Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 12:08pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing is very important to good striking, I'd say go for that.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 12:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am greatful to have had JKD as my first MA, but only because I got the basics of boxing there.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 12:46pm

Style: Boxing/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battusai View Post
    So, some of you might remember the thread I made about five months ago stating that I took a leave from the chun and was looking for a new discipline. Then came on the topic of JKD and this site: http://creativefightersguild.com/aboutjkd.html

...or not.

Anyways, basketball season came and an unexpected turn of events made sure that MA would be out of my juvenile life for a bit. Now, it's almost summer and I have more time for kickin' ass. Then...

BOOM BOOM POW...another unexpected turn of events.

I found out that my friend's brother is an instructor/something at a boxing gym. My other friend wants to take boxing with me and I think that it could become something great.

Should I stick with the plan and go to JKD? (which is located about an hour or an hour and a half away)

Or take boxing? (one bus ride)

And I want to hear your opinions about the difference between the two; strengths and weaknesses against each other, etc. (especially about kicking)

Oh, and mods can move this to the YMAS section if they find it appropriate.

Well boxing and JKD are close relative, as they are mostly similar in their punches, weaving, evasion and footwork. The main difference is the lead JKD punch wich is a fencer's lunge without a sword while the jab is more conservative and not an end in itself. In the Ted Wong JKD branch, they generate power by way of a "push off" for straight punches, wich is pretty damned weird and I personnaly find it quite useless. (you actually have to land your punch while you're airborne by about a centimeter, pretty hard to explain) The JKD stance is extremely narrow, wich will make you a very defensive-themed fighter and can be useful if you're fighting from a distance. Boxing stance is a lot wider, so you'll be more versatile in close distance and a lot less vulnerable to takedowns and more readily able to sprawl should you need too. Wing chun elements are pretty much inexistant in the Ted Wong branch. As for kicking, well you've got a side kick and hook kicks mainly, so if you really like kicking then you should go for JKD. Personaly, kicking isn't my cup of tea for it makes me feel vulnerable to heavy counters and takedowns, but if you like it then go for JKD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 1:43pm

Style: TKD/ TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Build a good foundation in boxing first. Then, if you choose to do so, you can add another MA into your routine later on, some suggestions there would be BJJ or Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 1:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by twisted mind View Post
    Build a good foundation in boxing first. Then, if you choose to do so, you can add another MA into your routine later on, some suggestions there would be BJJ or Judo.
    I plan to begin training some grappling this spring, and I can't decide to take judo or wrestling. Seems to me wrestling would be a bit better cause there would not be any time lost with belts and honor stuff but then again I don't know a thing about eiter art

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osaka peach View Post
    In the Ted Wong JKD branch, they generate power by way of a "push off" for straight punches, wich is pretty damned weird and I personnaly find it quite useless. (you actually have to land your punch while you're airborne by about a centimeter, pretty hard to explain)
    Odds are he's talking about Inosanto branch.

The JKD stance is extremely narrow, wich will make you a very defensive-themed fighter and can be useful if you're fighting from a distance. Boxing stance is a lot wider, so you'll be more versatile in close distance and a lot less vulnerable to takedowns and more readily able to sprawl should you need too. Wing chun elements are pretty much inexistant in the Ted Wong branch. As for kicking, well you've got a side kick and hook kicks mainly, so if you really like kicking then you should go for JKD. Personaly, kicking isn't my cup of tea for it makes me feel vulnerable to heavy counters and takedowns, but if you like it then go for JKD.
    The classical(!) JKD stance has too much weight on the lead leg. Murder when faced with a Thaiboxer.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 2:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    Odds are he's talking about Inosanto branch.

The classical(!) JKD stance has too much weight on the lead leg. Murder when faced with a Thaiboxer.
    Honestly I've found myself moving away a bit from JKD during the past month, I've put the push off stuff to the test to see if it did generate more power and it doesn't. The stance really kills me too, it's so damned narrow. I like my stance square-like, staying on the balls of the feet with both heels raised and bouncing around and planting only when punching. For some mysterious reason, Bruce Lee wasn't impressed by muay thai.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 2:40pm

Style: Judo/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    boxing is so underrated, it starts to nerve me !!
    do boxing battusai then add to that some sort of grappling, preferably judo, bjj or SAMBO then you will be really hard to beat.
    so do boxing.
    JKD? might be fun but having boxed now will make you a better JKD guy, if you wish to take that road in the future.
    did I say do boxing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 2:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by reindo View Post
    boxing is so underrated, it starts to nerve me !!
    do boxing battusai then add to that some sort of grappling, preferably judo, bjj or SAMBO then you will be really hard to beat.
    so do boxing.
    JKD? might be fun but having boxed now will make you a better JKD guy, if you wish to take that road in the future.
    did I say do boxing?
    boxing! :qcheerlea

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 3:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do Boxing then thank us later.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast