Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 5:39pm

Style: None ATM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    does he actually make this stuff work?
    I'm assuming this is a rhetorical question.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 5:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nnate
    I'm assuming this is a rhetorical question.
    not at all, this looks like what I used to have to do at karate gradings..jukumite? (I can't quite remember the name)

..basically it looks alot more difficult to pull off than say a standard sanda 1,2 double-leg
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 6:32pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not at all, this looks like what I used to have to do at karate gradings..jukumite? (I can't quite remember the name)

..basically it looks alot more difficult to pull off than say a standard sanda 1,2 double-leg

I've gotten some of it to work in sparring. . .

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 6:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    video?
    I don't want to be a prick but your style field does say books, so I'm inclined to think the worst

..that aside, I really don't see these being high percentage techniques. The takedown wasn't so bad, but a leg kick would have been easier and kept him in his comfort zone
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 6:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    does he actually make this stuff work?
    http://www.spladdle.com/2008/05/lyot...takedown-gifs/

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 7:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but the bigger question is if ANYone can make it work, or if it's something that only a whole life of training and conditioning can accomplish.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

jiyu kumite. iirc.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 7:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Ha. Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma
    but the bigger question is if ANYone can make it work, or if it's something that only a whole life of training and conditioning can accomplish.
    my sentiments exactly. It's pretty basic karate he's showing, and yet the UFC aint full of foot sweepin' karate guys.
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 9:13pm

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use karate kicks, punches, stance and sweeps almost all the time in my sparrings.And they work quite well.(And no i have no video, and no I m not saying I m kicking the sht out of people, I m just saying I use them and can have success)

Also I really really don't believe something like "only one person can do it". I don't think Lyoto is superhuman megazord or something. It is more about his training and his attitude towards MA's imo. (You can see that on his dvds he tells even when he was young he was trying to challenge other style guys and learn what they do)

And how do you expect that UFC will be full of karate guys so quick. Karate is already a point contact sport, almost all of the clubs have the wrong attitude against the sport, I think a karateka is a really really hard person to transition something like mma.

Also who would like to train "karate" ,get some karate guys to work with? Go ask Brock Lesnar if he wants to learn karate sweeps.

One last thing, its not easy to use all of those sweeps and stuff. I know I will be labeled as a bullshiter, however to use that kind of stance, to have that kind of balance and base, you HAVE TO train kata and kihon. I m not saying focus on it, but you also have to do this kind of training too.
    its very hard believe me, if you dont, just get a guy to spar with you for 30 mins and try to stand in that stance for that long. its very uncomfortable if you are not used to it you ll see.
    Last edited by Necroyunus; 3/15/2010 9:17pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 9:28pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karate is not that hard, using a low percentage technique like that in MMA is. And really do you think people are gonna go train Karate to learn something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    I use karate kicks, punches, stance and sweeps almost all the time in my sparrings.And they work quite well.(And no i have no video, and no I m not saying I m kicking the sht out of people, I m just saying I use them and can have success)

Also I really really don't believe something like "only one person can do it". I don't think Lyoto is superhuman megazord or something. It is more about his training and his attitude towards MA's imo. (You can see that on his dvds he tells even when he was young he was trying to challenge other style guys and learn what they do)

And how do you expect that UFC will be full of karate guys so quick. Karate is already a point contact sport, almost all of the clubs have the wrong attitude against the sport, I think a karateka is a really really hard person to transition something like mma.

Also who would like to train "karate" ,get some karate guys to work with? Go ask Brock Lesnar if he wants to learn karate sweeps.

One last thing, its not easy to use all of those sweeps and stuff. I know I will be labeled as a bullshiter, however to use that kind of stance, to have that kind of balance and base, you HAVE TO train kata and kihon. I m not saying focus on it, but you also have to do this kind of training too.
    its very hard believe me, if you dont, just get a guy to spar with you for 30 mins and try to stand in that stance for that long. its very uncomfortable if you are not used to it you ll see.
    I agree.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast