Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 3:21pm

Style: scared punching bag

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How long does learning the basics of judo take?

basically my buddy convinced me that my former coach only taught me stuff that will get you in jail if u use it in "self defense". too deadly basically. then he said i should take up judo like him because you can control people and bouncers wont send you with your attacker to the police. first of all is my buddy right? secondly would taking private instruction speed up the learning? or not worth it ? i have no grappling skills only thai boxing basics, jun fan basics and kali silat in between beginner and intermediate or so

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by original_witty View Post
    basically my buddy convinced me that my former coach only taught me stuff that will get you in jail if u use it in "self defense". too deadly basically. then he said i should take up judo like him because you can control people and bouncers wont send you with your attacker to the police. first of all is my buddy right? secondly would taking private instruction speed up the learning? or not worth it ? i have no grappling skills only thai boxing basics, jun fan basics and kali silat in between beginner and intermediate or so
    When you slam someone to the ground who has not learned ukemi and doesn't know to keep their chin on their chest, you will discover where the real deadly is.

Better to avoid persons and places where you are going to have to "control someone" in the first place.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 3:31pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Self defense is one of those areas where it is hard to tell what is and isn't against the law. It really depends on the situation and the local laws where you live. That being said don't knock Judo, it is a good martial art.

Judo does I find rely on a Gi too much, which in my eyes does limit its effectivness when compared to the street application of no-gi BJJ training, or striking arts like boxing and kickboxing. But it is effective, widespread, and most importantly cheap.

Also if somebody ever criticizes you for being too deadly, and that you should train in an art that is not teh deadly, there is something slightly off.

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 3:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I said too deadly sort of jokingly, it's not really "deadly" i mean. I mean most of what my teacher considered something appropriate to do "in the street" looked somewhat like this YouTube- EXPLOSIVE DUMOG but i also wonder about judo, if there's no mats and the person cannot do judo breakfalls, isn't all this pretty deadly? YouTube- Judo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 3:48pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo throw + cement - breakfall = fight over
    This is a simple equation I have worked out for the effectivness of takedowns on the street.
    If you can find a good filipino martial arts school and stickwith it, you will be dangerous. It is however harder to find a good kali or escrima school than to find a good judo dojo.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 3:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good Judo throw can have you seeing stars and wheezing even if you do know ukemi and are landing on mats. You figure it out.

As far as getting proficient, it depends. Tachi-waza takes much longer to get down than newaza, but you can expect to be reasonable in a couple of years, maybe. You get out what you put in though, just like anything else.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 5:25pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lets see I have been doing Judo since 1995 and I still don't know ****. So do the math.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 6:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Lets see I have been doing Judo since 1995 and I still don't know ****. So do the math.
    15 years and you don't know ****? how can dat possible???

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 6:00pm

Style: Christopher Hitchens-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post
    Judo does I find rely on a Gi too much, which in my eyes does limit its effectivness when compared to the street application of no-gi BJJ training
    yes, because people usually walk around buck naked. oh wait, that doesn't happen in my neck of the woods. damn, last time i was in waterloo, people looked pretty well covered up. things must have changed since.

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 6:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenikim View Post
    yes, because people usually walk around buck naked. oh wait, that doesn't happen in my neck of the woods. damn, last time i was in waterloo, people looked pretty well covered up. things must have changed since.
    people in clubs usually don't wear more than a simple dress shirt or a t shirt over their torsos. but funny thing is that a lot of street tough bastards like to wear black leather jackets all the time year round with the same hoody **** under it with the cap hanging out of the black leather jacket. soooo....
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast