Posted On:
    3/24/2010 1:56am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mark Tripp Interview

I found this little gem pokeing around in the past:

(Conducted on May 27/97. Interview by Terry Morley. Special thenks to Ron Simpson for making this interview possible)
    1) What styles of Martial Arts have you studied? To what level?
    Judo - 5th Dan; Jujitsu (Shingitai) 7th Dan; as well as Sombo, Wrestling, Small Circle Jujitsu, Rykyu Kempo, and Isshinryu karate.
    2) What sort of training regimen do you follow?
    Right now, not much as I am getting over a back problem. I believe the best exercise for a given sport is to do that sport. Also I strongly believe in Louie Simmons's work on strength training.
    3) Do you have a special diet that you recommend for people training with you?
    I still think "Eat to Win" is the best, as well as "Optimum Sports Nutrition".
    4) Many people may not be familiar with the name Mark Tripp, how about giving the readers a little background history of yourself.
    I began Judo at age 5. About age 13 I began training in both Judo and Isshinryu Karate. I wrestled for three years in High School, then went into the Army. I did more Judo in the Army and was exposed to many different Martial Arts there. I came home in 1975 and studied until 1985 when I opened my school "The Budokan Judo and Jujitsu Club". This was in honor of my Judo teacher, Frank Hubbard, as this was the name of his school. Sadly, for reasons too long to go into, I had to change the name in 1995. I changed it to the Tripp Academy, feeling that stealing my name would be much harder to do.
    5) Where is your school located?
    We are at 619 East Nine Mile Road in Hazel Park Michigan.
    6) Describe how you helped/trained Dan Severn in preparation for his UFC appearance?
    Dan came to us after losing to Royce. Dan felt, and I agreed, that this loss was because he never saw a triangle before. We exposed Dan to Jujitsu and Judo extensively for three months. Dan is an exceptional wrestler, and had no problems adding these movements to his skills. The results were evident in UFC 5
    7) Have you helped/trained any other fighters in preparation for any other major No Holds Barred events?
    I have worked with a few people, but none of them want to work as hard with me as they need to for such an event. We have a motto here "Learn or Leave". I'm not going to kiss someones rear to make them work, nor am I going to kick it either. You bring the effort to the gym, and I'll coach you. No effort, no Coach.
    8) Is it true that you will be a judge at an upcoming UFC?
    I have been asked. The problem is at the July UFC a Shingitai Jujitsu fighter will be in the event, and it may be unfair to him if I am a judge. You see, my feeling is, if I have to judge one of my students/members at a match, then my student better win outright. If it goes to a judges call, then I'm voting for the other guy no matter what I think.
    9) What is your main focus at your school (ie. NHB fighting, grappling etc...)?
    To teach people how to avoid, evade, and if all else fails, repel, a violent assault. EVERYTHING else we do is second to that.
    10) What are the long term goals for your school?
    I'd like to grow enough so that we can have "starter level" NHB stuff here, as well as many programs to help kids stay off the street and out of trouble.
    11) Do you have any students we should be keeping an eye out for in the near future?
    Well, that would put the pressure on them wouldn't it? Wait till the next UFC.
    12) Which of your achievements are you most proud of? Why?
    Many years ago a friend of mine called me about some trouble at his house. I got there and there were about 30 people on his front lawn, some with baseball bats, etc. I came in the back way and found out that he had a problem with one of these people and things really got out of hand. I went out there and talked to that mob for about an hour, alone and unarmed! It was rough, things were tense, but I talked everyone into going home. The fact that my skills gave me the inner strength to make that happen, without a fight, is my greatest victory. To me, that's better than winning all the NHB belts in the world.
    13) If you could change anything in the martial arts world what would it be?
    I'd set up a commission to get the phoney black belts out of the business! I remember a recent Black Belt editorial about the UFC where they slammed them about lacking "Truth in Advertising", what a joke! Black Belt has ran full page ads from a guy who claims to be an 8th degree black belt in Sport Judo, but has no legitimate registered Judo rank above 1st degree black belt. They run ads from a black belt group that gave a 5th Dan in "five animal Kung-fu to a dog!!! We did that for a local news report. Where is their truth in advertising? What to you think happens when these "paper tigers" set up shop?
    14) What do you think of all the recent problems surrounding No HoldsBarred events in North America (ie. PPV problems, etc.)?
    There is so much to this we really lack the space. I think you have two types of people against this. One is afraid NHB is cutting into their money (boxing promoters, karate schools, etc), the other is trying to stop "violence" without doing anything hard. Banning the UFC is easy, dealing with 15 year old drug dealers is not (actually it is easy to deal with them, but not politically correct to do so)
    Bottom line, we better hang together on this, or we will all hang alone!

http://web.archive.org/web/199802031..._art/tripp.htm
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 3:39am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, some things never go away. The real story is how some people at the Underground reacted to this article.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 7:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, there was a lot more to this interview which was published in Grapple Mag; with techniques from the Academy.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 7:45am

Style: Bjj / Mexican Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For sometime i thought u were " t3h de4dly uchi mata" Tripp.

-However, No points have been deducted to your coolness factor after the realization that you are not.

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 8:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ouchboy View Post
    For sometime i thought u were " t3h de4dly uchi mata" Tripp.

-However, No points have been deducted to your coolness factor after the realization that you are not.
    No that would be Ron. I think in many posts I speak about him so I thought I made it clear I wasn't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 8:16am

Style: Bjj / Mexican Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    No that would be Ron. I think in many posts I speak about him so I thought I made it clear I wasn't.
    I am sorta new and lurk somewhat lightly, so I haven't had the chance to see one of those posts. No fault of your ow nI'm sure.

Anywho, Ur insight (inside knowledge) of UFC is always interesting to read.

:waijima

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 8:27am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Man, some things never go away. The real story is how some people at the Underground reacted to this article.
    Were they butthurt for your students about your high expectations? Or learn or leave?
    How dare you, they are paying you, you must bend over backwards to teach them gently to...uh...fight.

LOL. I think your answers were simple, honest and concise. I wonder what they could of had to whine about?
    On second thought dont tell us, bitches here might have to bitch about it too!

What was your MOS in the ARMY if you dont mind me asking?

Were you in charge of deadly H2H for the Rangers? Or were you just a normal guy because you didnt want to out-excell the entire armed forces? Har.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 8:45am

Style: IRT/FMA/BJJ/BUDO TAIJUTSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool Mark I liked the intereview!

Glad to see that your expectations on people practicing coincide with mine!

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 9:43am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's mostly how my coach does it. He'll push you plenty hard, but if you're not willing to put the work in, he's going to move on to someone who will.

It doesn't sound "fair" from an outside perspective, but you can't really expect to be getting the same attention as the guy who wants to fight if you're hitting the pads barely hard enough to hurt a fly and taking breaks every five minutes. People will say "Oh, well, I'm paying to be there, I should get equal attention", but hey, you ARE paying to be there, so why are you half-assing it?

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 4:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was an 05C, radio teletype operator. I think all that morse code in your head causes mental illness but I digress.

The Underground crap was typical. MFC with Q and his butt boys had just been written up in a local newspaper. LOTS of over the top comments reported such as they were the "ultimate" grappling school in Michigan, etc. I left it alone. Over 50 positive reports about the write up, and I didn't correct matters....

...then the Grappling Mag came out. This of course was a national mag, and a much bigger deal than a write up in a local newspaper. I got about three positive comments...

...then all the **** came simply because ANYTHING that did not reflect MFC as the greatest grappling school in Michigan was ALWAYS a cause for alarm for that group. They raged on the interview, the techniques, etc.

It's interesting to note that Chris Herzog demonstrated the techniques, ask Sambo Steve about him, and was showing moves he had used to win some very big Sambo events.

It would be great to find the actual mag and write up, but I gave them away long ago and have no clue where to find one.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast