3/18/2010 11:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MAC, KFM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Jenkins View Post
    Your Google-fu is weak.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/site...p/t-65404.html

Nabard was created by "Master Safakhoo".
    "This art was created by Grandmaster Safakhoo who is known as the Father of Modern Persian Martial Arts."

Some vids
    NABARD Shamshir Techniques (broad sword) Video by Nabard - The Persian Art of Combat - MySpace Video#

http://www.getacd.es/busca_escuchar_canciones_1/nabard
    Damn! I thought I was good on this one. I figured there had to be something on here. Anyways thanks for the thread!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 1:47pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I visited this place a few years ago. Like about 8 or 9. I had been kickboxing for a while and was looking to try something new. I went there and signed up for a few months. I mostly wanted to spar some of the guys but was told that I didn't know enough of the system in order to fight properly with them. So I learned a few forms and finally go to spar with some of the top students. That was only after I told them that I was going to quit because the place didn't spar enough.

So I spar with one of the guys. We put on sparring gear, and I do what I usualy do when I spar. My favorite combo is a left jab, right leg kick, then left jab fake right cross, left hook, right leg kick. I just like it and get good results from it. So I do that and Sifakoo jumps in and tells me that the kick I did is not practiced there becasue it will get me hurt. I was also told not to strike to the head so hard. The other guy's nose was bloody now.

So I get another guy to spar with and I accidentally(did on purpose) kicked him in the leg and he went down. I was stopped and told that I was not allowed to spar with them any more because they are too advanced for me. I need to learn forms for a few more months. I left and never went back.

I taught a self defense class at the health department about a year ago, and one of his students was there. She came up to me afterwards and told me that the simple stuff I showed her there was better than most of the stuff she had learned from Sifakoo. She wanted to come train with me but I mostly just roll with guys that I work with and don't teach or anything. So I told her no.

So basically, save your time and money. Don't go there.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 3:10pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwan_dao View Post
    I wonder if this is where the idea for Scott Sonnon's Clubbells came from.

http://www.clubbell.tv/

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 4:40pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jjwebber13 View Post
    I was asked by a friend to look into schools in his area as he wants to start his kid in martial arts. When looking for schools I came across This Master Safakhoo and the Persian art of combat called Nabard. I tried doing more searches on it in Bullshido but found nothing. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this? If there is a thread can you please point me in the right direction thanks.

Here is the link to the website
    http://www.thinktoas.com/index.html
    I thought I read a thread on this here years ago before I was a member. I was actually considering trying out this place. I've heard it is very expensive and seems to have a cultish following.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    I visited this place a few years ago. Like about 8 or 9. I had been kickboxing for a while and was looking to try something new. I went there and signed up for a few months. I mostly wanted to spar some of the guys but was told that I didn't know enough of the system in order to fight properly with them. So I learned a few forms and finally go to spar with some of the top students. That was only after I told them that I was going to quit because the place didn't spar enough.

So I spar with one of the guys. We put on sparring gear, and I do what I usualy do when I spar. My favorite combo is a left jab, right leg kick, then left jab fake right cross, left hook, right leg kick. I just like it and get good results from it. So I do that and Sifakoo jumps in and tells me that the kick I did is not practiced there becasue it will get me hurt. I was also told not to strike to the head so hard. The other guy's nose was bloody now.

So I get another guy to spar with and I accidentally(did on purpose) kicked him in the leg and he went down. I was stopped and told that I was not allowed to spar with them any more because they are too advanced for me. I need to learn forms for a few more months. I left and never went back.

I taught a self defense class at the health department about a year ago, and one of his students was there. She came up to me afterwards and told me that the simple stuff I showed her there was better than most of the stuff she had learned from Sifakoo. She wanted to come train with me but I mostly just roll with guys that I work with and don't teach or anything. So I told her no.

So basically, save your time and money. Don't go there.
    I've been meaning to ask your opinion of this place for a while. Are there any decent places in P-cola to train? -That is without going too far into the boonies where you live. I plan on looking for a new place to train close to GulfBreeze hopefully around summer time. I know there's a BJJ downtown, I might check them out.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 8:26pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I would try out the new BJJ with Pat Vito. I've rolled with him before. He is a good guy.

This is his web site: http://www.graciepensacola.com/

There are a couple of other places depending on what you are looking for. I'm probably going to start finding something else in the near future as well.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 8:59pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    Yeah, I would try out the new BJJ with Pat Vito. I've rolled with him before. He is a good guy.

This is his web site: http://www.graciepensacola.com/

There are a couple of other places depending on what you are looking for. I'm probably going to start finding something else in the near future as well.
    75$ a month and relatively close to home sounds good to me. I'll check it out and hopefully be able to start (there or somewhere else) at the end of this semester. What is there for kickboxing or muay thai in the area? Any judo?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 1:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: nabard

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My take on Nabard

So I am a student of Nabard. I wouldn't say it has a "cultish" following, but the students are devoted to the style. The training is rigorous and is not for the type of student who is just curious about martial arts and wants to take a few classes to see if it is for him. Safakhoo himself encourages his students or prospective students to try other styles to make sure that the training they receive is what they are after. After all, not everyone wants to learn martial arts in an unairconditioned, concrete floor facility in which you are asked to put 10-20 pound weights on each ankle and then do 360 consecutive kicks followed by the same routine without weights. If it seems "cultish" it is because there are very few people willing to subject themselves to the rigor of the training.

Now, regarding the ethnic heritage of the style.

As a style, Nabard is ethnically Persian: it was developed by a Persian, in Persia, and cannot be divorced from its cultural heritage. A superficial examination of the techniques of Nabard, especially if one is not familiar with the culture and martial history of Persia, is unlikely discern the distinctive character and ethnic heritage of Safakhoo's art. After all, it seems that a punch is a punch, and a kick is a kick; to this extent all martial arts bear a family resemblance to one another, and the common lore tells us that the ancestral roots of most martial arts is in East Asia, specifically China, Korea, and Japan. Nevertheless, the nations of east Asia and central Asia did not exist in isolated bubbles; through both conflict and commerce, China and the nations of the Middle East exchanged ideas and military might. Their similarities and mutual borrowings notwithstanding, we conceive of the products, both intellectual and tangible, as having a national character. Nabard is no different. Despite being the intellectual offspring of an ethnic Persian and being developed in Persia, Nabard's heritage includes Varzesh-e Pahlavani, a traditional martial art originating in pre-Islamic Iran. Practitioners of Nabard participate in conditioning regimes that include the tools and practices of Varzesh-e Pahlavani. The signature of this traditional martial art is most obvious in Safakhoo's approach to fitness which has come to be known as "Log Training." But issues of national identity in this context are primarily of historical interest and are likely to matter little to the modern martial athlete who is more likely to be interested in the efficacy and specific techniques of a martial discipline such as Nabard. Also, I wouldn't go calling Nabard's weapons or uniforms derivative of Chinese martial arts if you have not been to Iran and seen martial art practices there other than what you find on YouTube.

Any single aspect/technique of Nabard considered in isolation from the whole is unlikely to effectively distinguish it from other martial arts. Likewise, such would be the case were one to compare, say, one aspect of one style of Karate to another aspect belonging to a different style or to Tae Kwon Do. To understand Nabard, or its fellow martial arts, it must be taken as a whole, and by doing so, one can recognize that Nabard truly is a novel contribution to the martial arts. And if one is to appreciate Nabard thoroughly, one must experience it through training, it should be conceived holistically.

One person posted on this forum who dabbled in the art, but I'd be interested to hear from others who have more than dabbled.

The school is not expensive, contrary to what one forum member remarked. It is quite affordable, and given that with membership to the combat lessons you also get basically unlimited access to Safakhoo's non-combat oriented fitness classes, it is a bargain.

I hope this post has been informative.

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 3:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MAC, KFM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sbh View Post
    So I am a student of Nabard. I wouldn't say it has a "cultish" following, but the students are devoted to the style. The training is rigorous and is not for the type of student who is just curious about martial arts and wants to take a few classes to see if it is for him. Safakhoo himself encourages his students or prospective students to try other styles to make sure that the training they receive is what they are after. After all, not everyone wants to learn martial arts in an unairconditioned, concrete floor facility in which you are asked to put 10-20 pound weights on each ankle and then do 360 consecutive kicks followed by the same routine without weights. If it seems "cultish" it is because there are very few people willing to subject themselves to the rigor of the training.

Now, regarding the ethnic heritage of the style.

As a style, Nabard is ethnically Persian: it was developed by a Persian, in Persia, and cannot be divorced from its cultural heritage. A superficial examination of the techniques of Nabard, especially if one is not familiar with the culture and martial history of Persia, is unlikely discern the distinctive character and ethnic heritage of Safakhoo's art. After all, it seems that a punch is a punch, and a kick is a kick; to this extent all martial arts bear a family resemblance to one another, and the common lore tells us that the ancestral roots of most martial arts is in East Asia, specifically China, Korea, and Japan. Nevertheless, the nations of east Asia and central Asia did not exist in isolated bubbles; through both conflict and commerce, China and the nations of the Middle East exchanged ideas and military might. Their similarities and mutual borrowings notwithstanding, we conceive of the products, both intellectual and tangible, as having a national character. Nabard is no different. Despite being the intellectual offspring of an ethnic Persian and being developed in Persia, Nabard's heritage includes Varzesh-e Pahlavani, a traditional martial art originating in pre-Islamic Iran. Practitioners of Nabard participate in conditioning regimes that include the tools and practices of Varzesh-e Pahlavani. The signature of this traditional martial art is most obvious in Safakhoo's approach to fitness which has come to be known as "Log Training." But issues of national identity in this context are primarily of historical interest and are likely to matter little to the modern martial athlete who is more likely to be interested in the efficacy and specific techniques of a martial discipline such as Nabard. Also, I wouldn't go calling Nabard's weapons or uniforms derivative of Chinese martial arts if you have not been to Iran and seen martial art practices there other than what you find on YouTube.

Any single aspect/technique of Nabard considered in isolation from the whole is unlikely to effectively distinguish it from other martial arts. Likewise, such would be the case were one to compare, say, one aspect of one style of Karate to another aspect belonging to a different style or to Tae Kwon Do. To understand Nabard, or its fellow martial arts, it must be taken as a whole, and by doing so, one can recognize that Nabard truly is a novel contribution to the martial arts. And if one is to appreciate Nabard thoroughly, one must experience it through training, it should be conceived holistically.

One person posted on this forum who dabbled in the art, but I'd be interested to hear from others who have more than dabbled.

The school is not expensive, contrary to what one forum member remarked. It is quite affordable, and given that with membership to the combat lessons you also get basically unlimited access to Safakhoo's non-combat oriented fitness classes, it is a bargain.

Thanks for the information on Nabard. I have a couple of questions. One, how is his "Log training Regime" any different to training with telephone poles in the USMC. Two, what make Nabard unique except for the fact that it was created by a Persian. Three ,how is it pressure tested? You do not need a cage but how do you achieve a realistic state of combat if simple leg kicks are deemed wrong?

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 5:31am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    . After all, not everyone wants to learn martial arts in an unairconditioned, concrete floor facility in which you are asked to put 10-20 pound weights on each ankle and then do 360 consecutive kicks followed by the same routine without weights. If it seems "cultish" it is because there are very few people willing to subject themselves to the rigor of the training.
    Excuse me, but what would be the point of doing this in a combat art? The kick described is useless in anything but a Hollywood fight scene. Also, physically dangerous and very likely in cause major injuries.

Thus, such training is not a useful pressure test (and certainly not proof of hard core training), but some sort of "my dick is longer than yours because I can do this pointless strength thing more than you can" ego-boo bullshit.

Please note, I come from a school where 350 sit ups is a light warm up.

This statement is pointless without comparisons. I pay $200 a month Canadian for unlimited classes in multiple arts. This is expensive in many ways, but not expensive to me. My school has 4 levels of fees under that to accomodate people.

So, please provide some numbers to support your assertion.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 5:38am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and "Persian Martial Arts" would involve training in horse archery tactics and the hand held simple spear.

And also, how to die in great numbers cause you were conscripted slave soldiers from the allied satrapies absorbed economically over a few decades.

Claiming this kung fu as Persian cause a Persian developed it is like saying Kali is an Irish/Scottish martial art cause I do it and can teach it a little
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast