Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2010 12:43am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's amazing there were no kicks to the leg during that whole video. NOT ONE.

Posted On:
    3/22/2010 12:46am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    He probably meant that the documentary refers to (deep breath) the US manifestation of a pan-African-diasporic martial arts tradition manifest as capoeira in Brazil, El Juego de Maní in Cuba, Danmye in Martinique, etc., which is alleged to have influenced both the development of breakdancing and boxing in the USA.
    Remember when I hinted that I'm an idiot? I meant it. That said, I'm quite happy that the only word I had to look up in that post was 'diasporic'.

So if I understand correctly, which I probably don't, what you're saying is that they're not saying that Boxing was invented in America and that it come from 52 Blocks, but that the martial traditions of the African-American community influenced the study of Boxing by the African-Americans and the subsequent evolution of Boxing within the United States.

I'm probably way off. God-damn I'm retarded.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2010 1:02am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Solvalou View Post
    Remember when I hinted that I'm an idiot? I meant it. That said, I'm quite happy that the only word I had to look up in that post was 'diasporic'.

So if I understand correctly, which I probably don't, what you're saying is that they're not saying that Boxing was invented in America and that it come from 52 Blocks, but that the martial traditions of the African-American community influenced the study of Boxing by the African-Americans and the subsequent evolution of Boxing within the United States.

I'm probably way off. God-damn I'm retarded.
    Both boxing and breakdancing, though obviously, not at the same time nor in the same ways. Otherwise, go to the head of the class.

The claim itself has been controversial because it's based on oral traditions, but professional historians and anthropologists have given it some credence over the past five years or so. Research is ongoing.

Posted On:
    3/22/2010 1:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this from the somewhat normal 52 blocks group or the stereotypical thug/chun-chun mentality wannabe's?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2010 1:42am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's from the FWAPE/Blockstar/etc. crew; I think they are probably who you have in mind as the normal 52 Blocks group.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2010 2:13am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meat monkey View Post
    If I do this skull and crossbones thingy.. do I have to start wearing baggy pants and shirts as well? I'd rather not, I have generally always worn clothes that actually fit me...........
    Yes you do, that's their "Gi"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2010 2:41am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12