Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 4:12pm

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick View Post

And? Yes? When did I say it was? And the fact that most large armies in ancient times acted this way invalidates my statement how?

It doesn't make it untrue, but it makes it a false distinction.

Look, I'm not trying to argue here - I agree people shouldn't take this as ancient - I made that point in post 4. But why lob a bomb when you're making a perfectly good point without it?

But free for all I suppose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 4:14pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sbh View Post
    @ kwan_dao
    So, yes, to Eudemic: these weapons are part of the training.
    Do you engage in free-play/sparring with the weapons you learn? What level(s) of contact?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 4:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: nabard

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure I see the connection between the intensity of the training and the club producing fighters since the rigor of the training is up to Safakhoo and whether one competes depends on the motivations of the student. We are neither encouraged nor discouraged from competing. For one thing, the style does not lend itself to tournament fighting because many of our techniques would not be allowed in such a venue. When we spar, it is not about points and we don't "reset" after striking. We do short, intense rounds where really the only rule is respect. We control our strikes to minimize injury and with particularly dangerous techniques such as throws our kicks to the knee, we simply show the move.

The school is not about competition, so I think that is why belts and tournaments are not emphasized. Whether we've had anyone go to UFC-style fights, I'm not sure. But again, that would be at the initiative of the student, not Safakhoo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 4:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You do engage in free-play with your weapons, but with little contact then?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 4:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: nabard

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eudemic,

I have not participated in weapons sparring myself, but I've seen it in videos. The bladed weapons techniques are for advanced students and I imagine a considerable amount of protective gear would be involved, and so we don't have a class specifically for that kind of sparring, but my impression is that if the demand were there, there could be such a class, but it would take a critical mass of interested senior students. I can't really speak to what the level of contact would be, but I can assure you that safety would be a foremost consideration.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 4:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason I bring it up is because what I saw in that broadsword video struck me as being more spastic than martial. If I knew that high-contact or full-contact sparring with weapons was encouraged and regularly practiced (and looked like that) at your school the validity of what is being taught wouldn't be so in question in my mind.

I will admit to knowing next to nothing about CMA or Persian martial tradition as it exists today, but when I compare this to what I know of HEMA and FMA I can't help but doubt the competency of that man and/or his instructors when it comes to the use of swords.

(Edited for clarity)
    Last edited by Eudemic; 3/19/2010 4:44pm at .

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 5:03pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sbh View Post
    I'm not sure I see the connection between the intensity of the training and the club producing fighters since the rigor of the training is up to Safakhoo and whether one competes depends on the motivations of the student. We are neither encouraged nor discouraged from competing. For one thing, the style does not lend itself to tournament fighting because many of our techniques would not be allowed in such a venue. When we spar, it is not about points and we don't "reset" after striking. We do short, intense rounds where really the only rule is respect. We control our strikes to minimize injury and with particularly dangerous techniques such as throws our kicks to the knee, we simply show the move.
    Sbh? Everything you say in this post is an indicator of McDojo status. Just so you know.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 5:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Possibly bullshido instruction as well. . .

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is poorly repackaged CMA. It is not a "Persian" art in the sense that that statement is presented. Renaming it "nabard" and saying it's "Persian" implies that it has an Iranian history, which is untrue. With the inclusion of butterfly swords in the original video, along with a broadsword-esque weapon (looks like a Chinese "war sword"), I question what CMA is being prostituted out as a nonexistent Persian art.

And when did we stop calling it "Persia," anyway? So why not call it "Iranian" instead of trying to make a tenuous connection to antiquity in a bid for legitimacy?

They don't compete because their gimmick techniques (my money's on eye gouges, biting, and fish hooking) aren't allowed, so that must mean by default that, without their gimmick techniques, they have precisely **** to use otherwise. They're hard core, but they can't "dial it down" to compete a little.

Bullshit.

Lady and Gentlemen, I think there's sufficient reason to properly label this mess without going much further.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't been there in many years. But from what I remember, the sparring was pretty garbage, and contact was not allowed. As in, I was told not to do it. I remember watching some of the students and it was compliant sparring with the typical face clawing and stuff like that. There is also no response to ground fighting in any way. A lot of stuff has some chun influence, and they have _ing _un dummies at the academy as well.

I obviously wouldn't be qualified to answer any questions about the place because I didn't go for very long. But I can tell you that the place is pretty crappy for actual fight training. Good for dance class. And it took an act of congress to get out of my contract. But I was able!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast