Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 2:07pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainthamish View Post
    Are you retarded?

Because your little JKD bum bandits cant execute a basic striking technique than the concept is flawed?

Its called a 'lead' because it is thrown without a set up punch, ie jab. Basicly a straight power punch, right or left hand depending on the boxer. Fake the jab, smash the straight.

It is utlized heavily by orthodox's when fighting southies.

Now you may return to your Bruce Lee circle jerk.
    You misunderstand so much I'm not sure I should even respond.

The straight lead in the context of this discussion is a very specific punch, thrown with the lead hand - the one nearest your opponent. If you understood the fundamentals of this discussion you'd appreciate it more but you clearly don't.

I didn't say the straight lead doesn't work, nor that they couldn't perform it correctly. I clarified and stated that it doesn't consistently work as intended - which is a KO punch.

Kindly stick to subjects and threads that you have some notion of what the **** is being discussed. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 2:12pm

Style: Boxing/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    You misunderstand so much I'm not sure I should even respond.

The straight lead in the context of this discussion is a very specific punch, thrown with the lead hand - the one nearest your opponent. If you understood the fundamentals of this discussion you'd appreciate it more but you clearly don't.

I didn't say the straight lead doesn't work, nor that they couldn't perform it correctly. I clarified and stated that it doesn't consistently work as intended - which is a KO punch.

Kindly stick to subjects and threads that you have some notion of what the **** is being discussed. Thanks.

power for a straight lead ko punch is supposed to be generated by punching while being airborne by a centimeter or so. wich I don't quite get. Anyway I've put it to the test and pushing off doesn't seem to give much power generation compared to a standard boxing jab.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 2:16pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osaka peach View Post
    power for a straight lead ko punch is supposed to be generated by punching while being airborne by a centimeter or so. wich I don't quite get. Anyway I've put it to the test and pushing off doesn't seem to give much power generation compared to a standard boxing jab.
    Which is why I don't like Teri Tom's book or the entire concept of the straight lead. The only power shots I see consistently effective from a strong hand lead are hook variations and uppercuts. Otherwise it's not much more than a nice jab.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 2:23pm

Style: Boxing/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which is why I don't like Teri Tom's book or the entire concept of the straight lead. The only power shots I see consistently effective from a strong hand lead are hook variations and uppercuts. Otherwise it's not much more than a nice jab.
    I think the problem with Tom's book is that she justifies all this stuff with a chapter on biophysics but in the end it falls short. I wonder how she could never see that while working with Manny Pacquiao and Amir Khan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 9:55pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless my basic reading comprehension failed miserably, this was the fundameltals of this discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by battusai View Post
    Should I stick with the plan and go to JKD? (which is located about an hour or an hour and a half away)

Or take boxing? (one bus ride).
    Which was then sodomised on page 5 with this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Martin25 View Post
    Boxing is great but in old school JKD we do it strong side forward not as most do with the weak side up front.Its different and makes a difference to the power etc.
    Which in turn changed the course of the thread from 'JKD and Boxing' to 'JKD vs Boxing'.

The thread then became more power style specific starting from this:

Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    How many boxers actually try using their power side forward? Whether or not it's a better setup, I suspect precious few have ever experimented with it.
    Which then took the thread into the Bruce Lee knicker drawer when you posted this:

Allegedly the "Straight Lead" is meant to be a KO punch. I've worked with folks from the Ted Wong school as well as the Inosanto school of JKD and have never seen anyone who could deliver a true power punch with that shot.

Rear hand and leg is used, but the whole idea is to set up this mystical killer punch that nobody can actually do.
    Which to the lamen reader, refers to the inadequacies of a 'Straight Lead'. Based solely on the inabitlities of JKD practioners to execute a standard and precise combat strike.

Thats not entirely true my little JKD penis detacher. Your original comment on the 'Straight Lead' was post #62, which you then corrected in post #65, included below:

srsly - I should have said "nobody can do consistently" or "none of the JKD practicioners with whom I have trained can demonstrate".
    I think I understand perfectly well what is being discussed in this thread.

If you wish to gain a little more understanding of the original Intention of Bruce Lee's decision to make 'Straight Lead' punching a fundamental basis of JKD striking, then I suggest you watch some Jack Dempsey fight footage. Because thats what Bruce did.

Oh, just so we are clear Jack Dempsey being the American boxer who held the Heavyweight Title for several years and is rated by Rings Magazine as the seventh greatest Puncher of all time.

So in conclusion, I think it is YOU that needs to:

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678