Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 12:49am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Becoming a Security Guard and avoiding scams

Here's my situation. I graduated college and I am trying to get my career started. I haven't heard much from the employers. I decided that its okay to get a minimum wage job, and/or part time job while I wait for employment that has to do more with what I went to college for.

I have heard of colleagues of mine in the past working security jobs while in school (unfortunately I'm not in contact with those same people any more). I responded to a classified add and I filled out the application. It seemed like they were filtering out only the dimmest of bulbs. E.G. you had to know how to spell, write, do arithmetic, and not have a criminal record etc.

The interviewer was only curious why I was interested in changing careers. I told him I wasn't but I needed a job in the meantime and he was fine with that. Next he told me that you need to be licensed to work as a security professional in Canada. He said when I complete their 2 day course I could then apply to the government for a license which would take 7-10 business days, and then I could be sent out to the many various employers they have. That's $80 to the government to issue the license, and I think around $400 for the course taught by their lawyer who also will be guarantor for my application to the government.

At this point my antenna was going up I said I'm skeptical of having to pay money up front. He pitched it to me like he was a head hunter and I was an ideal candidate except for the license, and that employers don't want to pay for that themselves. I asked for time to check it out. He said that's fine but spots for Monday's classes were filling up. He said I could check them out by entering in the Google search their name and the word scam. He showed me a computer screen full of the employers they work with and the number of security needed for each position.

When I got home I checked online and I feel mixed. On one hand alarm bells are going because the people who were scammed by other security companies reported a similar experience. On the other hand I also found out online that you do have to take a course before you can be licensed as a security guard in Canada (Ontario in my case).

So my questions to any who may be able to help...
    1. Did I get something wrong here about how to become a security guard in Ontario?
    2. Your thoughts on working security as a job even if its not the career path you plan on pursuing?
    3. If I want to get a job in security how to I protect myself from scams? Can I get an employer to pay for my training?*

*I did check this company with the better business bureau, and I did a google search. Neither indicated major complaints about this company except one complaint with the BBB (Claim of alleged company failure to honor company policy or verbal commitment to provide refunds, exchanges, or credit for products of services). I figure this is probably someone who paid for the training and wanted to back out of it or get a refund after failure. The claim is closed because the BBB has determined that the dispute cannot be settled using standard methods of voluntary dispute resolution.

the company is called "Ontario Security Training" and they have a website: https://www.ontariosecuritytraining.com/home/

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 2:13am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds suspicious as ****. I love that he tried to arm-twist you with the "Buy now! Time is running out!" line.

It's not unusual for a state to require security guards be licensed. That being said, his line about "being able to apply after you take the course" raises my hackles, too. I would guess that if you applied without taking the course, you'd still get the license.

As is, I'd talk to your local department of licensing, whatever form that may take. (Since you're in Canada, I'd imagine the licensing office also sells nightcrawlers and homemade smoked salmon, but I digress.) But my snap assessment is this guy is full of ****.

Besides, if you want a minimum wage job, there are a lot better ones than being a security guard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 3:37am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are websites like securityinfowatch.com were there are guys in your neck of the woods who could better answer your question. that sounds like a lot of dough and a scam. i would also suggest you call some of the larger security companies in your area and ask them about getting a lic for your area. That will give you a better gauge on what you should be spending on a class if any.

On a note of what Goon said if it's about money you would probably make more and get better benefits working as a night custodian. only thing about a security gig is if you work the overnight it is usually quite enough to get homework done.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 7:42am

Style: IRT/FMA/BJJ/BUDO TAIJUTSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a scam to me!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 8:37am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON View Post
    Besides, if you want a minimum wage job, there are a lot better ones than being a security guard.
    I worked "Polyester Uniform" security through Pinkerton's in the U.S. while in College. It's a pie job. Usually you sit at a desk for an hour, make your rounds and turn the key at the station(s) to prove you made your rounds. 8 times a shift (unless you're working one of those 12 hour shift - which SUCK). Fill out some paperwork at the end of the day saying "nothing happened" and spend the rest of your time trying not to fall asleep from boredom; boredom being the biggest danger to Polyester Uniforms.

When I worked at Guard Shacks I could read books. Some shacks have TVs. When I worked a Front Desk I couldn't be seen reading but I could write letters or just about anything else as long as I fulfilled the Security function of the job and didn't look like I was being as bored as I actually was to casual passers.

And it paid better than Minimum Wage. Not College Professional rates, by any means, but still better than min.

Besides the boredom, the biggest annoyance of the job is that it seemed to attract more than fair share of nutbars to the profession. But most of these could be ignored because you only have to deal with them for a few min. during shift change.

To summarize (in the U.S. anyhow), most Uniformed Security is EASY but boring and way better than the vast majority of "clean these toilets" minimum wage jobs.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 8:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. He did say that after April 13th it'll be mandatory to do 48 hours in class training to be licensed. I'll check out securityinfowatch.com and see if I can ask a local police officer or something.

It would be great if I could get more than min, which I think is possible. The guy said his company does all sorts of security, but they specialize in loss prevention. This means things like working under cover in stores, making arrests, etc. I expressed my concern about the responsibilities and dangers of making arrests when having so minimal training. He said its okay, he could put me somewhere I'd be comfortable like a building security guard, that because I can speak English well and I'm educated I would be suitable for almost anywhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 10:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds suspicious as ****. I love that he tried to arm-twist you with the "Buy now! Time is running out!" line.
    He did say I would be able to take another but I would have to wait another week. I still didn't like being time pressured unnecessarily.

It's not unusual for a state to require security guards be licensed. That being said, his line about "being able to apply after you take the course" raises my hackles, too. I would guess that if you applied without taking the course, you'd still get the license.
    I don't have a really good source but I was able to get this: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9195155AAW8mIx
    The questionnaire at the security company asks if you've worked as a peace officer so I think this may be correct, however there is no mention of indication that you've taken the proper training on the government forms the yahoo user links to.

As is, I'd talk to your local department of licensing, whatever form that may take. (Since you're in Canada, I'd imagine the licensing office also sells nightcrawlers and homemade smoked salmon, but I digress.) But my snap assessment is this guy is full of ****.
    Yes, right next door to the department of maple syrup. It used to be the department of silly walks, but we decided to distinguish ourselves from our British counterparts. :laughing9

Yeah, for some reason I have trouble getting even crappy jobs. In the past its not been hard, but I think I need to either dumb down my resume and come up with better answers to stupid questions in interviews. If I can find a way to get work easily really fast, I'll generally go for it though.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 2:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eh...it depends. If they are teaching the "Unarmed/Armed" class "in house" (meaning it costs them ZERO DOLLARS) and then they charge you $480.00 to attend, yeah...it's a scam. Run away fast. However, if your state/country requires an "Unarmed/Armed" guard certification; and they send you someplace else where it's taught by a legit organization, then yeah...you might be screwed. Paying any fees up front as a "licensing" or "professional" fee---is usually the sign of scams--and stay the hell away.
    Most employers PAY THIS FOR YOU, along with anything else the state requires for you to work, including providing weapons and/or uniforms.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 2:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadUglyMagic View Post
    Have you tried contacting a security companies directly or searching their websites? Most have websites and probably an FAQ page with the miniumum requirements and how to meet them.
    I have searched workopolis and noticed most advertised positions there are looking for more qualified individuals. People who have completed a police foundations diploma and that sort of thing.

I have decided that for at least the next couple weeks I'll look for a job as something else, since up front costs don't appeal to me. Most of what the guy said did check out. Only I have no way of verifying that he has work for me the moment I'm licensed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 3:06pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes it is true in Ontario you need a license to become a security guard, or a bouncer.
    Here is the link to the website with the applications
    http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/s...NO=008-06-005E

Just in case anybody needs it
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast