Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 6:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

tall guy o soto gari

since i'm over 6 feet tall, when i do an o soto gari against someone shorter than me, would it be advisable for me to try to sweep both legs or just the one closest to me?

i've caught both legs at the same time by accident, and my o soto was much stronger, but i'm not sure if this is something i should go for, or if it would hinder my throw.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 6:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as I can imagine what you're doing, wouldn't there be a risk of your balance being disrupted? as you'd have to step almost fully past uke alot of the time to deliberately hunt both legs
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 6:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You want to do it "russian" if you are that tall. Get an over the back belt grip and bury them.

Take one or both legs; no matter. I would go for the one, and if you get two its Christmas... ummm.... well Hanaka... throw him 11 times or is it 12 times?

Just slam them ok?
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 6:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    depending on how long your legs are relative to your partner (and how far apart they are), sweeping both legs is a viable alternative. I think it turns into a different throw, though, in keeping with the technical semantics.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when i caught both legs before, it was against an ikkyu who was 5'6 and maybe 150-160. i'm 6'5 and about 215-220. so, in that sense, i guess it's try NOT getting both legs.
    and mark, it's 8 days of channuka, but i will remember the over the back belt grip.
    is grabbing an obi not a no no in judo?
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as you don't hang on for too long (i think it's 30 seconds?), it's okay.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 7:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by White Kimbo View Post
    when i caught both legs before, it was against an ikkyu who was 5'6 and maybe 150-160. i'm 6'5 and about 215-220. so, in that sense, i guess it's try NOT getting both legs.
    and mark, it's 8 days of channuka, but i will remember the over the back belt grip.
    is grabbing an obi not a no no in judo?
    Bite me monkey boy, I was in a hurry for the joke....

You can grab it and attack, you can't grab it and hold on with no attack.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 12:35am

Style: Christopher Hitchens-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    As long as you don't hang on for too long (i think it's 30 seconds?), it's okay.
    3 to 5...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 12:48am

Style: Christopher Hitchens-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when you sweep both legs, it's called o soto guruma.

o soto guruma doesn't happen very often, when it does, it is usually in the situation you've found yourself in; big/tall on small/short.

and there is a combination that is very 'unhealthy' for the uke.... i am not sure how my description sounds with words, without the visuals,,,, but here it goes. first, go for just normal o soto gari, and once you are well into the throw, get your sweeping leg out and sweep the far leg.... it will get you a 'little' air..... the uke will a human origami and fold in half if you do it just right. i frigging hate this throw.

and i LOVE belt grips. use them all the time. i alternate between belt grib and the gi fabric right above the belt to circumvent the 3-5 second rule. i actually hardly use collar grips anymore. it's either obi-sode or sode-sode.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 2:02am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    You want to do it "russian" if you are that tall. Get an over the back belt grip and bury them.

Take one or both legs; no matter. I would go for the one, and if you get two its Christmas... ummm.... well Hanaka... throw him 11 times or is it 12 times?

Just slam them ok?
    Mark, does it matter where the second leg hits the opponent's? From memory, we were taught to reap high, i.e. a genuine reaping movement with our upper leg on theirs, not just hitting the bottom of the leg (as I was taught in Karate).
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast