POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 7:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    Hey man, lets keep this thread clean, OK? Jeez, it's always about sex with you...

p.s. Tell us more about these big guys you 'slam' :waraya :icon_geek
    it doesn't happen all that often, it starts with eye contact, then we speak. From there I turn on the charm and hope that they'll invite me in for coffee
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 7:30pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosJesena View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong (BJJ whitebelt here), but isn't it the case that if you do the sweep correctly, the guy can't really do much to stop it no matter how big he is? I mean, I've swept bigger guys with that simple half-guard foot pull sweep without really having to exert a lot of strength

Yeah, thats my point. Seeing as though the guy is several ranks higher than me he should be able to use minimal strength to sweep me, its not like I haven't had it done to me before. Technique is the key, not strength or weight. When I pull off a sweep against rank noobs it feels effortless because I have used good technique, such as trapping their arm and leg, not because I'm some crazy agile player. I know I'm not doing it right if I'm straining.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    3/22/2010 9:26am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One major frustration (for me anyway) is that the big strong guys can use strength instead of technique in certain situations. Subs that I would defend from a guy my size I am more likely to tap to when rolling with a bigger, stronger partner.

e.g. A poorly executed RNC can be a painful face-smashing neck crank when a strong jackass does it. Maintaining top control is tough too, when a guy can grab you and "bench press" you right off him.

It changes my game, but I think it's a good idea to roll with the guys who tend toward strength-based grapplez.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/22/2010 9:59am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Under some circumstances strength and technique are equal
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    3/22/2010 10:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    Under some circumstances strength and technique are equal
    The results can be the same at any rate.

In most cases though, improving technique will yield better results than increasing strength alone.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/22/2010 10:38am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    The results can be the same at any rate.

In most cases though, improving technique will yield better results than increasing strength alone.
    Yeah to count the strength difference must be overwhelming
    Spoiler:

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    3/22/2010 11:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be clear, I'm not discounting strength or size. As I mentioned, strength can be substituted for technique, and certainly amplilfies ones skills.

That said, in general I struggle more with a 175 lb BJJ purple belt than I do a 210 lb noob. I think that the 225er would be a more challenging opponent after a year of BJJ training than a year of bodybuilding though.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/23/2010 1:43am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    To be clear, I'm not discounting strength or size. As I mentioned, strength can be substituted for technique, and certainly amplilfies ones skills.

That said, in general I struggle more with a 175 lb BJJ purple belt than I do a 210 lb noob. I think that the 225er would be a more challenging opponent after a year of BJJ training than a year of bodybuilding though.
    Dude, all that oil is going to make him pretty slippery.

But if we're talking strength, I think a year of powerlifting/strongman/olympic lifting would be better.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/23/2010 4:10am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Woah dude! I thought your son was like 4 at the Mega in 2007. You have a 200lb 7 year old?!
    hahaha, nah I have a 200lbs 6'1" 15 year old. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/23/2010 4:17am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    Can we have your son fight Rudy? That would be so epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom .C View Post
    That wouldn't be fair. His son has too much experience.
    I've never given him a submission since he's started training at 10 in BJJ. Now he's a dirty HS wrestler with subs, and got me in an Oma Plata a few weekends ago.

I have high hopes for him, and he wants to fight MMA soon as he can. I'm starting him in Muay Thai when he turns 16.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213 LastLast