Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 3:38pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    I'm.... seriously torn between this being an elaborate troll or you being honest.

If you are serious, then why the extreme paranoia? Do you live in a bad area? Do you deal with or have interactions with people with a high propensity for violence?
    No elaborate troll. I am being 100% with you. I don't really consider it paranoia, as much as, being prepared. The area I live in is not the worst, but is bad enough. I have several registered offenders within 2-3 blocks of my house and the "projects" are across the street. As far as dealing with or interacting with violent people, my interaction comes from being the active shooter at training sessions for the local sheriff's department and getting information from the sherrif's department on what is going on in our town. My wife worked for the district court and has dealt with the local criminals for quite some time.

I am sure many think I am paranoid or a bit extreme, but I don't think I am.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 6:59pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Yes, I'm sure they'll be terrified by the guy with his trousers round his ankles, toilet paper hanging out of his butt cheeks, fiddling to get a dripping wet zip-loc open.

Terrified I say.
    Hey, I say surprised. Not terrified.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 7:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My mistake. Yes I'm certain they'll be surprised, and who doesn't like those?

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 7:25pm

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    No elaborate troll. I am being 100% with you. I don't really consider it paranoia, as much as, being prepared. The area I live in is not the worst, but is bad enough. I have several registered offenders within 2-3 blocks of my house and the "projects" are across the street. As far as dealing with or interacting with violent people, my interaction comes from being the active shooter at training sessions for the local sheriff's department and getting information from the sherrif's department on what is going on in our town. My wife worked for the district court and has dealt with the local criminals for quite some time.

I am sure many think I am paranoid or a bit extreme, but I don't think I am.
    Without knowing you personally and based only on what you've posted here, then yes I would ascribe at least some level of general paranoia to you, and I think keeping a gun in every single flipping room of one's house is on the "extreme" side of things. This is simply my opinion however, and is not intended to be sarcastic, condescending, or overly judgmental.

The reason I asked the questions in the previous post is that normally the more... "extreme" folks I've known when it comes to gun ownership are usually one or both of 1. heavily ingrained in 'gun culture' which as I see it includes a certain level of non-specific paranoia, and/or 2. interact with criminals or the dirty underside of society on a near daily basis in some shape or form.

I will state again for the record that I fully support you exercising your right to bear arms (provided you aren't an axe murderer). Just happen to find the level at which you are doing so to be a tad on the excessive side...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 7:46pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whacker-I understand and see where you are coming from. If I talked to someone on a forum that had my stance without knowing them personally, I would take the stance of, "they are a nutter," as well. I am 100% sure that my level of "preparedness" has been driven by my over the top father and those of his acquaintances. To many years of hearing that the Gov. is out to get you and the such.

I am extreme, no doubts there. But extreme in comparison to who? Others will be the judge.

Weak

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 7:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best to be prepared but I've come to a point where I no longer hide knives etc in convenient places around the home as I realise that I'm placing myself in a mindset to escalate violence without gauging a situation. It's taken me a year to get over a girl trying to off herself at my place plus one stupid robbery of my hot water heater from the outside balcony...I was jittery for a while after the events.

Anyway, I realise it's more about mindset and backing yourself when under pressure. Oh, and knowing that anything in the home can be a weapon + home ground advantage :)
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 7:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I keep an uzi in my shower underneath the loofah and I've got a .357 hidden inside a box of Captain Crunch in the kitchen.

I've practiced my home invader speech in the mirror many times. "Sir, can't we please talk this out over a bowl of cereal?"

For the record, I take proper safety precautions by telling my kids that they should never eat sugary crap cereal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 8:03pm

Style: -TKD--BJJ-

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in a equestrian (horse) community, and a neighbor got a horse stolen 2days after x-mas, we don't own horses, we use the stables for my Father-in-laws drywall business, any way the guy just walked to our stable to look if we had taken his horse, I saw him and confronted him at the backyard I yelled and told him to "get the F*k out" I was juiced! he walked toward the house so kept telling him to get out, he kept walking closer to the back door so I closed it the door, ran and punched him in the back of the head, HE FINALLY GOT IT GET THE F*OUT he bolted for the for the street, I ran to call the cops, but went back to make sure he had left, nope he was still looking around for his horse! so I called 911 and got him in my front yard (there is a golf course across the street) 4 golfers watched me do an Ude Garami and ground and pound for all of 2 seconds and I broke my glasses, the serif was already there, the guy had reported the stolen horse and was investigating, he screamed at the guy and told him to wait by his truck, he was young and gave me the thumbs up and asked if I wanted to press charges... I didn't but they came back later to apologize, and I felt like a real BAD-A$$ when I said I could have killed you, next time just Knock and ask to look around, the sheriff told the guy almost $hit his pants. PAIR OF NEW GLASSES $100, LEGALLY KICKING YOUR NEIGHBORS A$$---PRICELESS. it was also pretty stupid I should have just called the cops and waited...lmao... instead of trying to be so GUNG HO...

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 8:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    i've practiced my home invader speech in the mirror many times. "sir, can't we please talk this out over a bowl of cereal?"
    Oh hay I found a toy!

Boom!

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    3/20/2010 8:08pm

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ searcher66071

I don't think you are a "nutter", I just think some of your self-described behaviors are "extreme". You are also correct, there most certainly are other folks that I've read about who are real nutters when it comes to weaponry, survivalism, and the like. I seem to have this memory of guys who own thousands of acres of land, have several "bunkers" built around their property, and have hundreds of guns buried in sched. 40 PVC tubing all over their property so "the man" can't come steal it. People who discuss how much ammo to have "on hand" for when "the day comes", and the like.

We can probably agree that nothing we're discussing is generally black and white, and much of it depends on perspective. From my perspective, firearms fulfill two functions. They kill ****, and they're a source of enjoyment in the form of sport shooting or target practice, like skeet, biathlons, or the Steel shooting events. To me, someone who carries around a loaded weapon constantly does so under the conscious or unconscious belief that there is a very possibly chance that he or she is or will be in mortal danger at any moment or location and will need the weapon for self defense. From this, one could extrapolate that the individual in question has a very dim view of our society. I do not share that view, but then again I don't live right next to the worst part of town, nor do I deal with the very best of world's dumbest criminals on a normal basis.