Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 8:10pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lasers, scopes or iron sights... what do you prefer/recommend?

Ok so I know exactly squat about scopes, red dots, tactical lasers or really any sighting stuff. I have been playing with the idea of taking the money I had begun setting aside for the next gun and put it towards something sight related for the existing lot since they are all stock. I currently have an Enfield No.4 Mk1, a Colt M4 and just got my GSG 5 SD(.22lr mp5 clone). Now I was hoping against hope that I would be able to get some sort of sighting set up that could transfer between the M4 and the GSG. Showing my newbness with these things I was figuring if I had a red dot or scope that would fit on both guns mounting rails then it would be a simple case of knowing how many turns of what knob which way when moving between guns. Is this idiotic or at all realistic? Also I am curious about tactical laser sights that usually go under the barrel on the hand guards. Are these any better than the red/green dot scope/sights or is it more novelty than function? I have no clue about the Enfield. It looks like the mounting rails for the M4 and the GSG are easy enough to get on, but would I have to get an actual gunsmith to mount a scope properly on the Enfield? I don't hunt so it is more a novelty than necessity but it is my survival gun in the nightstand. Should I man up and just go iron sights for the Enfield and kit up the other two?

For scopes/red dot sights, is there a big price to performance difference? Just looking it appears that you can get pretty cheap around $50-$60 for some stuff. Is that typically just low end crap or are you just not "paying for advertising"? Right now my budget is at about a max of $100.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 8:20pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try looking for the http://www.aimpoint.com/products/aim...oint_micro_h-1

used if your looking for a RDS that will hold a zero. Aimpoint also subcontracted there civilian models to some one else there cheaper or so i hear.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 11:21pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say iron sights. There's lots of fancy optics available nowadays but they're very expensive, but at the same time lack of fancy optics didn't seem to stop people from having extraordinary skill and ability with firearms historically before said optics existed. Iron sights are all you need...save the money for more ammo!
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 11:37pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HJ,

Your Enfield would need to be drilled and tapped to mount a scope. There may be aftermarket types out there to fit, but then they probably won't fit the rest of your armory.

You won't be able to automatically turn the knobs to get back on zero after replacing. You also need to consider what type mounts you're going to use.

I'd recommend you don't spend an exorbitant amount on a scope at this point. Perhaps something in 4x. Especially for the .22 use.

You say it's your survival gun at the night stand. Sounds like iron sights are OK and possibly preferable.

Thrown a lot at you. Others will be with you shortly :-)

Now if you want to go with iron sights, the rear peep aperature is where you want to be. Especially if you're apt to be shooting at a moving target.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 11:52pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    on a hunting rifle you want a scope. on a multi-purpose rifle you might want iron sights, just for the shooting practice and the low maint.

on a pistol? I like a light.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    3/16/2010 11:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep your vintage rifles stock. Don;t Bubba a piece of history. JMHO, but it's one shared by many firearms enthusiasts.

As for your modern weapons, go for modern scopes!

A red dot would be perfectly suitable for both your M4 and GSG5. You get what you pay for, so save up the money for an Aimpoint or a Trijicon. They are both in service with our armed forces, they hold zero and continue to function under punishment. Kalinka Optics is a cheaper option, but "caveat emptor" as the Russians are not particularly know for tight QC when it comes to electronics. Chinese red dots are to be avoided. They just are not up to snuff. They don't hold zero, poorly illuminate the dot, have a shity battery life, and they break often. Every one I know who bought chinese, quickly turned to Aimpoint or Trijicon. Kalinka has a similar rep to Taurus. They are cheap, people buy them, some are happy.

As for long range scopes. If you have a nice long range rifle, then by all means, spend the cheddar on a fine piece of glass. But don't drill and tap a WWII antique to do it. That's just Bubba.

A long range scope would not be a terrible thing to put on your M4. It's a carbine, but a very accurate one. So taking the 400-500 yard shots wouldn't be totally beyond belief. Putting one on the GSG though would just be silly. That's why I recommended the red dot if you're switching between the two. Also keep in mind that you will have to re-zero each time you switch the scope over.

Also, back up iron sights are something you will want on both the M4 and the GSG. It's always good to have a backup!

Shoot safe bro!

Posted On:
    3/16/2010 11:19am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It really boils down to what you envision your engagement range and circumstances will be. The tool needs to fit the need.

What is the engagement envelope you envision (how close-how far). What sort of circumstances? Home defense, zombie invasion, long range hunting, 3-gun competitions, etc.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/16/2010 11:25am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever happened to point and shoot?

What kind of terrain is "home"?

Ever heard of target aquisition?

Posted On:
    3/16/2010 11:38am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be an expert with irons, use technology for convenience.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/16/2010 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed. While $500-1200. optics/red dots are nice, nothing beats a good sling, a good light, and a good set of iron sights on your weapon. Everything after that is pure gravy.

After you've done THAT...then consider..."What can I afford?"

If you have $500-600., consider an EoTech, Aimpoint CompM2, or maybe a T1. They're roughly all in that price range...some cheaper or slightly more expensive.

If you have more money...you might consider an ACOG or a Spectre DR. If you have significantly less, perhaps a Bushnell Trophy (ACOG-looking ripoff) or a Lucid.

Good luck with whatever you do...but don't get in the habit of trying to "share sights" between weapon systems. It never works out well.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast