glute.

I move to create space to try techniques that have been shown. If he did something, anything, I would have been fine with the whole deal, but he didn't and then told me that I should pretty much just let him lay in my guard. I even let him for a while, but it started getting wierd, I'm there to learn and try out what I am learning. Not for someone to try out their missionary position before they go for the real thing.

So you are suggesting I should have just maintained guard while he lay on top of me? Cool. Someone had to be different, thanks upalumpa.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 9:32pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some people are just dicks who get a little power trip out of lording it over the noobs. It's simple insecurity. There's no reason to cause a fuss, because then you're one too. Laugh it off, practice with different partners, and if you have a question, ask one of the black belts.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 9:33pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny, when you aren't as angry go re-read your OP. Upa summed up your entire tone in that small post.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast