Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2010 2:31pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dealing with someone like this guy?

Some time ago I had a sparring session, Sanshou style, against this guy. I decided to keep to the basics and just work on feeling him out for the little time that I had to spar with him. I ended up defending and getting thrown around for most of the fight, and he almost caught me with a couple huge looping overhand rights.

Thing is I only got to feel him out for like a minute before everyone switched partners. :( In any case, I was wondering... how would you guys have tried to deal with this guy? He's got really fast hands, good kicks, tons of takedowns... In the one minute I got, all I figured out was that I should really be trying to counter those overhands.

Got a video for reference.

http://vimeo.com/10128849

He's the guy that has a black strap tied around his right bicep.

Thank you all in advance!
    Last edited by gallantknight; 3/14/2010 2:35pm at .

blotter art.

Posted On:
    3/14/2010 3:51pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's kinda hard to pick out weaknesses from a highlight video for obvious reasons. Also your description "He's got really fast hands, good kicks, tons of takedowns..." doesn't really give us much to go on. Also Russian san shou fighters are fucking scary. Have you seen that dude Salihov Muslim?

YouTube- THE BEST FIGHT OF SANSHOU: RUSSIA (MUSLIM) VS CHINA (Xu Jiaheng) round 2

In short, I don't think we are gonna be able to help you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2010 5:11pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    XFD. Yeah sorry about that man, best I could find on short notice. And yeah, this guy was taught by Muslim or trained with Muslim or something crazy along those lines.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    3/14/2010 6:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gallantknight View Post
    Some time ago I had a sparring session, Sanshou style, against this guy. I decided to keep to the basics and just work on feeling him out for the little time that I had to spar with him. I ended up defending and getting thrown around for most of the fight, and he almost caught me with a couple huge looping overhand rights.

Thing is I only got to feel him out for like a minute before everyone switched partners. :( In any case, I was wondering... how would you guys have tried to deal with this guy? He's got really fast hands, good kicks, tons of takedowns... In the one minute I got, all I figured out was that I should really be trying to counter those overhands.

Got a video for reference.

http://vimeo.com/10128849

He's the guy that has a black strap tied around his right bicep.

Thank you all in advance!
    Interesting fighter...

I had to look at the vid several times, the weakest part of his game is the boxing, but even that is still very, very good.
    The only chance you would have is pure English Boxing, fighting "inline", so upclose and personal and ferocious (Mike Tyson style), but even that would be a slim chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/14/2010 6:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    Interesting fighter...

I had to look at the vid several times, the weakest part of his game is the boxing, but even that is still very, very good.
    The only chance you would have is pure English Boxing, fighting "inline", so upclose and personal and ferocious (Mike Tyson style), but even that would be a slim chance.
    I could see this working. Try boxing up close but fight crouched, you have to get under him or he will get under you, and probably dump you on your head.
    ..boxing on the outside is a possibility, but tbh what he lacks in technical boxing he'll make up for with kicks so stay close.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/14/2010 6:46pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bait him from the outside, catch his teep, and do a rolling takedown with his leg. if that's legal in sambo.

and "sending a robot back in time to kill his mom" wasn't an option.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 8:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Barge in get bashed and treat it as a learning experience.
    Then target him to spar every chance you get try not to get flogged as badly each time.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 8:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see how that will help.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 8:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Barge in get bashed and treat it as a learning experience.
    Then target him to spar every chance you get try not to get flogged as badly each time.
    ihis is not YMAS, it's the advanced striking discussion forum...so it's moderated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 9:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really need to see a general sparring vid. Highlight vid shows none of his mistakes usually and I don't get a sense of how he sets things up or how often he throws what (does he *really* throw far more kicks than punches or are there more kicks because it makes for better highlight material), or even how he moves around.

I also don't know what your skill level is (I would like to be able to toss the judo bbs at my club, but, for the most part, it isn't happening no matter what tips I get) and I don't know what your toolbox is like.

I did like watching the video though, sanshou is a very cool ruleset and he's got an exiting style.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast