Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 11:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post

I had my mom smell my gi jacket, and she said it doesn't smell a thing. I even smelled my pants myself down to the crotch. Nope, not a thing.

As for personal hygiene? I retained a little of my mom's OCD and take a shower twice a day, every day. I put antiperspirant before every practice. I even put extra scrub down there so nobody caught in a triangle can complain.
    This sounds like you retained more than a little of your mom's OCD.

Try taking a shower and forget about it...

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 11:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah after training. I never thought I was a heavy smeller while sweating though. I always thought I didn't smell much of anything, although your perception of that **** is easily warped.

In one year that's the first time I've had it said to me, in my life even. I have regular training partners with whom I'm on friendly terms and they never said a thing. I'm gonna ask them just for kicks.

I don't really want to move on because I don't want the "that guy" reputation when it is entirely undeserved.
    Mef,

I shower before I go to class an after, I always wash my Gi and sometimes throw white vinegar in to get any super stink out and but on deodorant.

If i still stink too fucking bad I have done everything i could

Tell the guy not to be such a prissy pansy and forget about it

(as long as you are doing the right things)

Also maybe someone farted and you got the blame

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 11:58pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I smoked until recently and although I would brush my teeth and shower prior to class that stink is never completely erased. Smoking had the benefit of robbing me of my smell sense (its not the disability Dewey Cox made it out to be in his brilliant autobiopic), which meant unless someone smelt like a sewer (which has happened, but rarely) I have been able to disregard the occasional whiffy partner. My smell sense is coming back the longer I stay away from cigarettes so I am hoping everyone I roll with has impeccable hygiene. Its been years since I've smelt ANYTHING.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 12:30am

Style: Christopher Hitchens-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    sometimes if you just roll for 5 minutes with someone that stinks and then move on to another one, that guys scent still stays on your gi.
    this is possible. maybe you trained with someone who left a bit of a stench on you. it was enough to stay with your for your next training partner's pleasure, but small enough that it dissipated into air after.

but if your gi ever develops a 'stench', use borax.

I use softeners and stuff to make it smell nice too
    this absolutely KILLS your gi, fyi. fabric softeners are sort of like nice smelling bleach.

Dude....I have problems havent I....I hope I dont end up smelling the females butt before mating
    and what's wrong with this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 12:50am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenikim View Post
    this is possible. maybe you trained with someone who left a bit of a stench on you. it was enough to stay with your for your next training partner's pleasure, but small enough that it dissipated into air after.

but if your gi ever develops a 'stench', use borax.

this absolutely KILLS your gi, fyi. fabric softeners are sort of like nice smelling bleach.

and what's wrong with this?

Dude I didnt know softener was bad for it...I liked the smell alot.Need to change the habit I think.

The thing that I was making fun of myself was remembering peoples odors, I can tell who I rolled with that day by smelling my gi :D (I can use my brain to remember too though, so no use)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 1:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude I didnt know softener was bad for it...I liked the smell alot.Need to change the habit I think.

The thing that I was making fun of myself was remembering peoples odors, I can tell who I rolled with that day by smelling my gi :D (I can use my brain to remember too though, so no use)
    i didn't know about it until very recently either. there is a reason why it feels softer. it is breaking down the fabric to make it soft. there are several reasons why a gi wouldn't last long, that people don't normally think of.

1. pre-bleached gi (some people know about this. any pure white gi you buy is a bleached gi, already comprimised. but 99.99% of white gi out there is bleached, so hard to avoid.... if you buy any coloured gi, they won't be bleached. they are dyed unbleached cotton. problem with those is that if you don't treat them right, they bleed colour like a mother fucker.)

2. the sun (some people line dry their gi to kill the bacteria. while good for killing germs, prolonged exposure to UVs will kill the fabric)

3. the dryer (cotton HATES heat. if you tumble dry, turn that heat down)

4. the aforementioned fabric softner.

some people use fabric softner on their gi for years and they don't notice a lot of degradation, but there are others who say it turned their gear into tatters. i think it greatly depends on the quality of your gi as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 2:10am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenikim View Post
    i didn't know about it until very recently either. there is a reason why it feels softer. it is breaking down the fabric to make it soft. there are several reasons why a gi wouldn't last long, that people don't normally think of.

1. pre-bleached gi (some people know about this. any pure white gi you buy is a bleached gi, already comprimised. but 99.99% of white gi out there is bleached, so hard to avoid.... if you buy any coloured gi, they won't be bleached. they are dyed unbleached cotton. problem with those is that if you don't treat them right, they bleed colour like a mother fucker.)

2. the sun (some people line dry their gi to kill the bacteria. while good for killing germs, prolonged exposure to UVs will kill the fabric)

3. the dryer (cotton HATES heat. if you tumble dry, turn that heat down)

4. the aforementioned fabric softner.

some people use fabric softner on their gi for years and they don't notice a lot of degradation, but there are others who say it turned their gear into tatters. i think it greatly depends on the quality of your gi as well.

thanks man good info.

Do you know about those non bleached gis? Some people use it around here, they are cheaper but looks a little shitty.

Used before? If did, I would appreciate some comments.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 2:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks man good info.

Do you know about those non bleached gis? Some people use it around here, they are cheaper but looks a little shitty.

Used before? If did, I would appreciate some comments.
    i had an unbleached single weave gi i bought at at garage sale for ten bucks over 12 years ago, that i just gave away 3 months ago. it was the worst gi i ever owned because it was so thin, and shrunk so much over the years, and it was there as by backup gi's backup gi....

i don't mind shitty looking judogi, though. i think it has character.

there are small companies that sell HIGH ASS QUALITY unbreached gi. one of my first senseis had a custom made gi, i mean real custom with the guy getting the measurements for every body part. well this sensei had to get a custom as he made fat people look skinny,,, this was top notch quality ****. he was so happy and was giddy like a kid when it arrived from japan. i thought all unbleached gis were rough and dirty, but not so. it had an ivory-ish colour and was soft and comfy looking. it wasn't a competition gi though, which was exactly what my sensei wanted. the only competition who would have gone to is maybe a hot dog eating competition. he would have absolutely destroyed that kobayashi kid. i never did ask where and how $ though.

if you want to see how the high quality competition grade unbleached gi looks like, look up older domestic japanese judo tournaments on youtube, like all-japan comp. you'll see that lot of japanese wearing un-bleached gi. i heard that it was the TKD uniform influence that eventually turned judogi to the bleached look.
    Last edited by kenikim; 3/12/2010 3:13am at .

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 7:24am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's a goddamn gi. it's fucking consumable. wash the hell out of it, dry the hell out of it, and don't waste money when you buy it in the first place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 8:33am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't make any sense. Someone said after class that my gi was stinky. "Really stinky" were the words.

Which is downright on the limits of absurdity. It came as quite a shock for me.

My mom is a clean freak, and she's the one who (still) does my washing. My gi is washed after practice every single time, and then left to hang in an aerated space. Not to mention I even rotate between gi.

I had my mom smell my gi jacket, and she said it doesn't smell a thing. I even smelled my pants myself down to the crotch. Nope, not a thing.

As for personal hygiene? I retained a little of my mom's OCD and take a shower twice a day, every day. I put antiperspirant before every practice. I even put extra scrub down there so nobody caught in a triangle can complain.

I can understand that some people have body odors that are naturally unpleasant, but to my knowledge I never was one of them. Nobody in the house smokes or does anything with a bad smell. I am throughsly confused.

Halp?
    Your posts (and Osaka Peach's) are funny. Is it something about Quebec City?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast