Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Martial Arts similar to Krav Maga & Systema

Hi im new to this forum (obviously) I want to learn something like Krav Maga or system. I live in Bolton UK and il i can find anywhere near here are Thai Boxing and Karate clubs. I have done a 4 hour intensive course of Krav Maga and really enjoyed it as it was fun and a good workout. Does anyone know any martial arts that are as practical and useful as they are?

Cheers

Style
    MMA, Yoga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For something just as practical and useful as Systema and Krav Maga, try Aikido.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazl1212 View Post
    Hi im new to this forum (obviously) I want to learn something like Krav Maga or system. I live in Bolton UK and il i can find anywhere near here are Thai Boxing and Karate clubs. I have done a 4 hour intensive course of Krav Maga and really enjoyed it as it was fun and a good workout. Does anyone know any martial arts that are as practical and useful as they are?

Cheers
    Welcome to Bullshido.

If you're looking for practical and useful you've already mentioned it; Muay Thai is the way to go. I'd recommend rocking up to the Thai Boxing gym and giving it a shot, you just may like it.

What is it specifically about Krav Maga or Systema that appeals to you?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want something thats going to be practical in a street fight if one comes my way. Not that Im interested in fighting someone but obviously if have to it would be handy to be able to. I also want to get fit I do go to the gym but I only lift weights. I like the fact with Krav It was only based on how to best defend yourself and the was no grading or Kata or anything like that. The thing with Thai boxing around here is it seems to attract a lot of the undesirables and morons

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want something thats going to be practical in a street fight if one comes my way. Not that Im interested in fighting someone but obviously if have to it would be handy to be able to. I also want to get fit I do go to the gym but I only lift weights.
    Sounds like a perfect description of the benefits of Muay Thai to me.

The thing with Thai boxing around here is it seems to attract a lot of the undesirables and morons
    Question: Have you ever been to the Muay Thai class? Kickboxers have a bad reputation where I live, in fact a long time ago I was at a class, a Krav Maga class coincidentally, where the instructor said that Kickboxers were violent and went out looking for fights. Not knowing any better I just knew that to be the case.

Years late I actually went to a Kickboxing gym and found those huge, muscular, tattooed guys to be some of the nicest people I've ever met.

These days I love Boxing, and I'm often explaining to people who don't know better that the vast majority of Boxers aren't savage monsters, that they're ordinary people who are more often that not very nice.

Style
    Weightlifting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want something thats going to be practical in a street fight if one comes my way. Not that Im interested in fighting someone but obviously if have to it would be handy to be able to. I also want to get fit I do go to the gym but I only lift weights. I like the fact with Krav It was only based on how to best defend yourself and the was no grading or Kata or anything like that. The thing with Thai boxing around here is it seems to attract a lot of the undesirables and morons
    What is so undesirable and moronic about them? How many times have you trained in a Thai boxing gym? How many Thai boxers have you met?

Thai boxing will get you insanley fit, make you be able to defend your self in a practical way and on teh streetz, has no kata and no grading system.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quite a few times actually to be fair the stereotypical wannabe hard men and chav's dont get me wrong they were not all like that but enough to put me off going. Maybe I just happened to go to a few bad gyms. Thats why i am posting on here for advice. So thanks for the input so far

Style
    Weightlifting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Solvalou View Post

Years late I actually went to a Kickboxing gym and found those huge, muscular, tattooed guys to be some of the nicest people I've ever met.
    Theres a local news paper article reccently about a kickboxer from a local gym fighting for the WAKO title or something, there was pictures of him and some of his trainers/students and i have to say they all had shaved heads, tattoos, boxers noses, cauliflower ear and most in tank tops and looked in good shape.

Made me lol because every time you see the local Karateka (All shotokan guys) in the paper there usually young skinny kids who couldn't fight to save there life or out of shape men, all with black belts and in the paper because they won some competition (mostly for kata)

True story, but ive totally forgotten the point i was trying to make

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahaha not sure what the point is but I can see what you may of been trying to get at

Style
    Weightlifting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quite a few times actually to be fair the stereotypical wannabe hard men and chav's dont get me wrong they were not all like that but enough to put me off going. Maybe I just happened to go to a few bad gyms. Thats why i am posting on here for advice. So thanks for the input so far
    Stereotypical hard men and chavs are who your porbably going to be fighting on the streets, bars/pubs/clubs, dark alleys, tesco specially with the christmas shopping and people losing there minds over **** they dont need

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last