222364 Bullies, 4357 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    3/23/2010 8:08pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    or we could just use this list...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Imada

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2010 11:47pm

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Interesting, but terrible single stick technique. Any strikes with power would crash right through his slappy limp wristed blocks. I suppose the somehwat choppy camera work tries to hide this fact. Of courseI know it's tv but i've got to bitch about something. Stuff like this is what people picture when I say I do FMA.
    The twirling with open hands also annoys me, but being TV they certainly have much less time to work with the actors than in the movies and the ones unfamiliar with the actual thing wouldn't know better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu View Post
    or we could just use this list...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Imada
    But did he use FMA in ALL of those? I don't remember it from Highlander 2 or The Green Mile.

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 12:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whosthemaster View Post
    But did he use FMA in ALL of those? I don't remember it from Highlander 2 or The Green Mile.
    But he used FMA concepts....:-)

how about "Kindergarten Cop"? I think you will have to just use that list with your own best judgement, but Imada is an FMA guy, and FMA is just about EVERY MA there is, Asian and European, so if there was sword work in Highlander II then it was FMA, IMO.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    DTT vs Sirc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 1:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but Imada is an FMA guy, and FMA is just about EVERY MA there is, Asian and European
    I'm not following you...

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 5:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not following you...
    Just about every culture in Asia had people go to the islands, From Chinese to Islam, and then the European Conquistadors came. The FMA is vast heritage of weapons fighting. A competent FMA practitioner should be able to create just about any type of sword/knife work from any World culture for a film. "Gladiator" with Russel Crow is a good example.

Jeff Imada is an FMA guy, and he has done many movie stunts involving fighting, though most do not look like Filipino stick work.

I think maybe the OP really wants only the FMA "looking" stuff though, whatever that is.....

DTT vs Sirc

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 5:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my favorites, Jeff Speakman in Perfect Weapon:
    YouTube- The Perfect Weapon - Antique store fight
    towards the end he does some work with escrima sticks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2010 2:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just about every culture in Asia had people go to the islands, From Chinese to Islam, and then the European Conquistadors came. The FMA is vast heritage of weapons fighting. A competent FMA practitioner should be able to create just about any type of sword/knife work from any World culture for a film. "Gladiator" with Russel Crow is a good example.

Jeff Imada is an FMA guy, and he has done many movie stunts involving fighting, though most do not look like Filipino stick work.

I think maybe the OP really wants only the FMA "looking" stuff though, whatever that is.....
    Ok, now I understand what you meant, and I agree. But in Conan: The Barbarian or the original Star Wars we can clearly see the Japanese Kendo/Kenjutsu influence. Conan even has a kata performed with a katana-like sword early on the movie (before the Atlantean sword is found).

Just as easily we can recognize the Filipino "distinctiveness" in The Hunted or in the Exposure clip posted, or the wushu in Ray Park's Darth Maul - I don't need to know Park's background to notice it.

Also, Sherlock Holmes and Taken are movies that scream FMA to me. Highlander 2, not at all.

But no, the OP (me) doesn't wants only the FMA "looking" stuff, but movies that have an emphasys on FMA or that have been thought and planned with FMA on mind. Maybe we should focus on the movies Imada played a bigger role - being listed as justs "stunts" could mean he was one of the ninjas being shot by someone, not the creative force behing the fighting in the movie like he is in the Bourne series.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2010 3:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    One of my favorites, Jeff Speakman in Perfect Weapon:
    YouTube- The Perfect Weapon - Antique store fight
    towards the end he does some work with escrima sticks
    It does looks like Escrima but it's actually Ed Parker's Kenpo. The actor himself is a practitioner. Or did Kenpo itself borrowed from FMA?
    Last edited by Whosthemaster; 3/27/2010 3:32pm at .

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    3/27/2010 3:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It does looks like Escrima but it's actually Ed Parker's Kenpo. The actor himself is a practitioner.
    Yes, I know, but it was the only short clip I could find where he works the sticks, all the rest are long parts of the movie, broken up on YouTube

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 9:43am

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about Redbelt? Yeah, it's a BJJ movie, but the principal MA consultant on the film was Dan Inosanto. Also- been a while since I saw it, but some of the bar fight scenes were very FMA influenced IIRC.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast