Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 9:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you were in BC I'd be of more help.

Go talk to several well established security companies in your area. They will know the legal requirements for licensing, and they will know which instructors do good jobs and which ones are suspect.

Local colleges often offer these courses, under contuing education.

Post the names of the companies you are suspicious about. Someone here might know something about them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 9:47pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    If you were in BC I'd be of more help.

Go talk to several well established security companies in your area. They will know the legal requirements for licensing, and they will know which instructors do good jobs and which ones are suspect.

Local colleges often offer these courses, under continuing education.

Post the names of the companies you are suspicious about. Someone here might know something about them.
    OK well... I may come back to trying to be a security guard if I'm unemployed in a couple weeks. The company I went to that I was suspicious of was called Ontario Security Training. I posted their website in my OP. Everything they told me checked out... that you have to take a course to get licensed. I am suspicious because I have been ripped off before in other scenarios and a couple things raised flags.

Here's what made me feel suspicious. I'll make it a small list that may not be all inclusive.
    1) The company advertised as an employer but when I got there I could see on the door it had "training" in its name. Then the pitch... they train and headhunt for us, not the same as employing.
    2) The screening was way too easy
    2a) The interviewer peppered me with compliments
    3) The interviewer / sales guy acted as though they were interested in me because employers would want to hire me, and not because they were making profit off of the extremely expensive 2 day course.
    4) A sense of urgency was put on me to sign up.

Now about the cost. He did say the company's lawyer teaches it, and I know lawyers are really expensive. But about $400 for a 2 day course?

Maybe I will call my local community college and see about if they have something like that offered as continuing education.

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 11:05pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is from an Australian perspective
    There shouldnt be any head hunting. Security is a semi crap job and usually companies are falling all over themselves to employ people. Some companies will pay for your course. Espesially if you have a presance and can speak english dont go for a bouncing firm go for a security static guard that sort of thing. I used to do a lot of shopping centers and I enjoyed that just fine. Big companies may treat you like a number but you tend to get fair treatment minimum wage and less screw around.
    Dont go for a subcontracting company and ask which sites they have you want perminent jobs that have large numbers of full time work. because of you amazing talents (speak english) you should be able to pick and choose what site you work on.
    If you wish to move on to hard core Bouncing that can be your choice but it is hit and miss and you want to have spoken to people working in the industry and the venue first. (Good bouncers can earn a higher wage or just get ass raped. It depends)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 2:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I don't think I have what it takes to bounce. I was thinking of working the desk of a building, the guy whose job it is to watch and call the cops if anything happens. I don't want to make arrests or have altercations with people. I think security can really vary depending on your employer and the nature of their needs.

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 3:45am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good choice

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 1:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. I dont live in Ontario so I would not know abou the requirements but I have had experience from "employers" who want money through the hiring process and that generally tells me to run the other way, someones scamming someone.
    2. In the states, ( in my opinion) security sucks. You dont have the same rights as a police officer in terms of arrest detain. Your pretty much there to observe and report. People know this so you get zero respect. You are actually under more constraints under the law than an average citizen.
    3. To avoid scams stay off of craigslist, apply from well established companies like loomis armored, securitas and under no circumstances pay for your training.

hope this helps-
    A.F.S.1

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 2:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    400$ for two days?

The course in BC is 4-500$ and it's 40 hours long!

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a place that will pay for your course without knowing you ahead of time. There is too much variance in the field, too many shitty security guards who companies either fire or loose to other security companies. Most companies would only be willing to pay for the course because they are desperate or know you ahead of time.

The recent companies I've been with, as well as my bar, just deem the license a pre-requisite for employment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 10:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes From what I've heard the license is a prerequisite and its illegal for you to work without license or for an employer to hire you without license under punishment of jailtime. My friends girlfriend told me today that her roommate had a job as security, and he did have to apply for a license but did not have to take training. I think that might change as the guy at the company did say after April 13th that a 40 hour course will be required to get your certificate. So I'm not sure about the laws. I'm going to call Paladin security tomorrow and ask what they require to hire.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    3/31/2010 5:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, don't bother... I'm a security guard and my company pays for my license. Also my training was free.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 9:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was under the impression Alberta didn't require a license. Last time I worked out there was about five years ago and we were told we could use hand cuffs or batons or pretty much anything.

I'm interested to know if it's changed.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast