Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Nothing at the moment
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New to martial arts

Hello, I recently decided to get off my lazy ass and start doing some kind of exercise to get in better shape so I started training martial arts.

Finding Kendo abit to boring I wanted to search elswehere for a MA that would give me more, so about 8 months ago I joined a Bujinkan dojo. (yay, another ninjer wannabe to bash)
    And no I don't wanna be a ninja, I want to train martial arts and hopefully be able to defend myself if I should ever get in a fight.
    Tho I like the art I still can't shake the feeling that some of it seems very outdated and more suited for people wearing armor.
    I have been reading on these forum and seen what most of you think and feel about bujinkan I still have some shred hope that not all of the techniques are totally useless. So I was hoping for some info from both former and current Bujinkan practitioners on what techniques that could still be of any use if trained well in sparring sessions.

Please excuse any bad english, most norwegians generally suck at it :P

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what city are you in?

Style
    Nothing at the moment
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bergen

Style
    Hapkido/Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are there any arts in particular you are looking at?

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Consider judo?

obligatory statement -

It's cheap and widely available!

Style
    Transitioning as usual
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarith View Post
    , I want to train martial arts and hopefully be able to defend myself if I should ever get in a fight.
    Welcome Zarith.
    Here's my main gripe, if I ever have an issue with anyone on my usual calm stance of hotbed arguments, Self Defense is the one I'm always ready to jump at.
    I truly don't believe it really exists. As being good at fighting requires constant, constant, constant repetition/training in which you usually have one clear defined goal,
    "Beat this guy under this rule set"
    THAT is hard enough. Self defense is so varied, so impossible to determine...Maybe you drilled all your life, every minute of the day, for three scenarios out of millions. And low and behold one of those three scenarios happens, and to your misfortune there's one small variable that made all your practice in said event come to a tragic end. I just believe quite simply conditioning and experience is your best canopy....nothing else really.

Outside of that long welcome....regarding Bujinkan/any Martial Art that receives criticism here, understand that everyone argues "It's gotta be useful...somewhere down the line!"

If -you- already believe there's something that has more practical applications that you're willing to partake in, that's like being given a unicycle or a car....both can get you to a destination, but one does it much better.

Seconding hungryjoe.
    Judo all the way.

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *obligatory list

Boxing&Judo - both cheap and widely available, awesome apart and awesomER together

Muay Thai, Sanda - awesome, you will be able to clinch/knee/dump people on their head

BJJ - great for one on one fighting provided you don't mind hard floors, you will choke people til they fall asleep/die or break their bones.. your choice

..there are others but those are the most likely ones you'll come across and the ones proven to be hardcore in competition

..oh and Big Boss is a troll ignore him
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Style
    Nothing at the moment
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post
    Are there any arts in particular you are looking at?
    Looking into and reading about different arts to find one that suits me, been thinking about trying out Taijiquan. The nearby school that teaches it seems to have the real thing and not the "old man move slow" version.

Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post
    Consider judo?

obligatory statement -

It's cheap and widely available!
    Not sure I'd want to join the local club, some of the people I've met who train there come off as real douchebags.
    When I get alittle more fit, I might look into BJJ. (25 years of gaming does not work wonders for ones musculature :P )

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No. 'when I get a little more fit' is an excuse. Training hard will make you fit. Anything you can learn and more importantly DO under pressure that doesn't require a shitload of sweat and hard work isn't worth doing.

I seriously doubt the judo guys are douchebags. Grapplers tend to be alot more secure in themselves, as they spend their free time rubbing up against guys.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honesly, there are douchebags in every organization.

Think about checking into the judo. There's usually a free week or two at most places. All you have to do is sign a waiver.

Betting if you invest that one week, you'll find the good people far outnumber the douches. It's been my experience that judo people are for the most part a great group of individuals.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last