--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Krav Maga McDojo Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Ok to put this post in context you have to know a little about my training history. 2 years ago I didnt know **** about martial arts but wanted to start training. I had a friend whos into MA and he kept recommending I go to a MMA gym.I didnt know the difference between anything but I saw something about Krav Maga and thought it sounded so badass. The way they market it as insane street defense appealed to me since I had no interest in competition at the time. I was fat from my last job and working off an injury I got from weight lifting.
    So when I started training there with my cousin we had a really easy time learning the techniques. Nothing was difficult to do. We really thought we were accomplishing something... until my friend took me to a Muay Thai class. The difference in techniques were night and day. The MT guys were fast, their kicks and techniques looked crazy, and I noticed they had ALOT of power. I quit going to KM class and found a way out of my contract. The billing company didnt make it easy for me but I got out. It was a 2 year contract btw, thats the only one they offer. Then I tried 2 different MMA gyms. I noticed that the new techniques I was learning actually took time and focus to learn. You dont just walk in the first time and do it right, it required competence and skill.
    Ok fast forward 2 years. Ive been training consistently doing private lessons with my MT trainer and I actually know about martial arts now. I was driving up to my cousins new house and drove by my old Krav Maga gym so I wondered what that stuff would look like to me now. I walked in and watched their class. The whole time I was cringing inside, these were "advanced" guys with brown belts and red belts but they looked like they were moving in slow motion. Ive never seen such sloppy techniques. No one knew how to punch properly, kick properly, grapple properly, everything was done wrong. They had a new "MMA" program that looked like cardio kickboxing mixed with poorly done Jiu Jitsu.
    I saw some red belt there hitting the heavy bag. He threw the slowest/weakest one two combinations Ive ever seen in my life, and some weak ass kick with no pivot in his foot and no movement of the hips whatsoever. Not even instructors knew how to hold pads properly. It was a mess. I mean to put in plain words how bad this gym is. I stopped at Millennia MMA the next day to check out their wrestling and BJJ classes and I saw the cardio kickboxing class. The people in cardio kickboxing could kick and punch harder than the KM students. I've seen students at Muay Thai gyms and MMA gyms who've been training for one month, and look more skilled than the KM instructors. To top it all off, the owner of the Krav Maga gym was trying to sign me up for BJJ for $180 per month. I could sign up for unlimited classes at Millennia for that kind of money. wtf...

Sorry this was so long! I had to put it in context so it could make sense. I almost felt bad writing this because those instructors were nice guys and probably believe in what theyre teaching. But nice or not, bullshido is bullshido. Avoid that mcdojo at all costs. I feel really bad for people who train there for years and still manage to learn nothing.
    Last edited by Sevir; 3/14/2010 12:46pm at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TL;DR

Style
    Books & Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    . . . What exactly are you trying to say? That you found a Krav Maga school with weak/sloppy striking compared to Muay Thai?

Is there some reason you posted this in MABS instead of YMAS or as a school-review?

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah... wrong forum dude...

Style
    bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    report it, guys. that's what the 'report post' button is for.