Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Boxing newb, HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How much experience does a MMA school require?

How much prior martial arts experience do MMA schools usually require before they'll accept you as a student? I recognize that there might not be hard rules for many, and that many might differ in their requirements, but are there any guidelines for how many years of experience would be required before one should even start applying to study MMA?

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I imagine none. Unless it is specifically a fighters gym. I am open to correction.

Best ask the instructor if they have a beginners class, they might have one, or a fundamentals class that requires attending several times before you get thrown in with the rest.

Style
    Boxing newb, HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I imagine none. Unless it is specifically a fighters gym. I am open to correction.

Best ask the instructor if they have a beginners class, they might have one, or a fundamentals class that requires attending several times before you get thrown in with the rest.
    What do you mean by a "fighter's gym"? My long term goal is to participate in an amateur MMA fight, and I'm looking for the best way to go about this. Given this, my two main concerns are that the school actually teaches martial arts with relevance to such, and that they're willing to accept me as a student. I'm worried that these might be contradictory requirements, and I'm looking to maximize my chances of actually being accepted by the school.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA was formerly a ruleset as opposed to a sport. Thanks to it's rise in popularity, you can now find MMA gyms. However, the sport is still in it's infancy and consequently, most MMA gyms are not concerned with prior MA experience as much as enrollment.

Just make sure a prospective gym has some members that actually fight in MMA, or you could wind up in a cardio kickbox class reconditioned to look like MMA. They are more than a few people out there looking to cash in on the craze that have no actual MMA experience.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My gym does not require any prior experience but you still have to try out for our fight team. You are required to obtain a level of adeptness in standing and grappling before trying out.

Style
    10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to chime in quickly, my gym would generally let you come and work out with the fight team pretty early on (after making sure you aren't a total tool), but they sure as hell wouldn't let you get anywhere near a MMA fight until you proved yourself competent. Any gym that would let you join the team and fight quickly (without a lot of prior experience) is a gym you should immediately run from.

Style
    MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't seen any that require prior experience locally.
    Like most have mentioned, MMA was a ruleset first, but look to make sure it's not the Cardio Kickboxing version (ie simply an exercise program).

Style
    Kickboxin & Shootfightin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure about everyone elses gyms but where i train?? you can start from scratch. Previous MA experience may even hinder you as far as some places are concerned,bad habits to break kinda stuff etc etc.

As for amateur fighting?? for my gym?? (even tho its currently only doing kickboxing for amateur comp) you have to attain a certain level of competency before you are allowed to fight,at a NOVICE level, then if you show you have some skill/ability then you may get taken aside and asked if you'd like to compete at a higher (amateur) level .If you want then you generally have to start training at the fight team sessions and show some dedication to that.Although,if you make it known thats what you want,its pretty much a given that you will be given the opportunity,eventually,to do so.

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Just make sure a prospective gym has some members that actually fight in MMA, or you could wind up in a cardio kickbox class reconditioned to look like MMA.
    Mom got me with this one back when I was a kid.

Mom: "Hey, Russ, you said something about wanting to try boxing? Well, the Y has kickboxing classes!"
    [later]
    Instructor: "Welcome to boxercise!"

The real pity is that my friend and I were the only guys in the whole class, but we were too young to appreciate this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    unless it's a gym that only trains people who are actively fighting ammy and pro fights, they probably just want to know that your health isn't an issue and your check wont bounce.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last