Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Japanese Jujutsu

Im taking judo starting next month and apparently theres a Japanese Jujutsu class in the same building. Would it be worth taking this at the same time as judo? The dojo says that JJ is not a sport and teaches the true JJ martial art

http://fugadojo.orgfree.com/home.html

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're ninjers. Stay away.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stick with Judo....
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Style
    jiu jitsu, kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone who has done jiu jitsu, I'd say stick with judo.

As someone who's taken a look at their site and realized that these people are ninja-wannabes, I'd say just stay the hell away from them.

Style
    MT, Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grandmaster Tanemura Sensei has chosen Fuga Dojo as the name for our dojo. The name may be translated as Grateful Wind Dojo.
    HAH. Grateful wind.

Style
    Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grateful Wind sounds like it could be a good name for a folk rock group.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Style
    Hapkido/Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grateful Wind, they specialize in precision timing passing of wind for self defense.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stay away from them.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Woah guys. This is a Genbukan Dojo, not a Bujinkan one. Remember the original Genbukan members were the ones that broke off because they wanted to train real martial arts, not pretend to do it like the Bujinkan. Also the Genbukan Ninpo and their Kokusai Jujutsu is heavily based on Takagi Yoshin-ryu and Asayama Ichiden-ryu. No Ninjering in those systems, just straight solid Japanese Jujutsu. In fact the heavily emphasis on Ukemi in the Genbukan Ninpo will directly benefit his Judo, I find Genbukan members on average have better falling and rolling skills then their Judo counterparts. Also the Genbukan kyu levels contain a lot of Ukemi counters (rolling and cartwheeling out of of locks and throws) which would integrate nicely into Judo Randori.

Now here is the catch. Over the last few years, I am starting to hear Genbukan instructors throw around the too deadly excuse for removing the alive training. I know first hand the Genbukan used to spar and roll. I don't know what happened, but as an organization they usually have a tight hold of their ranks unlike the Bujinkan.

Personally, I would visit, ask to watch a class. Also ask how often they spar or randori. That should give you an idea what type of school they are.

Style
    JJJ/JKD/Kali/Combatives
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God help me, I find myself agreeing with Plasma again.

Genbukan does have a reputation for better quality control, and less mystical mumbo-jumbo than Bujinkan. It may be worth a look. Besides... this is Fort Worth, Texas and it could be worse. You could be next door in Dallas and suckered into Ralph Severe's ninjer dojo. (If you don't know already, you don't want to know.)

Seriously, my $.02 is pick one program and stick with it for awhile; and keep in mind that Judo is cheap, reliable, and widely available if you have to move. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last