Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 3:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JayGrissom.com
    Since then his total MMA fight record for both amateur and professional fights is an impressive 42 wins and 3 losses. Professional Fight Record 10-1

WOAH! He's suggesting that he had THIRTY THREE AMATEUR FIGHTS?!?! I don't know any promoter who would throw an amateur in with a guy who had 15 ammy fights, let alone 30. Either the promoters were lied to or this record is nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 3:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of curiosity has anyone on one of those other threads contacted the guy to find out who he got his belt from?

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 3:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to this http://jaygrissom.com/site/ , his full name is JEREMY Grissom, and THIS http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....3435BEA39D2836 has an ammy record for a Jeremy Grissom at 0-1. Can't confirm if it's the same Jeremy Grissom, but they are both from Georgia.
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 3:18pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I was looking for a good picture to compare, but couldn't tell for sure.

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 4:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Finding You

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    Out of curiosity has anyone on one of those other threads contacted the guy to find out who he got his belt from?
    I have. No response at this time.

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 4:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Re: upa's question, a BUNCH of people from mma underground apparently have, with what looks like 0 success. They even found his facebook. I haven't had time to hunt it down yet.

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 4:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just called him and left a message.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 12:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wrestling/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/at...l#post37070927

Alright here's the scoop on this guy.

I seriously didnt mean to dangle the carrot for you guys, I just wanted to go train and didnt have time to write.

I stopped at the school on my way home from Winston Salem and was instantly surprised on how nice the school was. They have a full sized gym, brad new cage, actual wrestling mats (like a highschool again, brand new) and an awesome area with hanging bags.

I saw all this through the door as I looked at the schedule taped in plane view. After taking a quick glance at the class layout I noticed that the BJJ classes are on Mondays and Wednesdays for an hour. So I decided to enter the school an do some scouting on the situation.

When I went inside there were two people working out in the cage and a person behind the desk that was nice enough to answer some questions for me. I started off like I normally do when I go to another school. I introduced myself, gave a brief over view of who I am and mention that I write reviews on schools.

The guy behind the counter was VERY helpful and once the guy in the cage realized that I was having an extended conversation with the guy at the desk he came over and joined into the conversation. Then the guy in the cage chimed in too.

Here is the scoop on this gym, and I feel bad for these guys becuase I think the got taken advantage of.

The Rock MMA is a new gym that has just opened in Huntersville. All of the people that run the gym moved here from Minnesota and they are honest, hard training, bang it out MMA guys... the problem is they ARE NOT BJJ guys.

They realize this and tried to outsource the grappling instruction to a legitimate BJJ instructor and approached a couple different black belts in the area (Alliance, Steve Hall) and were not able to obtain a black belt (hell we only have 4 or 5 in the area). They were then approached by this guy Jay Grissom who says he's a black belt in BJJ. The guys gave him a little trial run (less than a week) and then ended up firing him when they realized something was up.

Apparently the guy would not roll with anyone, ALWAYS wore his tapout hat (even when teaching) and was generally full of bullshit. The head instructor, sensing something was up, asked him who he got his blackbelt from and when the guy couldnt answer the simple question he was basically replaced.

Ok the bad news...1. the really nice guys from out of town, that didnt know any better got taken advantage of by this douche bag. 2. Unknown to them, and without their consent this guy went around and promoted himself as a fighter out of their gym and had a professional looking site made making it look legit and then stated "it's all about how you promote yourself". 3. and probably the worst atrocity of this whole thing is I didnt get to get on the mat with the guy because he's basically disappeared...DAMNIT

Not that I'm a big BJJ police guy, but if you're going to say that you're a black belt at least have a story lined up of who gave it to you, I mean have a good lie LoL. This would seriously have been to easy. After hearing some accounts of how he carried himself I would have been surprised if he would get on the mat with anyone, nevermind me...this dudes lucky that he's not in Brazil because I'm sure someone would have drug him off the mat and played river dance on his face.

Ok the good news. 1. The guys are awesome, they are really down to earth, train hard and have an awesome facility. So that means that we have another school in the area to promote MMA and BJJ. 2. They did actually replace this guy with an honest and legit Brown belt under ...I think it's Marcus Aurelio...please dont quote me on that one right now. I'm going back up there on Thursday and I will give a more in depth class review in my blog.

So there is good news and bad news. I know you guys are bummed to not have any pictures or video but hell maybe he'll show up on Thursday...who knows.

Sorry for the letdown,

The Gerbil

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 12:32am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you get a statement from the school owners about their interactions with Grissom? Email or written would be best.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 10:48am

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, out of curiosity, were the owners from the Twin Cities? Not that I know everybody involved in MMA up here, but I would be curious where/what school they came from originally.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast