Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 4:31pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like you may need some drills to improve reaction time and explosiveness. I find some other sports do this better, for example look at sprinters exercises. Any of their leg workouts work wonders for your leg speed and power. I am sure you have done reaction time workouts in TKD, but in the past I have used hockey goalie drills to improve hand eye coordination. I don't see how those drills could not be adapted to your needs.

Don't be afraid to look to other sports for training ideas, cross training is where its at my friend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 9:54am

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks I do feel that I'm a little slow with follow up attacks. Do you guys have any more technical advice or any drills to help work on footwork and distancing.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 10:34am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long have you been practicing?

Competing?

Sounds like your opponent was reading your attack and was a counter puncher. A good counter puncher / kicker is hard to beat.

You've been given some good advice. Move off line.

One area to work on for counter punching is to be relaxed.

Also

You can't have explosive speed when you're already tight.

Do you go for a straight attack? Try setting up your attack with perhaps a feint here and there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 5:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a first dan black belt so I have experience in in big competitions. The thing is this was my first time fighting at States, and my opponent was a fourth dan who has been competing at States since eight years ago. He was clear a more experienced fighter, but I still want to learn from that match and work on improving my skills so all I'll be an all better fighter next time.

My Instructor said the reason I lost was because he was able to read me and was really good at moving and angling off me.
    Last edited by korean dragon; 3/20/2010 5:25pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2010 8:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by korean dragon View Post
    My Instructor said the reason I lost was because he was able to read me and was really good at moving and angling off me.
    Well, if he was able to read you like your instructor said, you need to work more feints into your game-check motions, stepping in/out/side, to draw out your opponents. If you can get them to commit to your feint, then you have them where you want them.

It sounds like your opponent is a defensive fighter-a counter-kicker. Unless you are faster off the line, or throw some feints in, you are playing his game.

Good luck!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 11:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Miles is exactly right - - you are playing his game. Your opponent is a more experienced fighter, and he's forcing you to come to him, then he counters (I do the same thing with less experienced fighters). If he his able to read your move, and counter, then you are not using enough deception to your attacks, and you are committing too much to your initial launch.

If your opponent won't attack first to give you the opportunity to counter, then make your first attack a very realistic feint that does not commit fully to aggression, when he makes his counter, then you counter that move. I'm not going to say any more in case I ever have to meet you in the ring..... I don't want you to know everything I know! lol

Blue Knight

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 4:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    unfortunately this is what happens in the point game.. is it not a viable option to just keep your hands up and wade in?
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 4:06pm

Style: taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    unfortunately this is what happens in the point game.. is it not a viable option to just keep your hands up and wade in?
    Actually this tends to be my prefered method to winning when in competitions having said that ITF rules is continuos not just score and stop.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 9:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice guys I have been working on using feints and mixing up my kicks more. My initial feeling is that I'm fighting more fluidly, but my attacks are less thought out, don't no if it's just me being more active or if I'm getting wild.

started to diet and weight train, and have the first of my big tournaments at then end of the month, so I'll keep you guys updated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 11:13am

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he is a counter attacker they sometimes freeze up if you throw multiple combinations. Move off the line, use more feints and try multiple kick combinations. Nothing crazy or too flashy but 2-3 kicks at a time usually forces a counter fighter to remain still.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast