Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Can you really learn Kung-Fu from DVD'S?

I see Kung Fu and other Martial Art DVD'S and books everywhere online.

I have typed this question in to internest search engines as well as martial art forum serach engines. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Style
    Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, you cannot learn gongfu from DVDs. Watching people do their forms can be illuminating, and it's fun to compare and contrast how this person from Lineage A does a form versus that person from Lineage B, but as far as developing any skill with DVD, no.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live just North of Austin, TX and am looking for Kung Fu kind of close to me and found this site. The closest school is the 8000s.f. Shaolin-Do! Haha. There are some really good 7 star schools here but they are so far in to S. Austin, they might as well be in El Paso. I kind of figured DVD training was wishful thinking. Thanks for the response.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it is not a good idea to learn from dvds.
    Last edited by pmosiun; 3/15/2010 5:33am at .

Style
    BJJ/MT/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure you can learn KF from DVDs if you are going for a style that cannot or does not fight/spar. You can learn all sorts of fancy impressive movements.

If you want to learn how to fight with Kung Fu, then DVDs aren't going to help.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, it worked for keanu reeves.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah the most you could learn is the forms and even then not the nuances in the forms because of the two dimensional aspect.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a San Da guy that's well respected in Austin, north Austin if I'm not mistaken. I can't remember his name, but I know BS member EmetShamash took a few classes from him. I'll PM Emet with a link to this thread. Haven't seen him around here for a while though.

If I'm not mistaken, there is another guy who occasionally posts here under the username csc, who is a CMA teacher in Austin. I can't remember if he has a good reputation though. I'll try to find out and get back to this thread with the results.

Style
    Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedtaco View Post
    Sure you can learn KF from DVDs if you are going for a style that cannot or does not fight/spar. You can learn all sorts of fancy impressive movements.
    Actually, you can't even do that! People who try end up looking silly, not fancy or impressive. Anyway, to the OP. Here ya go!

http://www.combatshuaichiao.com/acsca.html
    John Wang! He'll put you through his deck.

Oops, crossposted. John Wang IS the guy Emet took some classes from and is csc. (He posts more often in Emptyflower and Rum Soaked Fist.) In Chinese wrestling circles, his rep is excellent.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you define "Kung Fu" as a set of skills that has nothing to do with fighting, then sure, you can learn "Kung Fu" from a DVD.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last