...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 11:12pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Someone's gun blew up in the stall next to me today

Today I had someone's gun blow up in the stall next to me. It actually occurred while we were both doing a qualification course for a NV concealed firearms permit.

We were the only 2 people shooting the qualification and the only people present in the small room ("VIP range") were myself, the other shooter, and the instructor who was timing us and scoring us.

The gun that blew up was a relatively new Glock of some kind, which the shooter had bought 6 months ago. It didn't sound particularly loud when it blew up, and I didn't see it happen as it was the stall next to me, and of course my eyes were on my front sight as I was in the middle of qualifying. I did hear the sound of a magazine clattering on the ground and in the back of my mind I thought that the other guy must be having some kind of difficulty to be dropping his magazine on the ground.

It turned out that whatever happened caused his magazine to blow out and his magazine eject button to blow out of the handle of the gun and cut his finger. His hand got bloody, there was blood on his face, and a cut on his face which I guess must have been from some debris flying out of his exploding gun. I didn't fully grasp what had happened until I was done qualifying, stepped out of the stall, and looked at him. At that time I handed him some disinfectant wipes that happened to be nearby (mindful to avoid touching his blood, per the bloodborne pathogen training I recieve every year working for a health organization) while the instructor got help from the range staff. He wasn't seriously injured or anything but clearly the gun had somehow exploded and cut his hand and face a little bit.

We were using lead-free factory loads so it wasn't a hot load that caused the explosion. I thought, without having seen the accident occur, that perhaps a round had gone off out of battery, but the instructor said that if that had happened the magazine would have blown up instead of blowing out and the injuries would have been much more serious. He instead said he felt the gun was defective, as in it must have been weak somewhere in its construction. After the range staff had administered first aid to the other shooter the instructor advised him to get in touch with the dealer who'd sold him the Glock so that they could send it back to Glock for a replacement. The instructor said that Glock would deny any responsibility for the accident but that they'd send him a new gun.

It was my first experience with a gun blowing up in my vicinity. It was kind of scary seeing as a relatively new gun from a reputable manufacturer feeding high-end factory ammo can apparently just up and blow up like that.

This is all pretty new to me. Have any experienced shooters seen something like this happen before, with a new gun and factory ammo?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 1:01am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmmm...... never with a Glock
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 9:31am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3174537AA0YMgl

I've got some more stuff on exploding glocks if you're interested. When I was looking to pick one up for my wife, I ran into a lot of these comments.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 10:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3174537AA0YMgl

I've got some more stuff on exploding glocks if you're interested. When I was looking to pick one up for my wife, I ran into a lot of these comments.
    See, in your link, everyone is going, "It's only the stoopid people who put hot loads into their glocks who have problems!", but in my experience above we clearly were using expensive lead-free factory ammo. Clearly what they are saying doesn't match up with my experience.

EDIT:

According to this link: http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

One cause of this kind problem is "lack of full case support" in the larger caliber Glocks. I believe that the guy had been firing a Glock in .45 ACP. So maybe that's one explanation. If that's true it seems to me maybe it's a good idea not to get a Glock if you're going to be firing anything larger than 9mm.

•Lack of full case support in the critical area over the feed ramp of all large caliber (.40 S&W, 10mm, .45 ACP) Glock pistols. [See Annotation #5]

Ostensibly as a measure to promote feed reliability, Glock chamber mouths are slightly oversized. One can test this by removing the barrel from the Glock, dropping a factory round into the chamber, and observing that there is brass exposed at the six o'clock position. Take a fired case and note that there is a slight engraving if not actual bulge around the case web, which is most pronounced in the area of the case which, upon firing, was in the six-o'clock position.
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 3/21/2010 10:39am at .
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 10:37am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's not hot loads, it's usually faulty metal.

Fatigue (not in this case), faulty heat treat/temper or fabrication process.

Can't see the link. Crazy Chinese censoring won't let me on many sites this trip. Can you give me a short rundown on any cause of failures that have been identified?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    See, in your link, everyone is going, "It's only the stoopid people who put hot loads into their glocks who have problems!", but in my experience above we clearly were using expensive lead-free factory ammo. Clearly what they are saying doesn't match up with my experience.

EDIT:

According to this link: http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

One cause of this kind problem is "lack of full case support" in the larger caliber Glocks. I believe that the guy had been firing a Glock in .45 ACP. So maybe that's one explanation. If that's true it seems to me maybe it's a good idea not to get a Glock if you're going to be firing anything larger than 9mm.
    I'll see if I can dig up more of the links I found. That was just the first one I saw for "exploding glock" on google.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 10:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    If it's not hot loads, it's usually faulty metal.

Fatigue (not in this case), faulty heat treat/temper or fabrication process.

Can't see the link. Crazy Chinese censoring won't let me on many sites this trip. Can you give me a short rundown on any cause of failures that have been identified?
    Basically, the link says that Glock feed ramps are unsupported, have slightly large chambers that could allow for the firing of a round out of battery, and at the same time will drop the firing pin on a slightly out of battery round. Because of these factors a Glock might be a bit more likely to blow up using factory ammo than, say, a different firearm that has a better fitting chamber and won't drop the firing pin on an out-of-battery round. The stuff that makes Glocks a little more reliable might also make them a little bit more likely to have an issue with a round going off slightly out of battery. The article recommends getting an after-market barrel for your Glock that has a supported feed ramp and tighter chamber especially if you intend on putting reloads through the Glock.

EDIT: Also if you reload brass that has been fired in a Glock the larger chamber can mean that the brass actually expanded a bit and therefore got thinner and changed dimensions a little bit. This can make the brass become unsafe to reload faster than you might expect with other firearms.

Anyway, since the guy next to me had been shooting factory ammo and not reloads, the above article makes me wonder if he had a limp wristing problem which could have contributed to a round not chambering quite right, which in turn could have lead to the round going off slightly out of battery.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks WR

BTW - I haven't forgot you.

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 2:40pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While you say that they were "factory load". Do you mean that they were really "factory loads" or were they perhaps "re-manufactured" rounds? And were they FMJ, HP or straight lead projectiles?

KB's have happened to some degree in almost all models of handgun.

Glock KB FAQ: http://www.f-r-i.com/glock/FAQ/FAQ-kb.htm

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 4:36pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    While you say that they were "factory load". Do you mean that they were really "factory loads" or were they perhaps "re-manufactured" rounds? And were they FMJ, HP or straight lead projectiles?

KB's have happened to some degree in almost all models of handgun.

Glock KB FAQ: http://www.f-r-i.com/glock/FAQ/FAQ-kb.htm

Eh...I've never seen this happen with Glocks + real manufactured rounds. Don't forget that many ranges cut corners and offer re-manufactured (reloaded) rounds sold by the name of Ultramax or stuff like that. People call them "factory loads" because they come in an "official new" box. But...more often than not, ammo like this either gets reloaded and put into new boxes, or is cleaned up foreign ammo and placed into new boxes. Quality assurance is VERY SKETCHY.

Shoot Winchester, Remington, etc. and you'll likely not be sorry. As for (out of battery) explosions, yeah..it'll blow the magazine downward (gravity and the magazine will force it in the direction of least resistance (ie, the paper-clip quality spring in the grip--which is DOWN).

Need more info. You shoulda got pics of the ammo boxes and gun.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast