222407 Bullies, 4752 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 23
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. gregaquaman is online now
    gregaquaman's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,476

    Posted On:
    3/15/2010 9:59am


     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry. If he had a specific question or issue eg cannot escape a jab or gets caught with a leg kick etc then there would be specific advice that would help. My impression from the post is this guy is just alot better. There is no trick that will overcome that and the only answer is exposure.
  2. 13ringinheat is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    213

    Posted On:
    3/15/2010 12:11pm


     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree i thought that was pretty good advice. The way to get better is to spar people at a higher skill level than you and continue improving. The OP might just not be skilled enough to face such a competitor and any advice given might not be helpful at all. I really think a general sparring video of the OP and the guy in question would be most helpful this way we can see if there is a tremendous skill disparity between the two or there are certain things the OP needs to tweak to do better.
  3. gallantknight is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    163

    Posted On:
    3/15/2010 12:48pm


     Style: CMA/Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hm, well I don't think I'm as experienced as he is. I've been seriously training (by that, I mean in something legitimate) kickboxing since the beginning of Grade 11. So it's been around four years now. I did some BJJ for about a year, we roll in class sometimes now too.

    I tried to look for another video of him.

    YouTube- Breaking Point Mixed Martial Arts Promotional Video and Highlight Reel 3:03 is when his part starts. I don't know if it'll help. He has some videos on facebook but I don't know how I can make them viewable for you guys.

    Once I'm fully recovered from my exterior intercostals injury I'll see what I can do about upping a video. We might have to wait until the end of April when there is an in school competition, though. Perhaps I will even fight him again! =D

    And no, while I think he is better than me, I don't think it is an unsurmountable challenge. I don't really want to think about besting the guy right now, but my question was more focused on how to better deal with him. It's the little victories that count and I think all advice helps in this case -- I don't have the luxury of sparring with him whenever I want, after all. Otherwise, that is what I'd be doing. I love fighting people better than I am because like you said, it inspires me to try harder and does help me become better.

    Thank you for all your responses thus far!
  4. Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs is offline
    Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs's Avatar

    fist first Philosopher

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sanctuary of Pallas Athena (Belgium)
    Posts
    2,642

    Posted On:
    3/15/2010 4:24pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gallantknight View Post
    Hm, well I don't think I'm as experienced as he is. I've been seriously training (by that, I mean in something legitimate) kickboxing since the beginning of Grade 11. So it's been around four years now. I did some BJJ for about a year, we roll in class sometimes now too.

    I tried to look for another video of him.

    YouTube- Breaking Point Mixed Martial Arts Promotional Video and Highlight Reel 3:03 is when his part starts. I don't know if it'll help. He has some videos on facebook but I don't know how I can make them viewable for you guys.

    Once I'm fully recovered from my exterior intercostals injury I'll see what I can do about upping a video. We might have to wait until the end of April when there is an in school competition, though. Perhaps I will even fight him again! =D

    And no, while I think he is better than me, I don't think it is an unsurmountable challenge. I don't really want to think about besting the guy right now, but my question was more focused on how to better deal with him. It's the little victories that count and I think all advice helps in this case -- I don't have the luxury of sparring with him whenever I want, after all. Otherwise, that is what I'd be doing. I love fighting people better than I am because like you said, it inspires me to try harder and does help me become better.

    Thank you for all your responses thus far!
    Just like I expected, his boxing is indeed his weakest part and he has the bad habit to drop his hands when he kicks.
    Like I and MMAMickey said, English boxing, upclose and personal from a crouched position. If he tries to create distance, 45 up sidekick in the ribs and again sticking to him.
    Now it's easier said than done, be sure of that, but it's the only way you are going to have a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:
  5. quddha is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3

    Posted On:
    3/15/2010 11:15pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey man, how many fights do you have? (like in competition, not just sparring).

    And do you train Sanshou? Seriously training for 4 years, so you must be decent.

    I actually know Sabir, if you want to spar with him or any of our other fighters, just let me know, and I can arrange it. We're always looking for good sparring partners. :)
  6. gallantknight is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    163

    Posted On:
    3/15/2010 11:23pm


     Style: CMA/Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by quddha View Post
    Hey man, how many fights do you have? (like in competition, not just sparring).

    And do you train Sanshou? Seriously training for 4 years, so you must be decent.

    I actually know Sabir, if you want to spar with him or any of our other fighters, just let me know, and I can arrange it. We're always looking for good sparring partners. :)
    Haha you humor me man. Like I said, my serious training has just amounted to finally finding a legitimate school and working hard with it. As evidenced in my former posts I think I have a ways to go before I'd be capable of being a good opponent for Sabir, that's why I'm asking for advice! :)

    Thank you for your offer though, it's really nice of you to extend an opportunity like that. Training with people at Sabir's level could only be good a good experience. I will definitely talk to you once I feel more confident in my own abilities! I know Sabir works really hard though, so I'll need to work harder once I recover if I want to stand any chance at all.

    I was planning on breaking into the competition zone soon -- I want to do it after I move out from home and have gotten myself a bit more of a solid plan in life. It will definitely be a harsh transition, though.
  7. quddha is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3

    Posted On:
    3/15/2010 11:44pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gallantknight View Post
    I know Sabir works really hard though, so I'll need to work harder once I recover if I want to stand any chance at all.
    Best tip ever. And you already knew it.
  8. gallantknight is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    163

    Posted On:
    3/15/2010 11:46pm


     Style: CMA/Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    XFD which is why I'm starting by trying to analyze him while I cannot do any exercise whatsoever. :( Gotta try even when I'm down!

    But yes that is just a tiny bit redundant. Sorry about that, lol.
  9. Draven is offline
    Draven's Avatar

    ('._.)

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,755

    Posted On:
    3/16/2010 10:16am


     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing that confuses me is why are you trying to get a bunch of strangers to "analyze" and help you "beat" a guy that is supposed to be your TRAINING PARTNER. You are sparring with him to learn, to become better yourself, not to "beat" him.

    Why not ask him for tips?
  10. gallantknight is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    163

    Posted On:
    3/16/2010 10:20am


     Style: CMA/Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    One thing that confuses me is why are you trying to get a bunch of strangers to "analyze" and help you "beat" a guy that is supposed to be your TRAINING PARTNER. You are sparring with him to learn, to become better yourself, not to "beat" him.

    Why not ask him for tips?
    Two points, Draven.

    1) I want to learn how to better DEAL with someone like him. As I have stated in my former posts, I realize that I can't beat him -- that's a fairly lofty goal right now. It's the little victories that are important to me since that means I'm improving bit by bit and all advice can be useful.

    2) Also from my former posts, he is not one of my training partners. And while quddha kindly extended the offer to make that happen, I am currently injured and thus could not take him up on it anyhow. Even after I recover after I do need to rehab a little before going for it.

    Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.