Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Baguazhang?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Baguazhang?

I've been looking into learning a martial art for a while now. After some preliminary research, the only non-McDojo is a Baguazhang school :http://www.bluedragonkungfu.com/

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the head instructor or the style itself.

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the place you refer to as a non-mcdojo????? What are you looking to get out of martial arts?

Style
    Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There does seem to be a few McDojo elements—the hard sell, the need for a "uniform" (does bagua not work in your own T-shirt and exercise pants?), the gushing over the free lesson, the sash/belt system for an art not known for having such a thing etc. But some stuff may just be puffery; the important McDojo test depends on the actual price of classes, uniforms, belt tests, and whether the contract is grasping. McDojos do tend to do the same sort of hard sell as this school seems to be doing.

I'd be interested to see what their sparring classes look like.

Style
    Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found this on their Chi Kung page:

Are the classes expensive?
    Simply put, there is no price you can put on your health. Without your health you cannot truly enjoy what life has to offer. So regardless of whatever exercise program you choose whether it is Tai Chi, Yoga or a Qigong class, don’t let money stand in the way of healthy living. And fortunately, at the Blue Dragon, we help you get the most value from your dollar by allowing you to attend as many Chi Kung classes a week as you wish once you have joined our program.

I'd skip it. Here's my translation:

Are you a McDojo?
    Yes!

Style
    Kenkojuku Karate, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, in literally 10 seconds of Googling I found MT, BJJ, Judo in the same town as that school and who knows what else is within your willing-to-travel distance.

So, umm, just how preliminary was this "preliminary research" you did?

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neither Yin Fu, Cheung Ting, nor any other Bagua lineages I know of use a sash system; I'll forward this to some of my bagua nerd friends to see what they have to say.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Are you a McDojo?
    Yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by default View Post
    This is the place you refer to as a non-mcdojo?????
    I guess I underestimated my own noob-ness :angry7:
    I'm just gonna leave and never come back.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by craigerymontoya View Post
    I guess I underestimated my own noob-ness :angry7:
    I'm just gonna leave and never come back.
    Yeah some of those answers were a little overly harsh.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StIdesBrew View Post
    Yeah some of those answers were a little overly harsh.
    Not at all. Those answers were honest, straight forward, and helpful. The OP has Judo, BJJ, and Muay Thai within the same town as the referenced school.

If you want to fight, go to one of the above. If you want to man-dance, then don't.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    Not at all. Those answers were honest, straight forward, and helpful. The OP has Judo, BJJ, and Muay Thai within the same town as the referenced school.

If you want to fight, go to one of the above. If you want to man-dance, then don't.
    I agree that they were honest, and correct. But as I was reading the thread I felt bad for the guy and felt he was being ripped on a little and when I got to the bottom I was not surprised to see he was going to leave the forum.

There are ways to point out someone's mistakes without making them look like a total douche. He came here as a first time poster for a little guidance, and as a new person who didn't really know what to expect. But he posted anyway, hoping for some helpful responses from a bunch of more experienced and knowlegable people, and instead was kinda ragged on by some (not all) of the people who replied to him.

I would be upset too, and was kinda upset for him. Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last