Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 10:39pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    learning to use irons is important. however once you have the basics of using them RDS (red dot sights) dramatically decrease your time on hits and follow up shots, as long as it maintains it's zero.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 11:46pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We all agree that iron sights are important. However, I'm with Mad_Malk on this very important issue. Close range shooting, and follow up shots are much easier with a RDS. Not that it can't be done with just iron sights, because it can. An RDS makes CQB much easier.

And I understand that the batteries might die, and if it does, I will probably just point shoot anyway. No time for iron sights when the bad guy pops out from around the corner.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 5:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DepGW View Post
    Hey HJ - I'm going to give you some bad advice, so take it with a grain of salt.

First, I just want everyone to know that I run an EOTECH on my M4. With that said, I recently bought a S&W AR15-22. Now, I wanted to keep with a red dot sight, so I got a Tasco Red Dot at Wal-Mart. It was only $30 bucks, and I must say, that I kinda like it. It holds a zero, and seems to be fairly tough. I have had it out running and gunning, and it does what I want.

Now, I'm not saying that a Tasco Red Dot is THE way to go, it's just A way to go. Would I bet my life on it? No. Would I bet my life on the EOTECH. No. Would I bet my life on iron sights? Maybe.

Hope that helps.
    Here's the interesting thing, I think this is good advice but not for the reasons others may think. Sometimes, it's good to go a little bit cheap if you can decide on what the best product is. It can cost a little more up front but save you a lot in the long run.

The reason being, right now, you may not know what you may or may not like. If you can find something of reasonably good quality for cheap then even if you don't like it, you at least know WHY you don't like it and can better shop around for what you DO like.

Sometimes, you need a failed investment in order to truly understand and appreciate a good investment.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 7:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to be accurate at longer ranges, and you're not sure what you need, may I make a suggestion? Borrow a 10/22 or get some ammo for your M4 clone and shoot an Appleseed event. That will be cheap and easy to get to--it's like the basic Judo of the rifle world. It will not teach you much about running the gun while moving, use of cover, concealment, or anything at ranges shorter than 100 yards (you will shoot at short ranges, but with very small targets calibrated to show you a sight picture from much farther out.)

You *will* learn about stance, grip, cheek weld, sight picture, how to adjust U.S. military style iron sights (but they'll help you run any gun and sight combination you show up with or borrow) how to find Natural Point of Aim, how to use a sling as a shooting aid, and a bunch more plus some Revolutionary War history. It's a lot of fun, it's cheap, and you learn a lot in a short time unless you're an experienced high-power rifle competitor. And you get the basics.

Specifically, in your situation, you get a realistic idea of what you're currently capable of with the sights you bring to the event. I used iron sights on an AR15 at my first Appleseed and found that I literally could not see the 400-yd targets. My eyes just aren't what they used to be. So if I want to hit at those distances, I know I need something with some magnification, at least 2-3X.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 7:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my old man has a restored '03 springfield. i love that rifle. the iron sights are all i need with it.

go iron sights if it's at all possible. however, cassius is right. shitty fundamentals are shitty fundamentals no matter what you're shooting through.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 10:23pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EOTech for room clearing/MOUT/CQC/CQB and ACOG for rural patrols.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 9:41am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    Aimpoint for room clearing/MOUT/CQC/CQB and ACOG for rural patrols.
    fixed it for you since the US military has stopped issueing EoTechs. Something about a 20% failure rate.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 10:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    That is some cool stuff. A friend just recently told me about it and I've been shopping for a 10/22 to go try it out.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 11:10am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_malk View Post
    fixed it for you since the US military has stopped issueing EoTechs. Something about a 20% failure rate.
    Hadn't heard that. We still have 'em in our inventory.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast