Page 12 of 13 First ... 28910111213 Last
  1. #111

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    8,750
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Noooooo!! There is nothing more confusing than being pwned with class, grace and skill by children who outweigh me and have trained since they were out of diapers.

    You've done good Pandy :p
    Thanks Lily! :) Damn, I took over this thread, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

  2. #112
    tao.jonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,054
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Dude, all that oil is going to make him pretty slippery.

    But if we're talking strength, I think a year of powerlifting/strongman/olympic lifting would be better.
    Slippery...I forgot about that. And yes, powerlifting would be better but my point remains. While strength can amplify technique, training exclusively for strength does not make a better fighter.

    It's my opinion that for fighting increasing skills > increasing strength. I wouldn't say it to your face though.

  3. #113
    Emevas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Minot AFB, ND
    Posts
    6,788
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Slippery...I forgot about that. And yes, powerlifting would be better but my point remains. While strength can amplify technique, training exclusively for strength does not make a better fighter.

    It's my opinion that for fighting increasing skills > increasing strength. I wouldn't say it to your face though.

    I just hope you don't think I'm my avatar.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

  4. #114
    Kintanon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    5,682
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Emevas is WAY bigger than that scrawny guy in his Avatar. Mario Pudrucker or something like that. He's just some random weight lifter dude Emevas was making fun of at the gym and snapped that photo of.
    Emevas also eats olympic power lifters before every workout to fuel his mighty muscles.

    But on topic for this thread, Friday night in No-Gi I was rolling with one of our 3ish month noobs who is about 6'0 and about 240 or so. He was victimized by repeated triangles, armbars, and sweeps. So, 3months is not enough for the size and strength to overcome the skill advantage. We'll check back again in 3 more months.

  5. #115
    tao.jonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,054
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I just hope you don't think I'm my avatar.
    Nah - I just don't want to drive all the way to an Air Force base just to get my ass kicked. I'm thinking you're more the size of this guy:

  6. #116
    Emevas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Minot AFB, ND
    Posts
    6,788
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Yeah, Emevas is WAY bigger than that scrawny guy in his Avatar. Mario Pudrucker or something like that. He's just some random weight lifter dude Emevas was making fun of at the gym and snapped that photo of.
    Emevas also eats olympic power lifters before every workout to fuel his mighty muscles.
    I can't tell if all the mistakes in this post are intentional or not, haha.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

  7. #117
    Emevas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Minot AFB, ND
    Posts
    6,788
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Nah - I just don't want to drive all the way to an Air Force base just to get my ass kicked. I'm thinking you're more the size of this guy:

    A little stockier, just because I've put on weight and my camera's aspect ratio is fucked up, making people think I'm 6'2 instead of 5'9, haha. I need to take new photos.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

  8. #118
    tao.jonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,054
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    But on topic for this thread, Friday night in No-Gi I was rolling with one of our 3ish month noobs who is about 6'0 and about 240 or so. He was victimized by repeated triangles, armbars, and sweeps. So, 3months is not enough for the size and strength to overcome the skill advantage. We'll check back again in 3 more months.
    What's the size differential between you and him?

  9. #119
    Kintanon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    5,682
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    What's the size differential between you and him?
    I had assumed it was common knowledge around here that I am 5'7" and 140lbs.
    I bench about 145 max right now, I squat around 200 Ass to Grass, I deadlift 270, my overhead press is about 95lbs.

    So I'm small, and weak.

  10. #120
    tao.jonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,054
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I had assumed it was common knowledge around here that I am 5'7" and 140lbs.
    I bench about 145 max right now, I squat around 200 Ass to Grass, I deadlift 270, my overhead press is about 95lbs.
    So your avatar is actually you?

    I just hadn't ever seen your stats before.

Page 12 of 13 First ... 28910111213 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO