Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 10:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I've finally returned to boxing...sorta

First time boxing in about 2-3 years tonight. There's a guy in my squadron that was Captain of his school's boxing team, who is a little shorter and lighter than me that wants to train. We sparred for the first time tonight, which was the first time either of us has laced up in a long time.

Like some folks that trained ammy rules, he was a head hunter, and I abused this by going for a lot of body shots. Unfortunately, I couldn't hit his head at all, except with a couple of jabs and some lazy hooks. I was actually way more slippery in my defense than I had ever been before, which seems to go with my theory that the less I train the better I get. I was able to bob, weave, and slip a lot of his punches, but I didn't do anything from there. I need to work on moving forward and throwing when I evade, rather than just standing there and making him miss.

I boxed mainly peek a boo, because it's the only thing I knew, but ended up using some philly shell when I gassed and didn't want to hold my hands up. My right still sucks because after 5 dislocations I'm still gunshy. He was able to train my footwork a bit, and I learned how to cut off the ring by moving laterally.

I posted in YMAS because this thread contributes nothing, but I'm just psyched to get back after such a long break. We're trying to schedule some regular training, and hopefully I'll hear back from the 1 school in town.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 11:58pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is this philly shell you speak of?

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 12:15am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YouTube- Floyd Mayweather Jr Master of Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Philly Shell or Crab - The lead arm (left for an orthodox fighter and right for a southpaw) is placed across the torso usually somewhere in between the belly button and chest and the lead hand rests on the opposite side of the fighter's torso. The back hand is placed on the side of the face (right side for orthodox fighters and left side for southpaws). The lead shoulder is brought in tight against the side of the face (left side for orthodox fighters and right side for southpaws). This style is used by fighters who like to counterpunch. To execute this guard a fighter must be very athletic and experienced. This style is so effective for counterpunching because it allows fighters to slip punches by rotating and dipping their upper body and causing blows to glance off the fighter. After the punch glances off, the fighter's back hand is in perfect position to hit their out-of-position opponent. The shoulder lean is used in this stance. To execute the shoulder lean a fighter rotates and ducks (to the right for orthodox fighters and to the left for southpaws) when their opponents punch is coming towards them and then rotates back towards their opponent while their opponent is bringing their hand back. The fighter will throw a punch with their back hand as they are rotating towards their undefended opponent. James Toney and Floyd Mayweather Jr. execute the shoulder lean perfectly according to technique. The weakness to this style is that when a fighter is stationary and not rotating they are open to be hit so a fighter must be athletic and well conditioned to effectively execute this style. To beat this style, fighters like to jab their opponents shoulder causing the shoulder and arm to be in pain and to demobilize that arm.
    Glad you're back in training, Em!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 2:02pm

Style: Boxing/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    YouTube- Floyd Mayweather Jr Master of Defense

Glad you're back in training, Em!
    Mayweather is so damned slick and his reaction time is godly :love7:

I usually can't avoid punches too good so I box from the outside and make that insane reach do it's work

congrats for starting boxing again!

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 10:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I got no reach. At 5'9 and 205, I'm always the short guy for my weight class, so I've learned how to defend and land some heavy blows whenever I get the chance.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 10:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats Emevas, hopefully I'll be following you're example soon and I'll finally find a muay thai gym to call my own.

P.S. Post vids or do a ghetto gym review.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 11:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's no gym to review, haha. I'll try to get video sometime, so that youtube can tell me I suck, just like my lifting videos.
    "Emevas,

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 6:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Yeah, I got no reach. At 5'9 and 205, I'm always the short guy for my weight class, so I've learned how to defend and land some heavy blows whenever I get the chance.
    Being she short guy is fun. There's alot to be said for being able to land a full power right cross inside
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 2:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm more a fan of shovel hooks from the clinch, haha.
    "Emevas,

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 2:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I'm more a fan of shovel hooks from the clinch, haha.
    Amen .

It is one of the few places I seem to be able to really generate power with my hands . Training partners and instructors say it is where I keep my elbows when under pressure and defending or initiating a clinch .

I blame my early kung fu training .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast