Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 11:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Machida does not fight in a karate way so in reality traditional martial arts don't come into it, he throws shapes in a karate stance etc but his real fighting is basic boxing and muay thai in the middle of his pretending to be a karate fighter, the man is extensivley trained in BJJ, Boxing, Thai and even Wrestling-the stance that he uses when just dancing is taken from karate and just a way of pretending his da made him..."

Would other karateka agree?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 12:38pm

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    "Machida does not fight in a karate way so in reality traditional martial arts don't come into it, he throws shapes in a karate stance etc but his real fighting is basic boxing and muay thai in the middle of his pretending to be a karate fighter, the man is extensivley trained in BJJ, Boxing, Thai and even Wrestling-the stance that he uses when just dancing is taken from karate and just a way of pretending his da made him..."

Would other karateka agree?
    Definitely not. For ground fighting of course, but for stand-up its not only the stance.

His kicks,punches and sweeps are just like in shotokan.When he is in shotokan stance i mean.

He IS using boxing and MT techniques too thats for sure. But I cannot see anything wrong with adapting some moves into shotokan to be honest.

Seems like this comes from a guy who only watched machida in some Machida highlight videos or something and dont have any shotokan knowledge at all.

12th level logic wielder

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 4:23pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    I think this postulating is all a bit ridiculous. Machida, while very talented, is no muscle bound Brock Lesnar, doesn't hit insanely hard, nor does he have an incredibly flashy style reliant on limb length or anything. His skill is based around technique and repetition, and while uniquely adapted, is hardly beyond mimicry. His brother fights almost exactly the same way, and there is no real reason to think that any one of us couldn't learn to fight this way within a similar time frame used to learn boxing, MT, or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    ^^ Truth right there

This whole 'Machida is an inhuman genetic monster' meme is just reflexive denial that any point-sparring kata-bunny could possibly have effective fighting skills.
    Well, not just that. Until other people do fight that way, we canít really tell how well other people would do with it. Hell, if I wanted to do a very literal take on the above, his brother isnít a good argument simply because they share 50% of their genes and so could both be genetic monstersÖ More seriously, probably both of them were brought up training their karate similarly from a very young age, and if so, then thereís no counterexample in that family to show that it can be done to that degree without the proverbial lifetime of training.

Mind you, I donít think itís extremely improbable that it can be generalised, but unless it has/until it does (and someone with the same genetic and training background doesnít count), I think itís fair to reserve judgement (and uncontroversial to regard it as anomalous).

That said, I hope somebody does, because I enjoy watching that kind of unusual (in MMA) style but canít idolise a pee drinker.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: ďdonít go to the groundĒ? ]
    ďThe plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 5:10am

Style: Muay Thai, Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    One thing I found interesting was he demonstrated one or two non-spinning hook kick techniques (pure modern Shotokan) and claimed it was effective in mma despite its rarity (note: he's yet to use it in a match and tbh I've never seen anyone use it in mma ever).

Now I use this kick and while you can hurt someone with it and it's incredibly deceptive....but I'm not a pro-mma fighter with a title and money on the line. I've always I felt like hook kick, isn't a technique for mma or real fighting. It's just begging to be taken down and/or have your back taken and you have to land well with the heel to do any damage.

I really want to be proven wrong, but I need to actually see him use it to very good effect in a match (not just get away with using one and scoring a meaningless hit) to trust him on this one.
    It might be possible. Andy Hug used a lot of axe kicks in his matches which are, at least for me, even harder to do and have the same decrease in strength.

On the other hand I still use the hook kick quite often in savate because the decrease in strength is less important than the elusiveness of it due to the shoes.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456